Thread: Could this Duck be a Hybrid?????

Default Could this Duck be a Hybrid?????

[IMG][/IMG]

I have been trying to take pictures of Birds then Identifying them with two bird books, the National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of Western North America and the Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America. My Mom called one day in June to tell me there was a Duck with ducklings near her home, so I went and hid to get these pictures! At first while taking pictures..first thought was a Mallard, but they are not. I then thought maybe a Green-wing Teal and was wondering what you all thought about this Duck with ducklings! I sent it to a friend and they were not sure what it was....the other bird person said it might be a Hybrid and wondered what happened to them!!!! Interesting!!!! So I am have been keeping an eye out to see if they were still around the area!
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    Phil 4:13

Hmmmm.... I sent it to the Green Mountain Digital located in the Audubon site and it it came back recently solved and closed requests....the subject New Species Photo! Wow....do I get to name it????? I also posted it on the Audubon facebook!

Got a reply from The National Audubon Society. The National Audubon Society wrote:"Hi Rhoda, this is a female Blue-winged Teal with her young. The long dark beak, the stripe through the eye with white above, and finally the blue patch barely visible on the wing are all good things to look for. You can find more information on them here: http://www.facebook.com/l/EAQDwm8-t/www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/blue-winged_teal/id"
    Interesting! Since the two bird books list them as not being common in these parts of Alaska! Birders are confusing...smile!

Anyone noticed that the bird I have has black legs????? I have been comparing with Blue-winged Teals in the 2 Bird books and on the Web. According to the book I have the Blue-winged Teal has yellowish legs. And I did point that out to the Audubon Society, and no answer from them yet. I did give in to the Blue-winged Teal but the color of the legs throws it off! Still finds this interesting

Interesting thread - thanks for posting.

This post tells me one thing. The Audubon Society should not be identifying ducks.
    It is more than likely not a hybrid since they typically are not able to reproduce since their reproductive parts will not fit or function.

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/resear...teal/index.php
    The above link takes you to the Duck ID section of Delta Waterfowl.

http://www.flyways.us/duck-identification-resources
    This link is from the USGS flyway managment program and uses the Ducks at a Distance paintings in the various sections.

It is not a blue winged teal. Telling which spieces a hen is during the summer is hard, but a blue wing teal hen should have a small white patch, or smear of white, between the eye and the bill. The bill should also be solid black. The hen should also be a lighter color, more tan than brown. And the feet and legs should be yellow.

The blue wing patch is a lite sky blue and is on the front leading edge of the wing. The only color seen in your photos is the speculum - back section of lager feathers. The speculum on the blue wing teal is green not blue and only found on the males.

What this may be is a duck from across the Bering. Something at little off course and not normal for North America. I will have to break out one of the old books at home to check it out.

Thanks to the excellent art in Ducks and Geese of North America by Frank Bellrose I can be pretty certain that this is a green wing teal. The dark bars at and below the eye on the ducklings give them away.

For the hen, the white ring around the eye is also indicative of a green wing teal as is the dark legs and feet. The reason the wing speculum is not green looking in the photos is due to the angle more than likely. Without the sun shine the speculum is just going to be a dark color.

Thank you.... Ak Ray for the information...Gosh! One of my Bird friends..friend thought it would be a hybrid...my first thought it would be a Green-winged Teal. But the white ring around the eyes was throwing me off....it made me wonder, just got to do more studying. I did get a few more photos of a duck that looked alot like the bird with ducklings...but am not sure if it was the same one. I did get coupla shots of the duck with blue and green on its wings. Enjoy the rest of the summer... :)

I am waiting for summer to end and shoot a few of you hybrid friends. If you want a real quiz, shoot a young blue wing teal and ask your friends if it's a cinnamon. Have one on my wall that sparks a few debates.