Thread: boating from anchorage to Anchor point or driving.

Default boating from anchorage to Anchor point or driving.

Ok, which way would be faster and burns less fuel? if I launch from Anchorage and boated down to Anchor point or drive down to Anchor Point and launch from there?

Never tried it and never would. It wouldn't be an issue if the weather and seas cooperated the whole way on both legs. But if not, you'll be looking for a hidey hole and maybe spending a night or two waiting it out. That's even with a suitable boat and all safety assured. If your boat is marginal for sour running on those waters, what's your life and that of your companions worth?

For comparison, I have a one hour drive from my house to town, but I can make it in half an hour in my boat by cutting across some bays when weather is good. Longest run took me 5 hours and beat me half to death. Some days I was stuck in town with my truck at home. Some days I had my truck in town, but got stuck at home two or three days waiting for the weather to lay down so I could reunite with my truck.

Trailer the boat and buy whatever fuel it takes to drive.

they are discussing this in the power boating section right now, you should check that out. some good answers in there from guys who know more than I do about it.

This has been gone over on this forum before, more than once. The outcome was that it was better to drive. I think if you do the math it's a lot cheaper to drive there, and a lot safer. (If you consider the Seward highway "safe" )
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by CombatSalmon View Post
    Ok, which way would be faster and burns less fuel? if I launch from Anchorage and boated down to Anchor point or drive down to Anchor Point and launch from there?
    I've never seen a discussion on this subject so I'll chime in. It seems to me if you left just after high water and caught the ebb down and planned on riding the flood back I think it might be a pretty quick trip

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

a car will burn less fuel, no doubt about it, a small skiff with a super efficient 4 stroke burns 3 or 4 gallons an hour, a boat that would be safe to do this trip in probably burns at a minimum 9 or 10 gal/hr, and the speed is cut in half.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

not a very scenic trip and not as economical as driving, but for a person that loves boating.....................
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Kind of off topic, but...I have often entertained the idea of launching out of Anchorage a heading for Polly creek for clams. Guess I'm pretty well talked out of that one... So where would the most logical place to launch from be if I did the drive? Mouth of Kenai, Ninilchik?