Thread: "New" 444

Default "New" 444

Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms did a great job cutting the 444XLR down to 18. Had him install a big lever loop and bear proof injector too. Hoping to shoot some LeveRevlolution and handloads thru it if I can find the mystical shooting range that does or does not exist in the Gulkana/Glennallen area.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good looking rifle for sure.Hope you get many great memories from it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Dandy rig!

Try some 300 grain Hawk bullets in it, and I bet you'll be a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms did a great job cutting the 444XLR down to 18. Had him install a big lever loop and bear proof injector too. Hoping to shoot some LeveRevlolution and handloads thru it if I can find the mystical shooting range that does or does not exist in the Gulkana/Glennallen area.

Tim
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...en+rifle+range
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Gotta love a 444 just for you. I hope she remains one of your favorites.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I too just acquired a 444. And like you I couldn't live with the 24" barrel on the thing. I know it will cost me some velocity but the thing just handled like a telephone pole with that long tube. Mine is a second year of production gun, with the wacky Monkey Carlo straight grip stock and the bbl band forend and mag tube arrangement, strange looking rifle in factory form. I cut mine back to 20" and mounted an old Redfield Sourdough front sight in a new style Marlin ramp with one of our Ghostrings on the rear. The more I handle it now the more I'm liking the idea of having a 444, wasn't sure at first what with having a 45/70 and all. Let me know what you come up with when you start loading for it. I plan to use either the 300gr Speer Unicore or the 270gr Speer Golddot FN as of now. I need to come up with some brass though, haven't been able to locate any in town as of yet. Any of you guys with more 444 experience than me have a better powder suggestion than H4198, that's what I've been using for a friend when I load 444 for him but I haven't chronoed any of it, if it's loud he is happy.

Try 310 gr GC on top of RL 7. Works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I plan to use either the 300gr Speer Unicore or the 270gr Speer Golddot FN as of now. I need to come up with some brass though, haven't been able to locate any in town as of yet. Any of you guys with more 444 experience than me have a better powder suggestion than H4198, that's what I've been using for a friend when I load 444 for him but I haven't chronoed any of it, if it's loud he is happy.
    The Speer 300 will be dandy at 444 velocities, giving reliable expansion and penetration up through moose-size critters. I pushed them a couple of hundred feet faster than a 444 from a wildcat (2200fps), and based on expansion on deer inside 50 yards, I'd be leery of it going much faster than 2k on moose up close. That's why I went to the Hawk, and it's enough tougher to make a big difference at over 2k.

4198 was my go-to powder with 444, giving better accuracy and velocity from my gun that RL7. Interesting enough, RL7 gets the nod in my wildcat, perhaps due to the greater case capacity and a small shoulder.

Very nice rig! Stuff'r full of Leverloutions and hang on for the ride!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post

Tim
    \

great looking rifle! i agree with the leverevolution ammunition suggestion as it combines velocity with penetration. cast bullets are useful as well, and can be much cheaper. with the right ammo, what a 45-70 will do a 444 will do. i have tuned several marlins, and found the benefit from working jb paste on the bolt and lever. it is a simple chore requiring only application, then spend time working the lever. jb cleans up easily afterwards.
    with my short rifle i mounted talley extra low mounts and like them! best of luck with your fine rifle!!
    happy trails.
    jh

Mine is a second year of production gun, with the wacky Monkey Carlo straight grip stock and the bbl band forend and mag tube arrangement, strange looking rifle in factory form.
    Its nice being my friend aint it

Pine, as per usual, sharp equipment ya got there!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

10-4 there Chief, I might even be in on time tomorrow.