Thread: Has any one ever fished Eklutna River

Default Has any one ever fished Eklutna River

Was down there today and saw a few spawned out kings w some hopes of finding some dollies or trout. There was no bite. I changed up flys mabey 10 times from insect,bead,to flesh patterns and still nothing. I have caught 1 Dollie there before so I know that species are in there. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone has fished down there before. I have fished from under the old bridge above the Glenn and below where it runs into the woods and splits up. And out on the flats for a ways almost to the mouth down that way it is affected by tide, so salmon fishing other than for kings can be quite good down there if u time the tide right. That is most of the experience I have fishing Eklutna River and if anyone has info to share I appreciate it and if u want to go fish it some time that would be cool. I'm always looking for people who like to fish the local stuff. So if ur interested let me know. Oh and my locality would be Chugiak Eagle River area

I am going to get around to try that river sometime. I have never been there before. If I head down, I will let you know.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Isn't most of the land around there owned by the Eklutna tribes? How would you access the river?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Hey theone sounds good man! And yes all of the land surrounding the river is native land up to the bridge on the old road. U can fish it as long as you don't leave the water onto "their" land (cough bs!) I just went and got a permit to be on or walk around the private property today. So u can walk from spot to spot no problem if u don't wana wade down the whole river. As long as I'm on native landall u have to do to fish is step into the water and you're safe! They don't and can't own the water, or the land the water flows on. They might not like it and give u a hard time but if u are in the water they can't do a thing.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...hitinaRegs.pdf

I know this is not the Copper area but on page 2 it has a picture of what the state owns and what is private property.
    I am not sure if it is the same for Eklutna though...
    -Zach
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Eklutna River is not navigable therefore Eklutna inc owns the riverbed.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

What do u mean by not navigable? I can find my was from the Glenn hwy. to the mouth no prob. @ theone ya that's the kind of map I'm looking for of Eklutna. I can't seem to find one tho

Default Sockeyes

I've never fished it and have never found anyone that has. It is my understanding that you can get a permit to access the private property but I'm not sure where. Does anyone have an answer to that question?

Anyway, I took the family to Thunderbird Falls on Monday and from the canyon overlook along the trail I could see a bunch of sockeyes down in the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicsen View Post
    What do u mean by not navigable? I can find my was from the Glenn hwy. to the mouth no prob. @ theone ya that's the kind of map I'm looking for of Eklutna. I can't seem to find one tho
    navigable means you can more or less run a boat on the river............I am sure some one can/will post the exact deffinition on here, but you get the idea. So in that since the native people out there own the land on both sides and the river bed just not the water. Anthing above the old hwy bridge you can more or less do what you want. And yes there is fish in there, some you can keep some you can't.

Navigible is very poorly defined and the subject of many court battles
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

akpm is right..."Navigable Waterway" is a legal quagmire. Had a good friend caught "trespassing" to duck hunt because he was upstream of a fence that he couldn't get under in his canoe. So he stepped out into the flooded creek, crossed under the fence and got busted standing in the creek on the other side. Stiff fine plus points off his license which was light considering the Feds could have seized his stuff. Always a big debate down on the coast because of the tidal fluctuations in the rice fields, again with people duck and gator hunting. You are probably taking a more than 50/50 chnace of getting nailed for trespassing because you are walking in the stream bed, which is probably viewed by the wardens as the private property of the tribe. Might be ok to fish it in a kayak.

I guess according to everyones deff. of navigable no u can't take a boat down it...mabey a canoe or kyak but even doing that would be tough. @ yellowstone I got a permit a couple days ago and it's free. It does not give u permission to fish but just to be on their land. I don't know the exact location but here's their phone number (907)696-2828 @ kenaibow fan what kind of fish do u know of in there. I have seen dollies, sockeye, coho and chinook. I know the only ones u couldn't keep are chinooks which u can't even fish for them here.

A few years back a friend and I took a canoe from the Knick River bridge down to the mouth of the Eklutna and the up the Eklutna to just short of the old gravel pit. Caught our limit of silvers in short order and motored back to the bridge. It's a long ride back up to the bridge in a canoe with a 2hp outboard. I live in Peters Creek just across the street from the Eklutna land. Used to ride my motorcyle to the Eklutna river and under the railroad bridge then mess around in the old gravel pit until they put up all the no trespassing signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicsen View Post
    I guess according to everyones deff. of navigable no u can't take a boat down it...mabey a canoe or kyak but even doing that would be tough. @ yellowstone I got a permit a couple days ago and it's free. It does not give u permission to fish but just to be on their land. I don't know the exact location but here's their phone number (907)696-2828 @ kenaibow fan what kind of fish do u know of in there. I have seen dollies, sockeye, coho and chinook. I know the only ones u couldn't keep are chinooks which u can't even fish for them here.
    I have seen all those in there at times, and also rainbows further up by the falls.........Kings you can't keep in there like you said but that doesn't seem to stop people, more then once I have been walking around there and seen pixxies in them.

Cool I'm goin to hike I to the falls and wade the river all the way to the old bridge today. I'll be out there w my 4/5 wt and 3.6lbs tapered floro leader. Gona try my luck w beads. After reading some other bead threads my bead technique has improved quite a bit! Ya not bein able to fish or keep kings sure don't stop some ppl. I see that more often than not...and the majority of offenders are Eklutna nates! I tell em that's not legal and the say "I don't care were native...were allowed to do this" just case they're nates don't mean they can slaughter the fish. P***es me off so bad! Last year I drove up to the bridge and there was 3 natives dumping out carcases out of their truck bed into the river from the bridge! The whole river was rotten and stinky for like two weeks. Not to mention it was like bear central when u went down to fish! I hate that just cause they think they're native they get a free pass to do what they want and abuse the land and animals it's bs! Dang now I'm all worked up...I'm goin fishin. I'll let u know how it was

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    navigable means you can more or less run a boat on the river............I am sure some one can/will post the exact deffinition on here, but you get the idea. So in that since the native people out there own the land on both sides and the river bed just not the water. Anthing above the old hwy bridge you can more or less do what you want. And yes there is fish in there, some you can keep some you can't.
    As the U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly said, “rivers that are navigable in fact are navigable in law.” If the river is physically navigable, for whatever purpose is in question, it is legally navigable. Brewer-Elliott Oil and Gas Company v. United States, 260 U.S. 77, 43 S.Ct. 60, L.Ed 140 (1922). United States v. Utah, 283 U.S. 64, 75 L.Ed. 844 (1931). Utah v. United States, 403 U.S. 9, 29 L.Ed.2d 279 (1971). State v. Corvallis Sand and Gravel Co., 429 U.S. 363, 50 L.ed 2d 550 (1977).

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/m...f/rrmp_ch4.pdf
    This is the Alaska Public Trust Doctrine, which happens to be a quite handy tool when dealing with people, especially if you can quote it precisely.

That is correct my friend. Thanks for posting it. I was trying to find this doctrine a while back ago and could not find it. I wonder why the people of Eklutna still try and tell people to get off the river...
    -Henry David Thoreau

Theone2
    One of the reasons they don't want you on that river is because they don't want you watching them fish. If no one is watching, they can fish any way they want for any type fish they want (snagging kings) with impunity. Before all the no trespassing signs went up, I used to watch them fish there. I'm not sure the Eklutna River would be considered navigable above the tidal movement area of the river. It gets very shallow and braids through a bunch of willow brush in and above the old gravel pit area. I'm not sure it's possible to walk it let alone get any type of watercraft through it. I have never fished it for anything but silvers and doubt if it is worth the effort except for silvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Isn't most of the land around there owned by the Eklutna tribes? How would you access the river?
    Haha! I take my .40
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~