Thread: grouse gun for new, but grown up, hunter.

Default grouse gun for new, but grown up, hunter.

Hey all, There is a lady from our church that wants me to take here grouse hunting and fishing this fall (never hunted, nor fished before) I have a good spot I've been lettin the grouse build up thier numbers that I might take her to, but I don't know what to have her shoot.

these are the guns I can let here use

1- 10-22 with a 2 power scope
    1 -10-22 with a 3X9
    1 "trapline gun" with open sights.
    1 410 Ga with a full choke and a 20 inch barrel (H&R)
    1 20 Ga with a modified choke and a 20 inch barrel (NEF
    1 12 Ga "duck gun' with a 28 in barrel

She is 35, and she runs a farm with her uncle. she is fairily strong, but she hasn't shot anything other than a 10-22 and a 223. so some "range time" is in order for gun safety and such things as actually hitting the target.

I was thinking of the 410 for the first hunt, but last time I shot it, it kicked more than my 20 ga (20 Ga is almost 1 1/2 Lbs heavier)

What do you guys think? I thing the shotgun would be good till she gets goot at holding steady, but who knows.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Yep! I agree. The 20 gauge single shot hammer gun would be both safer, more effective, and doesn't kick much. low brass 2 3/4"
    7 1/2's or 8's would be good. Has she got her hunter education card??

If not check at Grouse Ridge Shotting Grounds they are having hunter ed. classes there frequently.

Well, I will respectful disagree with the single shot hammer gun; they kick like angry mules and the hammer is slow and in some hands dangerous to operate. I'd take her to Grouse Ridge and let her try a few guns while also learning to shoot flying. LIkely she will be better off with a autoloader in 20 gauge, a soft shooting gun that can be loaded one shell at a time if need be.Whatever the gun, it must fit her well enough to make shooting it comfortable and fun, and a gun she can hit targets reliably with. If she gets serious about this bird hunting stuff having a game gun that comes up to the cheek and next the shoulder, and lines up nicely under the dominant eye (something you and she must first determine) will make all the difference in her success and enjoyment of this thing we call bird hunting.Best of luck to both of you! Let us know how it turns out.Jim

I'd also add that a open choke in that shotgun would be most beneficial!jim

Jim is giving better advice than my suggestion from your choice of arms. Grouse ridge probably has the shotgun he suggests. When I was there last Saturday, GR was renting shotguns for $10/day and they have low base target loads you may purchase there, reasonably priced. Once your friend "learns" to shoot with a better fitting shotgun that dosen't kick so hard (the auto loader will be softer shooting), she could adapt to a harder kicking single shot. The idea is to startout right so your friend may enjoy the experience. Starting out with a hard kicker is more likely to help her decide shooting is not her cup of tea.

I meerly suggested from the list of your choices, but honestly a little more thought, like renting the 20 gauge auto loader Jim suggests is much better. Your shells, a $10 rental, and $8 for clays and you are in business. Glenn Hodge there at GR would be glad to help, and I could too.