Thread: msaerls

Default msaerls

Matt, I would like to reply to your previous post concerning the signs on the steese hwy. I am one of the names on those signs. First I would like to say that I dislike computers and am not a big poster, but I feel you deserve an answer. My father-in-law trapped alot of this area in the fifties and sixties. My partner's grandfather trapped this area in the early seventies and we have been trapping it for thirty years. We have cut alot of trail as well as used alot that was traditionally cut by our family. Do we trap it all at once? No. As many trappers do, we let trails rest to build back fur. Do we really trap from thirty mile to ninety mile? There are seven families that trap that area and without being redundant we only put our names on the signs. They all agreed to the signs and if you would like their names and phone numbers please pm me and I will provide them to you. You are welcome to call them. As this is becoming a high use area and we trap the river for wolves we felt the signs let other users be aware of what was good to ski with a dog and what was not. Over the years we have felt the signs were informative and if someone like yourself had a question or problem we have our phone numbers on them and you could have called us personally. We are not interested in taking anybody out trapping or teaching anybody to trap that we don't ask first. We are just like any other trapper nowdays, trying to hold on to what we have and catch fur. I imagine this post will go south as the last one as well but now you know the rest of the story.

Class act! Thanks for posting and may your traps hold lots of fur in the future.

Appreciate the post fnspotter. Glad you cleared things up with a little communication.
    Good luck trapping.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by fnspotter View Post
    Matt, I would like to reply to your previous post concerning the signs on the steese hwy. I am one of the names on those signs. First I would like to say that I dislike computers and am not a big poster, but I feel you deserve an answer. My father-in-law trapped alot of this area in the fifties and sixties. My partner's grandfather trapped this area in the early seventies and we have been trapping it for thirty years. We have cut alot of trail as well as used alot that was traditionally cut by our family. Do we trap it all at once? No. As many trappers do, we let trails rest to build back fur. Do we really trap from thirty mile to ninety mile? There are seven families that trap that area and without being redundant we only put our names on the signs. They all agreed to the signs and if you would like their names and phone numbers please pm me and I will provide them to you. You are welcome to call them. As this is becoming a high use area and we trap the river for wolves we felt the signs let other users be aware of what was good to ski with a dog and what was not. Over the years we have felt the signs were informative and if someone like yourself had a question or problem we have our phone numbers on them and you could have called us personally. We are not interested in taking anybody out trapping or teaching anybody to trap that we don't ask first. We are just like any other trapper nowdays, trying to hold on to what we have and catch fur. I imagine this post will go south as the last one as well but now you know the rest of the story.
    You have my support as well. Some people just don't get it, and think they are entitled others hard work

Spotter, I think your locking 60 miles of road is very selfish and shortsighted. This guy sounds new to trapping. If you are locking up that much land I'm sure you could let him trap 5 or 10 miles of one your trails. If you were really such a a stand up guy you would realize that none of us are going to be trapping if we don't get new people into the sport. It would really suck if those trails you cut became ski trails only. Which will happen if they are not people to vote for our sport. Our goal should be to encourage people to trap. Not to shut people out. Especially in such an easily accessible area.

Quote Originally Posted by BearMan View Post
    Spotter, I think your locking 60 miles of road is very selfish and shortsighted. This guy sounds new to trapping. If you are locking up that much land I'm sure you could let him trap 5 or 10 miles of one your trails. If you were really such a a stand up guy you would realize that none of us are going to be trapping if we don't get new people into the sport. It would really suck if those trails you cut became ski trails only. Which will happen if they are not people to vote for our sport. Our goal should be to encourage people to trap. Not to shut people out. Especially in such an easily accessible area.
    BearMan
    I'm going to guess that you don't trap or haven't trapped very long. At the very least haven't put much time into establishing a line of your own. If so you would know of the work thats needed. So give this guy five miles, then what about the next guy, then the next guy after that, See the picture yet. If you would like to give away hard earned money feel free to sent me a check. Or maybe you should give this guy five miles of your line. Spotter right on, you got there first (Family did anyway) I wish you much luck holding on to it. With this day of age of obama mania and spreading the wealth, you may find it harded to hold on to then it was to establish and keep up. And another thing BearMan trapping is not a sport it's a way of life at the very least it's a hobby And no I don't know and haven't ever met spotter, But I will defent the right I feel he has to keep his line the way it is. Sure seems like more and more people want something for nothing.

I am a trapper.

An old trapper did let me use part of his line to get into the sport otherwise I wouldn't be trapping in alaska. And yes I know how hard it is to maintain a line.

Doesn't sound like this perosn was asking to get something for nothing. It's sounds like he wanted to be able to cut his own line in, or maybe just trap off the road. Surely in 60 miles there is room for a new trapper. I do think if they have that much line it's worth giving up a little to get a new trapper into the sport. Just like someone did for me. I realize this isn't a popular attitude among trappers but I truly believe trapping is going to be a thing of the past in the not so distant future if we don't get more people into the sport.
    Just my opinion, you don't have to like it.

So why don't you hook the guy up with some of your line. You can return the faver that way. And it's not a sport. Baseball, Football, those are sports. When you trap to make a living (Even if it's only part of your income)it's a way of life. If your doing it for the fun of getting out it's a hobby. And like I guessed it, you didn't put in time establishing your own line, it was given to you. I tell you what, go cut 20 miles of line in the off season then give it to someone you don't know to get started. We'll see just how satisfying that is for you. Also I don't think trapping is going anywhere soon. Hell we all may be fighting for a line just to keep a warm coat on our back the way this country is heading.

#1 trapping is a sport. Very very few people can live off trapping I'd be impressed if you can show me person who does. They might say they do but they definately have other means of living.

#2 I did put the time into estabishing my own line but during that endeavor I ran into another trail thus the meeting of the old trapper. You cut a 20 mile trail within 100 miles of fairbanks your going to run into another trail trust me.

#3 We have had several anti trapping props that have just barely failed. We need every vote we can get. Your a fool if you think otherwise.

#4 Are you a trapper? Because I truly think a trapper would think ahead.

if it's public ground, vast sections especially then others have as much right to trap it, as long as they arn't setting on top then thats just life. Now if I could ask what is the heading of the original post is the spelling has me a bit confused
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Bearman - if you re-read his post spotter isn't locking up 60 miles for himself there are 7 families that are all trapping there and he does bring new people on but only people he knows.

ironartist - it is the posters username that posted the original thread on the land in question

I think the biggest worry for trappers these days are skiers and snowmachiners taking over the trails you have cut, not other trappers.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    I think the biggest worry for trappers these days are skiers and snowmachiners taking over the trails you have cut, not other trappers.
    100% agreed on that one.

And you can add dog mushers, ski jorer's, new subdivisions, borough & state land sales, native corporation lands etc...... We are all getting crunched, we need to get along and get unified. The more trappers the better.

We all wish we had our own little area to trap, our own private moose valley, private sheep glacier. That fact is it doesn't happen anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BearMan View Post

#4 Are you a trapper? Because I truly think a trapper would think ahead.
    Why yes I am. Not every year and not all the time but it does help pay the bills.I never implyed that it made up a whole of an income. And no a trapper would respect another trappers line and stay off. As for the antis, with so called trappers like you out there I might just side with them. In the end I will still be trapping and you won't. If you really think we need new people trapping (we really don't) then get out there and cut some new lines and get them started but don't belittle someone for not giving up some of theirs. Please take your Obama mentality some place else. We disagree on this issue and nothing you can say will change that. Thats all I'm going to say about this, so don't waste you time replying.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Why yes I am. Not every year and not all the time but it does help pay the bills.I never implyed that it made up a whole of an income. And no a trapper would respect another trappers line and stay off. As for the antis, with so called trappers like you out there I might just side with them. In the end I will still be trapping and you won't. If you really think we need new people trapping (we really don't) then get out there and cut some new lines and get them started but don't belittle someone for not giving up some of theirs. Please take your Obama mentality some place else. We disagree on this issue and nothing you can say will change that. Thats all I'm going to say about this, so don't waste you time replying.
    I don't recall ever saying we should not respect each others lines. Whoever said I was an Obama supporter, where did that come from? You don't want new trappers in our sport, really?(you must not have kids) When did I belittle anyone?

Maybe you should drive up here and take a look at the area in debate. Maybe you would understand that this is a state maintained highway close to town. Perfect place for young people and new trappers who can't afford a snowmachine or plane to go and try their hand at trapping.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    As for the antis, with so called trappers like you out there I might just side with them. In the end I will still be trapping and you won't.
    Wow. Without thinking ahead maybe you will but your grandchildren won't!

A lot of poeple are responding to this that may not have read the original thread I am not and never did ask to run anyones line as i said in the original closed thread im am not a trapper and do not have the time to try to learn right now (but maybe someday) i just thought that is a lot of public land being claimed. I respect the work yall and your kin put in and even if i did trap i wouldn't set on top of anyone but it seems to me if everyone who trapped just claimed 10 miles of road accesable land there would be no room for anyone new to trap therefor no need to learn to trap. i persanally see this as no different then if i went out and said i hunt the next 10 miles please dont hunt here. Im pretty sure the responces on here wouls be different.

matt