Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to pick the right bead?

Default How to pick the right bead?

Being fairly new at bead fishing, I have struggled to find the correct bead color and size on many occasions. Floating every thing i have past some fish just to watch them swim over and pass on my beads. I've seen some of you with an extensive collection of beads and im slowing building mine as well. But the biggest question is how do i know what bead to use that day. Is it just trial and error? With so many choices I would spend all day changing beads. So there has to be something else to it.

Look in the water for some natural eggs, pick one up and match it to the closest match you have in your box.
    There can be a bunch of different sizes and colours in the river at any one time so just pick the most prevelent one.
    If the fish still refuse and you are fishing clear water change your tippet to a piece of 6 or 8 pound flourocarbon.

Also when you pick the egg up match the color of it when it's in the water. You will be surprised at the color change.

Go with this kit, it will have you pretty well covered:

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...ypage.tpl.html

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

All good points in here.........anther thing I noticed to is try not to mess with your drift or your line when your line is in the "strike zone". You wouldn't believe how many fish people miss because they have to mend the line or what not while the bead is in the zone....... leave it alone.

Also look at trout beads .com
    They have good stuff you can use and paint.

If you catch a fish, a lot of times they will puke up eggs. That's usually the best indication what they are eating.

I would suggest focusing on your technique, depth, and presentation more so than the bead. We all talk about beads, it is fun, and honestly, it is easier to change the bead than the way you fish. But it could very well be the technique that is wrong, not the bead on the end of the line. Classic archer, not arrow, situation in my opinion. And yes, I do carry hundreds of beads myself. ha ha...

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Another good source if you haven't caught any bows yet is to ask the local shops and find the egg size and color most abundant in the river. At this time it will be the reds and the kings eggs that you're going to match. The color variation can be dramatic depending on the water temp and how long they have been floating down the river. Keep those beads bouncing around the bottom a's much a's possible, just as the naturals will do.

I just look at what my wife is using. That is no lie. Alot of times for us is something with a white swirl in it. All the previous posts do carry great info
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Technique is obviously a huge factor, but technique mixed with the right bead is what catches the big fish. Yes color makes a huge difference. Don't get me wrong any bead in orange/ red/ and peach will catch fish, but you will know when you have the right color dialed in.

Agree with Dan - focus on technique ... and feel.
    Those things: depth, presentation... get you in the ballpark ... do more to elicit a take than the fly/bead specifically IMO.
    Of course, great mentors like Curt Trout, made a science of beads and finding ones that work best - probly some truth there.
    Yet, look at the Jerry Garcia a purple, yellow, red glo-bug combination sometimes very effective on steelhead - if the fish are looking for something different and you serve it up right - bingo. Whenever they're looking for anything specifically (somedays it does seem they like a certain bead or other fly), it's still gotta be served up right.

But in my case, I'd have to say there's one thing more - feel. I wonder if most newbies don't get more takes than they realize, but simply miss fish. Awhile back, I fished a few days with good friends who have decades more experience - and they were catching many more fish...6-10 maybe more to my one. The gear wasn't exactly the same, but the beads were.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I would suggest focusing on your technique, depth, and presentation more so than the bead. We all talk about beads, it is fun, and honestly, it is easier to change the bead than the way you fish. But it could very well be the technique that is wrong, not the bead on the end of the line. Classic archer, not arrow, situation in my opinion. And yes, I do carry hundreds of beads myself. ha ha...

-Dan

Guess I never thought much about my presentation other than just throwing the bead out there and letting it bounce down.
    Ill be at quartz creek this weekend to touch up

I 100% agree with what others are saying. But also, I think a little deductive reasoning can go a long way as well. For example, the first thing you have to ask yourself is what fish are in the river at the time. That is going to narrow down what size bead you are using. 6mm for pinks and reds, 8mm for silvers and chums, 10 mm for Kings etc. Then you gotta think about color. If they eggs are just dropping, then you want to use a color that matches a fresh egg appearance. Like Tangerine or Natural Roe etc. If the eggs are old and washed out then you want to use a color that matches a dead egg. You get the drift. Just think about what is going on in the river at the time and match the hatch. I agree if you can actually find an egg in the water or coming out a fishes mouth, then that is best, but you might not always have that luxury. Good luck.

One other thing to consider. River full of eggs. Perhaps not matching the hatch is what gets fishes attention. Would possibly explain why folks fishing various beads all catch fish on a given day. Just depends on how you look at it.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

how would you guys rate the troutbeads.com alaska package?

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    how would you guys rate the troutbeads.com alaska package?
    I never tried em, but they look good to me. I usually buy them in bulk and paint them with nail polish myself. Actually I have my daughter paint them. But I am sure they would work fine.

I have the trout beads alaska package, as well as every package they offer, plus TONS of single packages I bought to customize...THEY ARE ALL SUPERB! infact, I spend dozens of hours painting beads, while the TB's work just as well without any altering...

You wont be dissapointed

I picked up this kit w/ huge assortment of beads from Sportsmans Warehouse an the dang hole in them is too big to pin them w/ a toothpick, gosh I was pissed when I figured that out cause now I have about 200 beads w/ every color of the rainbow and the dern things are worthless! FWIW gocorn1, I had the same problem you're having last year and bigcox lined me out, now I'm one bad mofo w/ a bead! Color doesn't seem to be an issue Heres the http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ittle+su+beads

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I hope they were cheap, because beads with too large of holes are not worth the effort

Lots of good info on this thread, but here is a zinger. I catch a lot of fish on beads at ice out in early spring without a single egg in the drainage. I believe they hit on instinct as well.

Sometimes it is not as important to match, but then there is the Kenai. It seems you have to match nearly exactly what is bouncing downstream to catch fish somedays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast