Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Excuses

Default Sheep Excuses

Today was the first time in a while that I had the chance to really sit down and realize that the sheep opener is about 2 weeks away. We all have our distractions, but today I decided to go, ready or not and I'm going to do my best everyday from now until the 10th to do something to get prepared. Going to do my best to not be the weak link in my team and give my partner my very best effort.

So today I pulled up my socks, strapped on my gear and logged some time in my boots. Gave me a great opportunity away from the electronic world to think about the other things that could use some attention. So I vow to take some time everyday now until I land in the bush to be ready.

So no more excuses about why I don't do this or that because of this or that. I'm ready for some ME time in the mountains and maybe, just maybe I will see a ram.

What did you do today to get ready for the 10th Sheep opener ????
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Stid,
    Great! Go for it!
    You, more than most, truly have emotional strength. And your emotional and mental toughness will enable you to overcome the fact that you may not be in tip-top physical condition. Just go slower than in the past, but steady. Get in as good of shape as possible, and go slow enough that you avoid any actual physical breakdowns.

In my experience as a hunter and as a guide, I have observed that people want to stop hunting when their desire to stop hurting and to get warmer exceeds their desire to be a succussful hunter/killer. So stay "hungry", overlooking common soreness from a fifth or ninth day of climbing.

Keep in mind that the only way to really get in shape for a sheep hunt is to go on a sheep hunt. With work obligations, daily travel time, kids and baseball practice, meals to prepare, required sleep....none of us can workout more than two hours per day. And then on weekends we all have other obligations that bite chunks out of our time that we intended for physical conditioning. Yet while on a sheep hunt we work, climbing up and down hills and mountains for 12 hours a day. Simply impossible to completely train for that, unless you hike and climb for a living!

I'm curious to hear how this years hunt works out for you.

Dennis

Packed and ready.....just don't wanna get shanked by the weather....

Put on a new grill guard.Heading to the highway out of Whitehorse for Stones in a couple weeks.I have had to admit no more mountain hardcore hunts for me except those I read about here. Now days a packer helper is to get me out not the game.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Good on ya there Steve...

To answer your question. Today I messed with my list, will mess with some gear tonight, it's a rest day as far as training goes but I'll be hitting Birch Hill this week if you want to join me for some testosterone time The wifey will probably drag me up to the berry patch in the hills this week one evening.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Sat behind my computer pouting because I will be in a **** swamp all next month on the other side of the **** country

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Kahahawai,
    Looks good. What cartridge are you packing?

Steve,
    Good for your to get out there! You'll do fine and provide a lot of fine reading and photos.
    Sorry to read about your dog. Those losses are hard to take, I know all too well. Maybe, just maybe the lightbulb will go on for your son.

Good to hear Steve!!! The mountains are good for the soul as you know, just being out and in them will make the trip worth it. The chance to chase sheep makes it that much better.

Your in my thoughts and prayers buddy!!! Enjoy your hunt!!

Being a walking mailman in hilly country would help. I tell that to my mailman every year,he laughs [non hunter]
    Did a very steep climb to check a deer stand in my new boots and 50 lb. pack the last 2 hours of light today ,sweated so much from the 88 degrees and humidy I was soaked.
    oct.17 goat hunt.

I put about 100 fine-tuning arrows through my new Z7 Extreme. It is one tack driver!

Hope you're 100 percent soon, Stid.

Taylor

I went for a little walk on my lunch break today.....

......with two sacks of concrete in my pack. Getting the Barneys pack dialed in for heavy loads. I'm optimistic that way

Yk

Spent some time at the bench after everyone went to bed.

Founding Member

Nothin.......

Im might just pop an Ox for the freezer, or dry it up smoked.......maby just more Caribou now that most of our canning jars full of Ducks n such........

Sheep onna snowgo or after Fall Caribou when its frozen, then Sheep .........yep......dryed Sheep aint that awsome, too much fat marbled in for storage
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I'm sure the little bit of training you have gotten in is more than most of the other sheep hunters, As Dennis said the only way is to be there. You know once you see those mountains all will be forgoten, but sheep!! Your gear will be more than fine tuned and knowing that, that HOT hand land is looking for it's home. Have a safe and sucessful trip, we'll be waiting

Hunter

Well, I've been successful in fulfilling my obligation to pack the freezer with enough salmon for the year, so now I can concentrate more weekends on backpacking. I've been getting in 3-4 workouts a week. Not always the great workouts I would like but something is better than nothing. Planning to get in 4-5 workouts per week for the next month, my tag starts Sept. 5th. I feel pretty good up and down the mountain with 40lbs so it's time to start additing a few more pounds and maybe a flatland hike once a week with 65-70 lbs to get the hips in shape. There's a good chance I'll be heading into the mountains solo which means no one to share weight with. I have a good start so there's no reason I shouldn't be in sheep shape by opening day.

Awoke this morning to reminders of how out of shape I really am.

Got in a walk, not far, but further than yesterday.

I think I know what sucks worse than being 40,,, and that is turning 50!!!! Better than the alternative I guess.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Stid,
    Great! Go for it!
    You, more than most, truly have emotional strength. And your emotional and mental toughness will enable you to overcome the fact that you may not be in tip-top physical condition. Just go slower than in the past, but steady. Get in as good of shape as possible, and go slow enough that you avoid any actual physical breakdowns.

In my experience as a hunter and as a guide, I have observed that people want to stop hunting when their desire to stop hurting and to get warmer exceeds their desire to be a succussful hunter/killer. So stay "hungry", overlooking common soreness from a fifth or ninth day of climbing.

Keep in mind that the only way to really get in shape for a sheep hunt is to go on a sheep hunt. With work obligations, daily travel time, kids and baseball practice, meals to prepare, required sleep....none of us can workout more than two hours per day. And then on weekends we all have other obligations that bite chunks out of our time that we intended for physical conditioning. Yet while on a sheep hunt we work, climbing up and down hills and mountains for 12 hours a day. Simply impossible to completely train for that, unless you hike and climb for a living!

I'm curious to hear how this years hunt works out for you.

Dennis
    Well said Dennis! Once I get into the mountains, there is no pain or agony that is going to stop me and Rich!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Sold another piece of my life in order to be able to do what I really want.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I haven't been training the way I had envisioned this past winter. I've been too busy with work, fishing, and other responsibilities to do any regular training. I have got out a few times with the pack and some weight and done some hikes. Lots of fishing and walking though.

I've also spent a bit of time making sure my rifle is ready to go. I have my dads 1977 ruger M77 7mm mag ready to go with some 160 grain nosler accubonds. I've been making lists and checking and re-checking as well as testing gear on camping trips to make sure it's up to snuff.

Two more weeks!

Well reading this does make me feel a bit better. Funny how it seems that if life were any more hectic it would be impossible to fit in any living!! I currently am working full time from home while watching the kids (3 boys) and simultaneously overseeing the construction of my new shop as well as some plumbing repairs, new siding, windows, paint and enclosed eaves on the house.

With a new roof last year and new heat the year before that we have just about redone everything on this place. Then again I heard the wife mention something about kitchen cabinets the other day so perhaps I am wrong...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast