Thread: Thinking of going to Chitina end of this week or upcoming weekend, from Fairbanks

Default Thinking of going to Chitina end of this week or upcoming weekend, from Fairbanks

So, I really want to hit Chitina up for dipnetting maybe end of this week or the weekend (7/28 - 8/1 timeframe) but have never been. Any pointers? Anyone in Fairbanks wanna go and partner up somehow? Thanks for the replies.

Well to be honest if it's your first time, and your going alone I'd pay for a charter.
    http://copperrivercharters.net/index2.htm

Couple reasons for this. It'll be a little safer, and they'll show you the basic ropes for fishing. At least that way you know you'll likely come back with fish. It's easy to fish the wrong way and catch nothing on a slow day. I just think it'd really be worth the money to you being the first time. Then the next time around you'll be a pro

Thanks for the info! I have heard it isn't always easy to get a charter and then you have to wait a long time in lines and then pick up times are potential problems. Anyone have some first-hand experience they care to share?

I have used the charter the last 2 times I have went. In my opinion they are great. I have never had any problem getting out with them. They come and check on you every couple of hours. They definitely know where to fish in every hole that they drop people. Have limited out with them both times. I plan on using them next time that I go. I highly recommend them.
    Just take a life vest, some rope and a harness to tie yourself off with. You might not need it but you might.
    Last edited by akdd; 07-26-2011 at 02:26. Reason: adding comment

Hey, thanks for the info. Any others care to chime in?

Default Anyone from Fairbanks headed to Chitina within the next week or so?

Might have a window to go... between Sat 30 July and Tue 2 Aug. Anyone headed down then, from Fairbanks area?

Hey Skrat,I don't know if you already went down to chitina or not but I'll be heading down there next weekend if you want to tag along? This will be my third fourth time down there and second time netting from the rocks. If your still wanting to go down there give me a call and we can work out the details. 907-750-4740Terry