Thread: K pumps ?

Default K pumps ?

I currently still have the original cheap standup pump that was included with the raft. I usually use a 12v powered pump to get it started on all highway accessible floats. So my question is do a lot of peopel use the K-pumps to top off, or even inflate their rafts?
    Is it worth the investment for a K 200 or 400?

Well yes and no. I know I know Big Help eh! I like them.

I have a K-100 and it works well for what I bought it for, topping off. I've tried inflating an empty tube with it and it was a pain in the ass. The bigger ones might work better for this. I got it because I keep my Clavey bigfoot in the bottom of my actionpacker and I didnt like to unpack it every time I needed to top off the tubes. The K-100 is smaller than a 4-piece flyrod tube and I can just toss it in the back of the raft or strap it to the frame with the supplied bag and bungees.
    I've only had mine for a year or so, but it seems to be constructed pretty well and I havent had any problems. I do think the price is on the high side for some white abs plastic pipe, a few o-rings, and some plastic fittings.

Or go big and buy a 4" Carlson. Your back and arms will thank you. Santa Claus brought me one for Christmas and it is a huge improvemnt over my cheap Bravo pump.

Little off subject from K pump but good information and I have mentioned it before. I carry at all times in a water proof box a blast pump and a charged ATV battery good for two boats most days if I don't have a vehicle handy. Great option to have for my old Arse.
    Hey Maybe that's why I gained 20 lbs last year dang I am getting lazy. :-) just food for thought total deal comes to about $150.00 and I use my K pump to top off when required.

I got the small one, not sure what size (about 24" closed) I use it to top off my zodiak and I like it. It sure beats the old foot pump that came with it. I also use a 12v pump that i bought from Ak raft and kayak to air it up from the start but for what it cost me I wish I hadnt bought it oh well im lazy so Ill keep using it.

I have a brand new K-40 you can have for $100, retail $160. I use SOTAR urethane rafts and just do not need a top off pump.
    Goo

i use a k100 as a top off pump for my aire traveler, super puma and 15' wave destroyer. it does a great job on these smaller boats and is compact and easy to carry. the best part is that you can pump effectively by your self, without help and they don't use hoses which can get lost and make storage more difficult.

I also have the K-100. I agree it's great for topping off raft. Would like to add they are great if you want to stop and add air you can stand in the water next to the raft and not having to brace the pump against anything saves alot of hassle plus it takes up very little space so you can strap it to the frame for easy access.

I got the Big Foot pump from Clavey (website). Two thumbs up on that beast.

Got the K40 as a backup/top off pump but have not really used it. Can't imagine pumping the raft up with it though. The bigger K pumps should do better, but I would put my money on a Big Foot as a primary pump and get a K40 or perhaps a cheaper 2nd foot pump, bravo, etc.. as a back up pump and let it pull double duty as a top off pump.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    I have a brand new K-40 you can have for $100, retail $160. I use SOTAR urethane rafts and just do not need a top off pump.
    Goo
    explain why you don't need a top off pump. do you carry a full sized pump in case your boat pops? do you do trips with no pump at all?

Well for your information all fabrics are not the same. If you take a 4,000 din polyester base cloth and put 40 oz. urethane over that fabric you have a "static" material that does not stretch. If you triple weld all the seams, you keep air retention. I use a "BIG-FOOT " pump and it makes my rafts as hard as they need to be. It doesn't take much to get 3# of air in a raft that does not stretch or lose air.
    Works for me.
    Goo

Having bought a Sotar from Goo 3 years ago, I can vouch for this. Not that I should have to. Goo knows more about rafting than half the folks on this forum put together. We used our Sotar on a remote float trip, several white water trips in the Smoky Mountains of NC, and two 10-14 day long trips on the Upper Kenai (Fishapalooza) the last two years. I can't recall ever "topping off" my raft. Being new to rafting, I bought the K40 for that purpose. I will always have a back up pump of some sorts. But even I can see that not all rafts are created equal. Taking mine to the New River Gorge in West Virginia for 3 days of white water rafting before we come up for Palooza Sept 5th. Can't wait.

-Dan

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Well for your information all fabrics are not the same. If you take a 4,000 din polyester base cloth and put 40 oz. urethane over that fabric you have a "static" material that does not stretch. If you triple weld all the seams, you keep air retention. I use a "BIG-FOOT " pump and it makes my rafts as hard as they need to be. It doesn't take much to get 3# of air in a raft that does not stretch or lose air.
    Works for me.
    Goo

wasn't trying to raise your hackles goo. thanks for clarifying, you do bring a pump and it is a bigfoot, not a k pump. for me the k-pump is smaller, easier to store with less parts. i've used bigfoots and while the k-pump may not have the volume of the bigfoot, it really does work better for me. if i was a sotar owner, i would still carry a k-pump over a foot pump. i thought that's what this was about.