Thread: Can I get flies/line/weights in Cooper Landing?

Default Can I get flies/line/weights in Cooper Landing?

I am finishing my packing and preparation to arrive in Anchorage next week to fish for salmon on the Russian and Kenai rivers. I am planning on buying my flies (for salmon and trout), leaders, weights, and maybe some spinners or spoons upon arrival in Alaska (the spinners/spoons would be for areas other than the fly-fishing only waters). Should I buy these in Anchorage or would you wait and get them in Cooper Landing? Also, what store would you recommend in the appropriate town? This is my first trip and I am trying not to look like a cheechako! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Chris View Post
    I am finishing my packing and preparation to arrive in Anchorage next week to fish for salmon on the Russian and Kenai rivers. I am planning on buying my flies (for salmon and trout), leaders, weights, and maybe some spinners or spoons upon arrival in Alaska (the spinners/spoons would be for areas other than the fly-fishing only waters). Should I buy these in Anchorage or would you wait and get them in Cooper Landing? Also, what store would you recommend in the appropriate town? This is my first trip and I am trying not to look like a cheechako! Thanks!
    Kenai Cache in cooper landing should have all you need and I bekieve they are a sponsor here.
    If you are in Soldotna then go to Trustworthy. Forget buying in Anchorage or at Sportsmans in Soldotna. The folks at Trustworthy will hook you up with exactly what you need and won't try to sell you things or amounts you don't need.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

don't go to kenai cache since they changed ownership they have gone horribly downhill, lets just say I'd rather buy from Cabelas than them. troutfitters in cooper landing has a shop now though with a half decent selection.

I would buy them in anchorage because you will save a bit of money (no sales tax) and there is a much better selection.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.