Thread: Planning for my first PWS Deer hunt

Default Planning for my first PWS Deer hunt

If you had to pick 3 islands to hunt, leaving out of Whittier. Which three would have the larger number of deer. Montague is out of my boats range.

I have hunted Whitetail deer in GA for the past several winters. Are black tails similar in behavior? or are they completely different beast?

I have searched this forum and read alot about these deer but any other helpful advise would be great.
    Thanks

The Knight Islands would be the standard answer then. Closer to Monty's southern end has been good. I'd just recommend throwing extra fuel aboard and going the full distance to Montague or just hiring one of the transporters out of Whittier. I think that Kristen from Saltwater Excursions is a licensed transporter/outfitter and has a safe, reliable boat. No, I'm not part of her operation.

FWIW, I've seen deer tracks at the intertidal zone while hunting spring bears in College Fiord, west side, halfway between Coghill Point and Harvard Glacier. Never saw the deer that made them, though.

As to the black tail deer behaviour in relationship to GA whitetails...just get out there and hunt 'em and then let US know. Good luck and stay safe. Winter boating is a bit different.

IceKing02

Thanks for the reply. I don't plan on much success this fall but plan to learn more for next year.

Last summer saw two deer less than 5 miles from Whittier on the north beach. On one of the small islands touching Knight, we also saw lots of track and sign. It's been two low snow year two years in a row (especially this last year) so it should be a good year to get out and try on pretty much any of the islands. Might bump into you out there...
    Montague and Hinchinbrook are obviously the best, but I did hear from a person that operates a water taxi service in Whittier that Naked Island was off the chain this year. He said every party he dropped off or heard of hunting that island got at least one deer. I also hear that island is thick and brushy as all hell and sucks to hike around on.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Don't overlook Esther Island or the Mainland nearby. Always seem to see deer in that area in the summer when I'm gillnetting there. Just saw a doe and fawn in Esther passage last week. Perry Island gets hit fairly hard, but it does have deer.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

They are out there, for sure. I got 4 last year.

i thought esther island looked really nice while i was back in there. Looked pretty steep in most places.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    They are out there, for sure. I got 4 last year.
    No you didn't I told you that was just a dream. It rained ten days straight and you slept the whole time. You can wake up now.