Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of dip netting from the mystery tank

Default Pictures of dip netting from the mystery tank

We all decided to get some boat nets from the Kenai Welding shop. We watched the boaters on Sunday catch next to nothing and waited until Saturday to launch the canoe. We limited out in just a few hours. When I launched, the boat ramp was closed down due to low tide but they still let me launch which was no problem at all. The canoe handled very well and I stood the whole time while operating the motor. There wasn't a single boat wake that made the boat feel unstable. We were the only canoe I saw out there among the boat netters. The copperhead motor worked very well for netting when we manually trimmed the motor until the tip of the prop was touching the surface at idle.

Due to a limited amount of space I was usually the one who managed the salmon for the two dip netters aboard. With two nets in the water it was really fast paced and at times we'd have both nets with doubles which got kind of hectic. A couple turns of the trim knob and we'd rocket back up river for another pass. We burnt 3 gallons of gas to fill our limit. I read an ancient Haida traditional story about how they would always put the remains of the salmon back into the water where they were caught out of respect to the fish's spirit for future good luck and plentiful salmon runs so this year I chose to do that out of respect to the our plentiful salmon.

Dip netting from a canoe was a blast and I can't wait until next season. The atmosphere was filled with exhaustion and excitement as everyone worked hard under the sun to get their salmon. There were so many smiling faces from the hundreds of boats on the water. Later that night was a good time with Familyman (I always drink his beer). We literally drove from Eagle all the way to the Kenai River after having spent about a month out in the bush on the Yukon River and other smaller rivers.

Attached Images Attached Images

here's some more pictures:

one more picture showing that canoes can sling two of the biggest boat nets made:

awesome! Looks like fun was had all around.

Congrats Mainer!!!

Those are 2 fine looking kids you have there!!

very nice.
    what a fun day with the family and fish for the winter.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Great pictures Mainer. Wish I had taken pictures of the James Bay all bloody. I had my three daughters and a friend in the boat. He and I worked the nets while one daughter drove and the other two worked the bonker. Looking to kill some silvers this week in Seward if the weather holds. Glad you made it back safe from up North.

Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing with the rest of us.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Default beer

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Later that night was a good time with Familyman (I always drink his beer).
    I wondered why the past few days the beer around here has been overflowing! ('cause I haven't seen ya lately!)

We did have some good times down there, yes. Even that day that it rained all day.

Here's another pic. This one is of the mystery tank being pulled Northbound by the Mainer-mobile, featuring the Copperhead on the back, dipnets aboard, and his 10 month old puppy in the bed of his truck:

Hello FamilyMan,

I'm finally coming out of a case of the "shts" like I've never had! I drank Straight from the Yukon River, mud puddles off the side of the road, unnamed streams, and other tributaries of the Yukon. It all caught up to me when I ate that cheese and butter that was unrefrigerated for over a month sitting in the bottom of some smelly old cooler water (so it wouldn't go to waste). I know this might be "TMI" but I didn't think it was possible to go to the bathroom 30 times a day for a week. Still have a quesy gut but I'm finally getting better today. I must be 5lbs. lighter though! I may have to come help yah with that beer ole friend!

2 kids? Oh that is funny, someone pointed this out to me!! I'm the woman in the picture, 32 and pregnant but hey at least that leaves Mainer as the old man in the equation, ha! Ha!
    "No being is greater than the next, we are part and parcel, we are equal, and each one of us has a responsibility to the balance of the system". ~Albert Marshall, Mi'kmaq Elder

Default Now you done it....

Quote Originally Posted by Mi'kmaq_in_AK View Post
    2 kids? Oh that is funny, someone pointed this out to me!! I'm the woman in the picture, 32 and pregnant but hey at least that leaves Mainer as the old man in the equation, ha! Ha!
    I'm still laughing..... Lowrider, you need a bigger shovel? No, I guess the one you're usin' is doing a great job....

In one post you managed to both raise the ire (in fun of course ) of a pregnant woman, but also cause Mainer to go shave that all off so he can lose 15 years. The power of the Internet!

If I've learned anything it is to keep my mouth shut at this point....but....the young lady still looks like the old man's daughter...sorry Mainer!!!

Brings back memories of my young wife and I in an 18' Klamath watching her chase fish around on the bottow of the boat. She was pregnant too and not long after that she had to find someone to open the Homer Hospital so she could have our first son. I was working in Fairbanks and flew non-rev to ANC on Alaska and to Homer on SCA just in time to see him born. I still catch it over not being there for the labor part but she did just fine without me!!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    one more picture showing that canoes can sling two of the biggest boat nets made:

Mainer, just how big are those nets? They look wider than your canoe! Look like a great time and very productive. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

Not to bust in here, but those are 4' Mikes Welding hoops and he has just about exactly 4 foot of beam.

Thanks Familyman, couldn't tell how big they were on the ground but look huge in the canoe. 4' must be a handful with a couple big fish in them. You guys know how to bring them in. Nice job

Thanks Familyman, couldn't tell how big they were on the ground but look huge in the canoe. 4' must be a handful with a couple big fish in them. You guys know how to bring them in. Nice job

Markopolo,

The center of the boat measures 54 inches wide (4.5ft) inside depth. Measuring over the top of the gunwales would be a little wider but in my opinion doesn't count. When I stored the nets I had them towards the rear of the canoe which kind of narrows down to about 4ft and eventually narrows to 3.5 ft. at the stern.

[I drank Straight from the Yukon River, mud puddles off the side of the road, unnamed streams, and other tributaries of the Yukon. It all caught up to me when I ate that cheese and butter that was unrefrigerated for over a month sitting in the bottom of some smelly old cooler water (so it wouldn't go to waste). [/QUOTE]

But it did go to "Waist" LOL. That'll learn ya!

Thanks for the write up! I forgot, what size Copperhead do you have on there?

Now we need some pictures of the river trip!

Best to you and your three kids!
    Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast