Thread: 10 mm, For woods carry

Default 10 mm, For woods carry

I realize that a 10mm is tttom of the list for bear protection but I am considering this as my berry picking, fishing side arm. Fusion High Capacity long slide 10mm

I think it's fine for me in the Eastern Lower 48, but not for you! If I lived anywhere where bears came in "Brown" I'd stick to a 4" Redhawk in .44 magnum. Here in East Tennesse, bears come in any color you want, as long as it is "Black"! ;-)

I carry my glock 20 long slide with me all the time, only hand gun that goes with me in the woods. Yes I also hunt black bears only with this weapon on my body! If it kills a black bear easily I am sure it will do the same to a brown version. With premium heavy hardcast loads it has proven to be effective for me. If you get it and don't feel like you trust it, then don't carry it. I on the other hand trust it, carry, only shot 1 bear with it so far, soon to be more I hope and will take with me caribou in the north for brown bears, yes I will have a rifle, but if given the chance I will pop it with the 10mm for sure. All I know is, it is with me 100% of the time, easy to shoot, and has never failed me.

I often pack an EAA Match 10mm but I'd not take it anyplace I felt I'd be likely to see Coastal Browns . . . up in the wide open I feel itís fine but not so much down in the alders or where the fish are running.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    If it kills a black bear easily I am sure it will do the same to a brown version.
    I admire your confidence, but not your reasoning. Just because I can get in the ring and knockout a middle weight doesn't mean I'll have the same results against a heavy weight.

I'd take a 10mm over bear spray.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

My G20 or G20SF go with me all of the time that I am out in the woods. While they may not be the 'best' choice, these weapons are handy to carry. Being that they both use the same mag's, I have one loaded with Buffalo Bore 200 grain slugs.
    Beside bears are not the 'only' issues one might encounted in the back country.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    I'd take a 10mm over bear spray.
    Rodger that . . . let them bring their own salt shaker too!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

i carry a glock 20 also. it makes me feel comfortable knowing its there. gotta agree too that i carry more for other problems then the bears. people, stray dogs, angry moose, distress signalling, are the reasons i carry in the woods.

Another 10mm thread...
    Read through some of the recent posts on this topic and you will get tons of info, some of it will even be of value! Carry what you are comfortable with and hope it's enough to do the job when something happens. Every situation is different, just be able to hit what you aim at while you are shaking your boots!
    I carry a Glock 20 with Double Tap 200gr WFNGC rounds a Lone Wolff barrel and 24# spring on a stainless rod, Trijicon night sites and extended controls and a trigger job. There, there is my everyday carry for city and for woods. Oh, it' usually rides in a Serpa holster around town or A Diamond Dave chest rig when in the woods.

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by 8mmRem View Post
    I realize that a 10mm is tttom of the list for bear protection but I am considering this as my berry picking, fishing side arm. Fusion High Capacity long slide 10mm
    And for what its worth, I was not happy with my fusion gun. The thing was super finicky. It would only shoot cci blazers with any kind of reliability. I sent the gun back twice to fusion. Each time they would fiddle with it (so they said), shoot 5 rounds of cci blazer through it (they sent me the empties to prove they shot it I guess) then would charge me 200 dollars for the work. Happiest day of my gun owning carreer when I got rid of that nightmare.

While all this was going on I bought my G20, my G20 shoots just as accurate as that 1911, Definatley more reliable, Holds more ammo, more weather resistant. All for 1/3 the price of what I had into that stupid fusion pistol.

I work in Aniak and a few weeks ago a fellow here shot a big black bear that had climbed in his boat with a 10mm. From his wife's account he was walking down the riverbank and looked up about 25' from the boat to see the bruin eating his fish and cleaning out his cooler. Apparently the bear decided he wasn't going to leave the 10 guaranteed it. It was a big enough bear that the guy couldn't roll it back further in the boat and had to come back down the river with the prop barely in the water.