Thread: Airboats Prohibited in most National Wildlife Refuges in Alaska

Default Airboats Prohibited in most National Wildlife Refuges in Alaska

http://www.fws.gov/refuges/FishingGu...ALA.html#75630

FYI......for those of you interested in a trip to hunt the National Wildlife Refuge areas in Alaska, click on the above link. The two areas I was interersted in, Tetlin and Yukon Flats, are clearly shown in the rules above as AIRBOATS PROHIBITED.... Bud
    Wasilla

thanks for finding that.

Appreciate the post blackdawg.
    BK

What is it about airboats and jetskiis that people hate? Us jet skiers have to deal w/ the prejudice so I feel your pain. Airplane owners on the lake where I own property saw to fit to make PWC prohibited , yet they roar around in their float planes willy-nilly. I think air boats are better for rivers and wetlands than are jet boats and 4-wheelers (not that I have a problem w/ either). I understand having select water designated for non-motorized use so the yuppies don't feel slighted, but not allowing PWC in Kachemak bay? Ridiculous! How about allowing floatplanes to land on lakes like Memory lake and it has horse power restrictions? Its politics thats what. People are anti-airboat and PWC because they interfere w/ their experience.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Could also be the lack of orginization as an airboating community to stand up for our rights.
    Might also be jealously.

Fullbush-Who enforces the NO PWC rule? Is it a borough, state, local rule that would be enforced by......?
    The knuckleheads over at Finger Lake don't like airboats either.....I've had the troopers do a "random" spot check on me before....he-he-he good times. And I live over there!!
    BK

I ended up talking with the guy in charge of Tetlin Wildlife Refuge trying to find out about surrounding areas, which as it turns out are all native controlled. Tetlin and most other refuges don't allow airboats due to noise and disturbance to wildlife, so they say. The thing to do is challange the law based on noise compared to jet boats that are permitted. Some of the new props from what I have heard are so quiet you can hear a muffled motor above the prop noise, and talk to others next to you, with no problem. I think a db level restriction would be more equiable. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Could also be the lack of orginization as an airboating community to stand up for our rights.
    Might also be jealously.

Fullbush-Who enforces the NO PWC rule? Is it a borough, state, local rule that would be enforced by......?
    The knuckleheads over at Finger Lake don't like airboats either.....I've had the troopers do a "random" spot check on me before....he-he-he good times. And I live over there!!
    BK
    Bingo on the jealousy.... I also heard Finger lake is going to outlaw PWC as well. Anyway, I'm not sure who does enforcement all I know is I'm tired of all these friggn rules imposed by yuppies who are johnny come latelys or elitest aircraft owners w/ floatplane docks in front of their lake estates. What really blows me away is the Kachemak bay anti-PWC law, it's the ocean for Heaven sake. Sorry to keep talking about PWC in the airboating section but the yuppies prejudice them just the same

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

People are anti-airboat and PWC because they interfere w/ their experience.
    I think this is the winning answer, at least for the most part.

All of us interfere with each other's experience, to some degree. The question is, what degree does a large enough majority of people consider to be too much? Airboats appear to be in that category.