Thread: NOLS bear attack!

Default NOLS bear attack!

Prayers to the students and their families.

http://nols.blogs.com/nols_news/2011...in-alaska.html

That sucks. I hope the 4 of them heal well and without permanent disability.

I'd like to hear some more details on this. It is exceedingly rare for a bear to attack a group of 3 or more people. Was it a black or brown? Cubs? Carrion? It sounds very much like a surprise defensive attack.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

From what I have heard it was during a stream crossing by a sow brownie with a cub.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    .... It is exceedingly rare for a bear to attack a group of 3 or more people. Was it a black or brown? Cubs? Carrion? It sounds very much like a surprise defensive attack.
    From the ADN story ( http://www.adn.com/2011/07/24/198337...-of-seven.html ) it sounds like it was a grizzly sow with cub. They were crossing a river. The first guy was out of the water and out of sight of the others when he was attacked. While it is true that it is rare for a group of 3 to be attacked, that is only true if the group is together. If the first guy is out of sight of the others, then he is effectively alone. I suppose the sound of the river may have masked whatever noise they were making.

I hope they all recover OK.

I hope everyone recovers from this, i feel bad when this kind of thing happens. I also hope everyone involved with the incident (including the school) can learn something from the incident. I, personally, don't feel things like this are a tragedy, i feel it is a tragedy that sometimes things like this happen and too often people don't learn anything from it.

Not sure how much can be learned from this. By all reported accounts they did everything exactly right. It's a chance enounter in the worst possible spot where a sow with cub was surprised at their feeding ground. But the group pulled together, provided aid, called for help, had the equipment they needed. Everyone was successfully evacuated pretty quickly. Aside from the attack occuring in the first place, I'd say everything around it was done very well. Kudos to these kids for pulling together and properly handling such a serious emergency situation.

My fear would be that this event cancels the program. Anything that gets kids out into the wilderness and teaches them outdoors skills should be fully supported. Maybe they'll come up with an additional safety measure or two (not sure what that would be at this point), but I hope the program continues.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I sure hope my PLB gets here soon.

those young folks did well setting camp and tending to the injured, they kept their heads in a bad situation hats off to them for using their brains
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    OMG, the comments... LMAO at the "bear experts" over at Yahoo!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Was wondering if someone can translate this into english!

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    Was wondering if someone can translate this into english!

OMG = Oh my God
    LMAO= Laughing my (butt) off
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Alaska Dispatch has a new article with considerable detail about the attack, injuries, and first aid. Sounds like it happened so fast that a gun might not have made much difference. Also, a good reason to learn some wilderness first aid. The kids did well, under the circumstances.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ka-bear-attack

[QUOTE=overthehill;980372]Alaska Dispatch has a new article with considerable detail about the attack, injuries, and first aid. Sounds like it happened so fast that a gun might not have made much difference. Also, a good reason to learn some wilderness first aid.

And buy a PLB

Thanks Eagle River Dee.

If the statement of one of the students is accurate ie "he kicked the bear to get it off of him" it would seem that bear spray or a firearm would have been of great value in at least minimizing the attack and the number of boys hurt.

I'm not going to cheer to much for the frontiersman but they do have a well written article with good details on the attack and aftermath.

http://frontiersman.com/articles/2011/07/26/local_news/doc4e2e65aa0a4b9707138368.txt