Thread: Slana River DM334

Default Slana River DM334

I drew a any bull tag for 13C and was wondering if the trail from Mentastna Lake up the slana river was possible on atv's? Also heard its ahnta land and cant go in there,is this true? Any help is much appreciated!!!

The trail is a right of way that passes through some Ahtna land. The Slana River is not passable on ATVs.

Is it just too deep?

Quote Originally Posted by Smofot View Post
    Is it just too deep?
    Yes. Numerous deep, swift crossings.

I'm glad I asked because someone told me I could pick my way across no problem! And I've also heard what you've said,very deep and swift! Is that the only way to Mankomen lake? And do you know if the middle fork of the chistochina is crossable?

ya know - if it was me I would go get some maps, some sat photos and a GPS and go up there and scout, the old fashioned way...

your asking q's about a rather large area. best figure out the land status while you are at it.

I've been doing it the ol fashioned way for sure,it's just hard to run up there and scout while working 6-10's,just thought it was worth asking on here,in the big picture these answers on here don't really matter because I know I'll get my moose just like always,i could try and plan all I want but it will never go like i plan! I just keep hearing how bad the trails are in that area,and I just don't think they'll be that bad....

I have not been to Mankomen Lake since 1971. My parents lived in Slana for many years, in between the old Duffy's and Mentasta Lodge. My Dad used to take his old 1 ton 64 Ford into Mankomen. It was always an adventure. I know of a couple of 4x4 pick ups that rolled in the river, we never did that but we sure used the winch a few times. It used to be good moose country, times have changed and the people out number the moose. Also, Unit 12 is close and long ago the state ran a cow season in Unit 12 for close to 15 years it started right after the regular fall bull season closed. Like others have said, it is AHTNA land, but I believe the trail is a "right of way". During very low water years a crossing might be possible with a 4-wheeler but I would not count on it at all. I grew up hunting 13C and right across from the old Duffy's Lodge is a parking area and a trail head. From there you can go a long way on a 4-wheeler. There are many trails and it may be a better place to leave a vehicle then some place close to Mentasta Village. Any way, there are lots of trails from that trail head and eventually it will lead you to the mountains that hold a few moose, caribou, sheep and grizzly. I last hunted there with my Dad on September 19th, 1998 and took a 50" bull at high noon and I would hunt there instead of Mankomen. The one big stream you cross used to have an old cabin by it, I hope it is still there. You will see other hunters, but it is a beautiful place with many trails. Old Jim Fry gave me maps of his old mining trails in that area that went way into the mountains. I am sure they are full of big alders now. Unit 13C used to be a great hunting area, times have changed and it has went down hill since the 60's. I would hunt the last 10 days of the season. Even if you don't get a moose yo will see some pretty country.

Thanks for the insight! I'm really excited to check it out I was raised in unit 13 and can't wait to see a new part of it! I'd like go scout it but I'll just have to scout as I hunt!