Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canning salmon first timer, ingredient ?

Default Canning salmon first timer, ingredient ?

Hi,
    Just bought an All American last night. I have skinned my salmon, marinated the salmon for 1 hour in a 50/50 soy brown sugar solution. I bought hot sauce and canned jalapenos slices with the hopes of adding it to 1/2 pint jars. Salmon is in fridge waiting for jarring.

I was wondering how one would place the other ingredients in jars (first or last) and recommendations on amounts for 1/2 pint jars.
    Thanks in advance
    Mike
    Got a few of it down

Doesn't matter where it sits in the can/jar. It will infuse the meat as it seals/cooks in the jar during processing. I use about 1/2 jalapeno per 1/2 pint jar and there is a little heat, just enough to give it a little "zing".
    Try adding a tsp of olive oil and/or a dash of brown sugar to a couple jars and see what you think.
    BK

don't fill the jars so full that the meat/ingredients are touching the lid - keep it down a little bit.

50/50 BS to Soy seems like a lot of salt flavor to me - but you may love it.

Try some salsa on top - it is good.

Fish first, 3 to 4 slices of Fresh Jalapeno on top and a tiny bit of kosher - then Can it. dont over fill the jars - leave an inch of headspace or you wont get good seals

I think your 50/50 solution is going to make the fish way too salty/sweet, but you never know you might as well try it. Canning will intensify salt flavor. I leave the bones in and lately the skin too, no diff in taste if you ask me, and ALOT less prep time.

follow the directions to a T. dont skimp on time, and never lose sight of that canner while you are canning

Canned Jalapeno wont work for heat - its already been canned once - use fresh. Cerrano's work good too.

Since you are using 1/2 pint jars, cut the fish into chunks. That way you fill more space with salmon, and will use fewer jars. For your extras--- make a small batch first and try a sample out of one of the jars when it cools down. You may notice an intensity of flavor, or by using the canned jalapenos- find unpleasant color changes and tastes. You can adjust easier before you can than after. I usually just add salt on top of fish, lid, and can. In other words, keep fish as fresh as possible, then put up. You can open up the jalapenos to serve when you open up a jar of salmon. A friend of mine add pickled califlower to part of his canned salmon, the flavor goes thru ALL of it. But, it is nice for snacks, and such. Just not a meal, or making salmon spead. I like to make salmon and pasta (noodles), sorta like my mother used to make tuna and noodles when I was a lot younger.

Chris

You can add all sorts of ingredients. Some folks brine and do a light smoke first, but I find that takes too much time so I just can it fresh. If I want it to taste smoked I put hickory smoke powder in. 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt seems about right for me, but I like a lot of salt.

We have put some of the following in our cans:

Salsa
    Hickory smoke powder
    dill
    fresh garlic
    onion powder
    mustard powder
    mustard - regular and fancy
    cabelas fish spice
    jalepenos
    serranos

I also like just plain fish - no adders. Don't be afraid to experiment.

I do the Brown sugar/soy/dried onion/black pepper brine only when I smoke the fish after the brine. Honey or pineapple juice is also good added to a brine with a little soy sauce. Raw pack is what it is...just chunks of fresh fish with maybe a few spices, dill or a little onion is good or peppers added to the jars before canning. I tend to layer the spices and chopped peppers in with the fish as I fill the jars rather than just throw it all on top...but to each their own. I grow Hot Thai peppers so that is what I chop and add to some of the cans before canning. A little goes a long ways since those are fairly hot peppers. If I am canning smoked fish with pineapple in the brine I'll add a few diced peppers and just a bit of crushed pineapple to the jars too and the taste compliments the fish very nicely. Mix and match it up...then sample some of your first batch and taste what you like the best. It is fun to have a variety. Avoid overfilling jars and keep the heat as steady as possible to avoid over venting of the jars and losing some of that precious liquids and natural oil.

All good suggestions here.
    Hope this helps,
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default sample, don't assume

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    Since you are using 1/2 pint jars, cut the fish into chunks. That way you fill more space with salmon, and will use fewer jars. For your extras--- make a small batch first and try a sample out of one of the jars when it cools down.
    Yes, when you're new ALWAYS sample one of every batch. After they cool you may have one that won't seal; that's the one to sample and if you can't right away, fridge it for a day then sample it.

Keep a log of what you like and don't like, and you'll hone in on your favorite in no time. This is fun stuff.

Either a whole sliced jalepeno or a whole sliced habanero along with 1/2 tsp of seasoned salt. We haven't experimented much yet, but those two varieties are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Either a whole sliced jalepeno or a whole sliced habanero along with 1/2 tsp of seasoned salt. We haven't experimented much yet, but those two varieties are great.
    To each their own, but I'm be more inclined to use those (large, imo) quantities in one pint jars, not in half pint jars.

I should have specified that we use one pint jars. Fair point.

I don't think it's worth using 1/2 pint jars for anything exept maybe jars of jam for Christmas
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Actually I usually use quart jars now a days. I will do a couple of cases of pints for my Mother, but I use quarts due to the fact that makes just enough for a meal in one jar. For seasoning, mostly just a teaspoon of salt- you can season fairly easiely when you open up the jars and fix your meal.

Chris

Default Like Burger King you can have it YOUR WAY

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    I don't think it's worth using 1/2 pint jars for anything exept maybe jars of jam for Christmas
    My 1/2 pint jars are solely for when I'm snacking alone and want to finish it at a single sitting. At larger affairs (like Christmas) I always pull out the pints instead.

But that's the cool thing; we each get to do it our own way; size of containers, how hot is too hot, is chipotle as good as jalapeno or habanero? etc... And what spices to add it it. Onion is one of my favorite additions.

One quick tip: try the chipotle cubes from Knorrs; each is wrapped and many are in each jar. Works great (amount to use is as per your taste, but consider about one cube per pint to start) and its easier than dealing with real peppers when you've already got too much on your plate that day. But hey, not everyone likes chipotle; its a smoked pepper.

FamilyMan, do those cubes dissolve easy? Or do you break them up? I've seen them advertized, but have never tried them.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    FamilyMan, do those cubes dissolve easy? Or do you break them up? I've seen them advertized, but have never tried them.

Chris
    I do nothing to break them up. In a 1/2 pint I use my sharp skinning knife to try to cut them in half; always resulting in some pieces though mostly whole. In a full pint, I throw one in whole. In the finished product, they're not visible, so they must break down into powder pretty good.

Chipotle is a little heavier tasting than jalapeno. A bit of an acquired taste, if you ask me. But I like it.

FamilyMan, that for the info.

Chris

This is a basic question I am sure, but when canning do you add any water to the mix or just the seasoning and maybe a little EVOO?
    Thanks
    Will

Will, just add a table spoon of olive oil. If you smoke your fish too long, it dries out. Just do an hour of smoking , let the pieces dry some then put into jars.Then can.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thumbs up yes, and onion too

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Will, just add a table spoon of olive oil. If you smoke your fish too long, it dries out. Just do an hour of smoking , let the pieces dry some then put into jars.Then can.
    Yes, I do that too. Also a little onion is never a bad thing; it also adds a bit of moisture to smoked/canned salmon and adds to flavor too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast