Thread: Red Shirt Lake

Default Red Shirt Lake

I was invited to stay in one of the Public Use cabins out at Red Shirt Lake this coming weekend. I understand Pike should be the focus of any fishing efforts out there. I've never fished for pike...so what do I need to know and use? I typically use spinning tackle and I'll have access to a canoe as well. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tyler

Spoons, spinners just about anything works. Kill all you catch do not put back into water!

I have some old soft platic bass lures that destroy them. Also have used those fake frogs and mice with good success and spoons.

I have actually done fairly well at that lake on flies. But for spinning tackle, I have done very well out there with spinnerbaits. Go into Three River Fly and Tackle. Talk to Mike or Steve. They will help you find the right tackle.

Get some topwater lures...frogs,mice,etc. and fish all of the weed mats that lay over the water. They like to hang out under those. I haven't been up there for a couple of years but that has always been the way we have fished it and have caught some hogs that way. good luck!

I just got back, stayed at cabin #2. Used Ribbit rubber frogs and spinners. Wish I had brought more. WOW.

Thanks for the help...I think I've got a plan now. I've also heard that I need to use steel leader, any advice there?

Steel leaders arent completely necessary. I would reccomend #50 flourocarbon instead.

Thanks for all the help. The fishing was awesome! Tons of action out there. I had a little trouble setting the hook with the snag-less frog that I was using but eventually had some success. Also used a rapala (shallow diving rainbow trout pattern) outside the reed beds with success. Great trip.

How late in the year is that supposed to be good? I wanted to tie up some foam/cork poppers and try in october before it gets too cold.