Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What shape are Upper Kenai Reds in?

Default What shape are Upper Kenai Reds in?

I'm looking to head down on Thursday to fish the upper and wondering how the 2nd run reds are looking. Caught some on the middle and they looked nice yesterday. But I'm not doing that again, rowed a cataraft all the way from skilak to bings and that was a long long day!

Holly crap that is a long ways....No idea on the reds.

You have to weed through the tomatoes to find the chromers, they are definitely in there. We found most of the chromers below the powerline on Saturday, I'd imagine there are even more in the system now then last weekend.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Definitely good fish up there last Sunday; but like bigcox said you will need to wade throught the blushed one. Watch out for bears.082.jpg116.jpg

I imagine that there are a ton on the way for the upper. Going through Skilak near the outlet, the were fish every where around the cat as we were rowing along. It was pretty incredible. The middle was also really high and the upper looked like it was in great shape as we drove by on the way home.

I went down the Russian / sanctuary area last night hoping to pick up a fish or two.

However - the area is essentially dead. I saw one well blushed fish hooked just below the mouth of the Russian.

Holes like the Cottonwood were totally empty - not even a 'bow evident.

What was really amazing though was that there were no carcass or remains anywhere - and no seagulls. It was strangely quite. I've never seen it like this the last week of July!

Something wierd happening - and it isn't good.

Likewise the parking lots were near empty in the campground.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

heading down tonight to float the upper. so it sounds like the upper kenai proper is filling up with fish (blushed or not), but none of them are russian-river bound. Sad. Didn't think it could get much worse than the early run.

I recall last year that they all got lost in Skilak for what seemed like month, but the lake was also really high b/c of the never-ending rain we "enjoyed" last summer. Wonder if that had something to do with it (??)

water temp might have had a some thing to do with it.

Riley. Get your ass in your raft and float the upper. Fish are there. Im floating friday.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Riley. Get your ass in your raft and float the upper. Fish are there. Im floating friday.
    git er dun.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

For every firetruck there are 50 dime bright chromers behind them. My buddy has been down there all week with my drifter. Once you get below windy corner the fishing has been hot. Dont go down the back channels though. No fish there

Floated it yesterday. I would put the number of blushed to bright fish and 3 to 1 in favor of the blushed fish. I was pretty surprised at how many of them had significant color. I was specifically looking for fish for the canner, though, so those blushed ones were just fine. Fishing got better as we got lower. It was never as good as I was expecting, but it was certainly better than decent.

wow I had buddies on the river and said it was good. Either way. you dont know unless you go. Thanks for the update Brian

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

027.jpgI'll be taking a new friend from Oregon,Jammer,out Thursday in my minidrifter.We kayaked the lower river on Monday and he had a blast.This is his 1st time on the Kenai and I think he likes it.Should be good timing as well as a good time

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    027.jpgI'll be taking a new friend from Oregon,Jammer,out Thursday in my minidrifter.We kayaked the lower river on Monday and he had a blast.This is his 1st time on the Kenai and I think he likes it.Should be good timing as well as a good time
    Good luck out there Mark. Keep us posted on how you do.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Hey Chuck, Rose and I are heading down in the morning and will give it a go. Rose is chomping at the bit to get back on the river. No sooner were we on our way home from the river on Monday and she was asking if we could go again on Thursday. I've created a monster I think! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Hey Chuck, Rose and I are heading down in the morning and will give it a go. Rose is chomping at the bit to get back on the river. No sooner were we on our way home from the river on Monday and she was asking if we could go again on Thursday. I've created a monster I think! LOL!
    Go get em. If you see the goddess on the river go introduce yourself. Jamie will be on the sticks and my buddy John and his wife wendy fishing.

No worries for fish. I floated the upper (bridge above Russian to Jim's) last Sunday. I got my limit and only kept two that were starting to turn. One of the nicest chromers I caught above the Russian. As others have said, you have to pick and choose. Just above Jim's I found a really good spot on a gravel bar that seemed to be where they were funneling through and most were chrome there. I expect this coming weekend to be fantastic on the upper.

Nice to hear you guys are getting into fish.
    What are some of the spots in the upper to hit for shorebound anglers?

I keep driving down to Soldotna but it would be nice to save a couple of hours of driving. thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Nice to hear you guys are getting into fish.
    What are some of the spots in the upper to hit for shorebound anglers?

I keep driving down to Soldotna but it would be nice to save a couple of hours of driving. thanks
    HIt mile 57 hole. right by mile marker 57 park and walk in 1/4 mile. try there. Try just below jims too. People getting them coming out of the canyon right there too soda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast