Thread: is she trying to impress me?

Default is she trying to impress me?

Here is the scoop. When I am home, my dog doesn't eat chickens till I am, say, down in the barn,and there is a chicken down in the barn, and she always stalks it. with out fail. and I'll be holding a chicken, looking at a cut on it or something and she will come over and nip at its neck. or we'll be running down to the barn, and if we "flush" a chicken when we open the door, she will jump at it and try to grab its tail.

Yet when I'm at work, or in the house and she is out side, she never even comes close to the chickens (unless they come over to her) not once have I ever been gone when she has ate a chicken, its always been when I was out side with her.

So, do you think she is just trying to impress me? She really likes me, (so much that if I go into the bath room she sits beside the door and waits) she follows me every where, when I leave for work she lays down and sulks next to something that smells like me (say a coat) and when I get home she is constantly there, right beside me.

Anyway. waddya think?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Or she's jealous
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

You leave the dog alone with live chickens within reach ? Surely you are smarter than the dog. Just assuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    You leave the dog alone with live chickens within reach ? Surely you are smarter than the dog. Just assuming.
    No I'm not smarter than the dog. she can get out o a 8 foot high, 6 inch buried 20X15 kennel in 15 minutes when I leave
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

There is no reason you can't teach a dog to respect birds, or anything for that matter, in certain situations.

My guess is the dog kills the birds because she is bored and you give her attention when she kills a chicken. It's thrilling for her.

Channel her instincts and provide a ton of exercise and your problem is solved. May I suggest grouse hunting