Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing a 22 magnum handgun

Default Help choosing a 22 magnum handgun

I'm trying to find a 22 magnum pistol to supplement my rifle that's avail. new. I've seen some new chrony results from 22 magnum pistols that proves they get much more velocity than people claim. The North American Arms pocket pistols are out of the question (too small). The only other option was a classic Smith and Wesson with a 6" barrel, a Smith Wesson shorty and the prices are too much for a darned rimfire pistol.

I noticed Taurus makes a 9 shot single/double action 22 magnum revolver with a 4" barrel which is pretty enticing and a good price. I have no experience with this pistol but a 9 shot double action rimfire revolver for around $400 is a definite possiblity. It's kind of heavy for a rimfire though at 38 oz. That's almost as heavy as my old full stainless Sig Saur 45. They do have a compact single action/double action compact the is an eight shot with a more appropriate weight of 18.5 oz. with adjustable sights. That might be a possibility too.

The other option is that new Kel-Tec pistol that has an equally acceptable price tag around $400 msrp and holds some 30 rounds in magazine. I'm really veering towards the Taurus revolver but a 30 round 22 magnum pistol is somewhat interesting as this pistol won't be for hunting but stay in a vehicle or a night stand most of the time.

Here's the three I'm interested in but can't decide:

http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec-PMR30-2.htm

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=625&category=Revolver&toggle=&bread crumbseries=

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

I have two S&W M-17 both have 8 3/8" barrels, they are "Target Master" rimfires. I had one reamed out to .22 Magnum. I just put 14 rounds through it at 55 measured yards. 7 of the 14 were in a group 1 1/8" twelve of the 14 were in a group about 2 3/8" and even with two flyer's all 14 were 4 3/8" remember this was 55 yards, seated leaning over a pile of lumber, using the factory target sights. This is all the firearm, as I am a poor pistol shot. I built this as My idea of a "Survival" (Meat procurement) Firearm. It has exceeded my expectations.

The other S&W model 17 is on consignment over at Wild West Guns. It is still a .22 LR rimfire. You might take a look at it. I think it is $699.00 (If I had it to do over, I would have only reamed out three or four chambers, and marked them with fingernail polish).I have shot about 350 .22 LR rounds in the .22 Mag. chambers with no problem, but they are not as accurate as the magnum.

If your interested, I'll talk to Ken @ WWG and maybe we can find some wiggle room. If not, a good accurate .22 Magnum handgun is a wonderful & versatile tool.

Mainer- I've been unable to locate one of the Kel-Tecs to try out but it sounds interesting. A few years back AMT made a nifty little single action .22mag automatic. I was so enamored with the concept I bought three over a couple of years trying to find a functional sample.

No dice- all were total jam-a-matics. The force of the slide retracting would frequently tear the rims off the cases and stick under the extractor. Not saying the Kel-tec would exhibit such behavior but it might be prudent to wait until its in wider circulation before plunking down cash. I believe the AMT has been resurected by High Standard but I'd still avoid one like the clap BTW. I also believe Excel made a .22mag autoloader but I've never seen one outside of print.

I had a real nice S&W 4" kit gun (M63?) in .22 Mag. (similar to the Taurus offering). I sold it in an absolute fit of stupidity to a real good friend and he won't sell it back. Beautiful gun and very accurate. I think used prices are high on those today. I haven't seen one in a while but they are a real gem. S&W makes a version of it today but wow...what $$$.

I genuinely like the Ruger Single Six with the conversion cylinder- believe its likely the best value for the dollar of the type-especially considering the .22LR cylinder. The Taurus is OK if you can find used at a more reasonable price.

"When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Let us know if you uncover a rock somewhere and find a PMR-30...

I would either save my nickels for a S&W or go the Single Six route myself. I have seen enough non functioning Taurus revolvers, including rimfires, come across the bench to steer me clear of them for the forseeable future. And as already stated the AMT mini Automags were a hunk of crap. And strictly as my opinion after having examined a couple of them, I don't think I'd give 2 counterfeit pesos for one of the new KelTecs. I'm almost certain that my tape cap blasting six-guns of my childhood were of at least equal quality. The PMR may indeed work, I don't know not having shot one, but I was not impressed by handling some samples. The grip resembles a deck of cards and the slide feels like someone taped a chunk of broom handle on top of that deck of cards, how's that for ergonomics? I'm pretty sure that the enormous fiber optic sights will cover up an entire flock of grouse at anything much over 10 paces, and I don't remember them being adjustable, so there's no sighting it in. Although I have learned to like or atleast tolerate some plastic pistols, I think they may have taken it a bit far with the PMR with most of the little flippers for safety and such as well as the sights being made of plastic, the frame is one thing but the sights and small parts are more apt to be knocked of out on the trail. Anyway choose what you like but that's my take on the 22 mag handgun situation for what it's worth.

From the Kel Tec website:

"Slide and barrel are 4140 steel, frame is 7075 aluminum. Grip, slide cover, trigger, mag release, and safety levers are glass reinforced Nylon (Zytel), much like other Kel-Tec Pistols. Magazine is Also Zytel and holds 30 rounds, with round count ports. Other features include: dual opposing extractors for reliability, heel magazine release to aid in magazine retention, dovetailed aluminum front sight, Picatinny accessory rail under the barrel, Urethane recoil buffer, captive coaxial recoil springs. PMR30 disassembles for cleaning by removal of a single pin."

Yes, that's a lot of "Zytel" (glass reinforced plastic). I did notice where you can't adjust the sights (cheap). I think I've ruled out the Kel Tec from my list.

I have the 8 shot Taurus in SS and it is an OK gun. DA trigger pull is very heavy but SA isn't too bad. Accuracy is about 2"+ at 25 yds.

For the money the Ruger single six with both cylinders is a lot of gun and it is 2 calibers instead of just one.

I had one of the Taurus in stainless and it was a sound little pistol. Today I use use a old Ruger single six. I was built before the two cylinder pistols so it has the tighter bore.I then bought a mag cylinder and it shoots great.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hope yah don't mind but I copied yah style tailwind.

I picked up the same pistol you have. For only $300 new it'll be worth a chance. I can return it paid shipping if it needs work with my receipt. I did like you did and handled four identical pistols and picked the one with the smoothest bore, cylinder, and trigger. Initial impressions:
    Light but not too light (27.5 oz)
    Good sights
    Good balance and nice grip that fits the pistol
    A good "trail gun" sized 22mag that fills a niche that Smith and Wesson doesn't offer with the four inch barrel.
    Very tight cylinder with little gap between cylinder and cone
    Bluing is very nice for price
    An 8 shot double action makes for a good defense pistol and the single action trigger pull has zero creep with a pull of 2lbs. 10oz.

hope is shoots good....................

Once you get it sighted in put a little clear nail polish on the rear sight screws and your good to go. The one I had the rear blade went AWOL but I just resighted useing the big U of the sight body and it even lined up quicker and shot just as well.The friend I gave it to still shoots it that way.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You guys do know there's a difference between the twist in LR and .22Mag guns, don't you?
    Steve

If you do your part that pistol is gonna work just great. congrats on the new pistol. look forward to a shoot report
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    You guys do know there's a difference between the twist in LR and .22Mag guns, don't you?
    Steve
    I can't say that I do.

I dunno why there would be a difference, considering they both shoot bullets of the same length, a different twist shouldn't be needed.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Considering how many dual cylinder handguns are out there I figure if it works for the factory it works for me

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Steve
    So instead of asking the question to boast your superiority, how 'bout doing some educating....

"You guys do know there's a difference between the twist in LR and .22Mag guns, don't you?"

I wasn't aware of that and apparently neither is Taurus....
    Model: 991SS6 Finish: Matte Stainless Steel Status: Available
    Caliber: .22 MAG Grips: Ribber UPC: 7-25327-60580-5
    Capacity: 9 Weight: 44 oz Rate of Twist: 1:16.5"
    Barrel Length: 6-1/2" Action: DA/SA Length: 10-3/4"
    Grooves: 6 Trigger Type: Smooth Order #: 2-991069
    MSRP: $489.00 Grooves Turn: Right

Model: 990SS6 Finish: Matte Stainless Steel Status: Available
    Caliber: .22 LR Grips: Ribber UPC: 7-25327-60576-8
    Capacity: 9 Weight: 44 oz Rate of Twist: 1:16.5"
    Barrel Length: 6-1/2" Frame: Large Action: DA/SA
    Length: 10-3/4" Grooves: 6 Trigger Type: Smooth
    Order #: 2-990069 MSRP: $489.00 Grooves Turn: Right

Pretty standard for all 22cal.light bullets.

Ruger uses 1/14 for the mag and 22.250 and 1/16 22lr in rifles.In pistols Ruger uses 1/14 in its convertable revolver.

thanks for posting those specs hodge, it appears they run a bit faster twist for their shorter barreled one like mine. I bought the controlled expasion 50 grain hollowpoint Federal game load for defense purposes in the home or vehicle. They should do well with the faster twist and I'll post accuracy tests in a couple weeks. Here's the specs:

Model: 941B4 Finish: Blue Status: Available
    Caliber: .22 MAG Grips: Rubber UPC: 7-25327-20143-4
    Capacity: 8 Weight: 27 oz Rate of Twist: 1:15"
    Barrel Length: 4" Construction: Steel Height: 4.98"
    Frame: Small Width: 1.346" Action: DA/SA
    Front Sight: Fixed Length: 8-3/4" Grooves: 6
    Safety: Transfer Bar Trigger Type: Smooth Order #: 2-941041
    MSRP: $430.00 Rear Sight: Adjustable Grooves Turn: Right
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast