Thread: Broke guide. How do I fix this?

Default Broke guide. How do I fix this?

Broke a guide and need to fix it. Anyone got any suggestions?

I don't know anything about rod building/repair, but don't want to send the rod to the maker in Pennsylvania.

Six weeks till Palooza so I figured it is time to get it fixed.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Looks like a re-wrap and seal to me...

Dan,
    where are you located? I saw NC in your profile but if you up here the guys at three rivers are top notch at stuff like that

Get a sharp rigid razor-knife blade, make sure you haven't had any coffee for awhile, and take a deep breath.

Gently score the finish long-ways, tip to butt (from where the guide emerged from the wraps to the end of the wraps) - DO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE THREAD...This will keep you from nicking the blank and killing any hope of future warranty work. When you get the finish scored enough, you should be able to insert the corner of the blade into the "bubble" created by the missing guide foot. Gently break away the finish, and it should peel away from the thread rather easily. When you get the bulk of the finish off, you will notice a slight ridge of finish at the butt-end of the wraps, as well as a small bit on the tip-end, opposite side of the guide...leave it there, it makes a good reference-point for your starting and finishing points. Gently cut a few strands of the thread at the point of entry for the guide foot (they will be elevated off the blank at this point) and unwrap the thread.

Get ahold of some "A" thread of a matching color...if you can't find A, 6/0 will work, but it is a little thin and tends to need more than 2 coats of finish to make it look right.

Using a thin (1/8" or less) strip of masking tape around the ring-end of the guide foot, locate the guide roughly where you want it...no need to be exact, you can wiggle it around up until you put finish on it.

To make a cheap wrapping stand and thread tension device for a quick fix, cut V-notches in either end of a small, open-top cardboard box. Run your thread through the pages of a book and place the book in the bottom of the box, then put the rod in the v-notches with the guide over the position of the thread...with me so far?

Good.

Start your wrap like you would start the thread on a fly, overwrapping the end at the position of the posterior finish "lump", near the foot of the guide. Go about 5-6 wraps for a locked end and trim the excess. rolling the rod in your fingers, wrap the thread up and over the foot, occasionally stopping to "seat" the wraps with a toothpick by compacting the end. When you get to the tape, peel it off and keep wrapping. About 6-8 turns from the end, insert a loop of flat UNWAXED dental floss next to the guide foot, loop to the tip side (ring of guide side). Wrap 6-8 turns to the end and clip the thread with a long tag end, maintaining tension on the wraps at all times. Pass the tag end of the thread thru the dental floss loop and pull the loop back through the wraps - this seats the thread in a "nail knot" fashion. Trim the tag close to the wraps with a razor blade, then seat the wraps with a toothpick...you could buy a burnishing tool, but a blunt, smooth toothpick works for down-n-dirty fixes.

Get ahold of some flex-coat finish, make sure your guide is correctly aligned, then CAREFULLY apply a thin coat of finish to the thread ONLY. Work it into the thread gently (again, with a toothpick), being mindful to not create any bubbles...if you get a bubble, blow on it gently, it will pop. Once the thread is covered, turn the rod 1/4 turn every 20-30 seconds to prevent lumping until the finish sets. When the finish has set, put on another coat, this time going to the aforementioned "lumps" of factory finish you left...be very delicate, use a small amount of finish, and the "lumps" will melt and reseal with the new finish. Turn the rod 1/4 turn every 20-30 seconds as before, and whn the finish sets, leave it alone for 24 hours.

After that, should be good as new.

If it were me in the middle of some good fishing, I would use a little 5 minute epoxy and get back to fishin'. Then, send it in for a professional repair after the seasons over.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    Get a sharp rigid razor-knife blade, make sure you haven't had any coffee for awhile, and take a deep breath.

Gently score the finish long-ways, tip to butt (from where the guide emerged from the wraps to the end of the wraps) - DO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE THREAD...This will keep you from nicking the blank and killing any hope of future warranty work.
    IMO I like to use a candle to heat the epoxy and use a plastic knife to scrap off the epoxy until the thread is revealed. Then with a bodkin pick out thread and unwrap. This will eliminate nicks.

Dan,
    use this as a good excuse to go buy a new rod, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Dan,
    use this as a good excuse to go buy a new rod, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It was new last fall or this spring. He's just a brute with his gear.
    He's going to take it to a builder in Wilmington, NC up by his folks place later this week for repairs.

oh ouch! Well I guess so, look at all the fish he poses with! Those fish are toads!

Thanks for the input guys.

Griffin, I am back home in NC now, but thanks for the suggestion.

G-smolt, you cease to amaze me man. Always appreciate your input.

Kenaibowfan, it is a brand new rod. The wife is cool, but not that cool

Dave, thanks for the link earlier. Will drop the rod off Friday on our way to the coast. After reading G-smolts post, tempted to pick up a 12 pack and make a go of it myself. Doing lots of saltwater kayak fishing lately. Can't wait to see some of you guys around a campfire in Sept. It is over 100 every day down here. Looking forward to some cooler weather.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan,
    Yeah I hear you about the wife...........mine is making me wait for a new tiller arm for the motor.............I didn't think asking for a new tiller arm was asking too much after getting the new boat, she thinks otherwise! LOL