Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEAD fishing leaders! Your favorite?

Default BEAD fishing leaders! Your favorite?

Hey Guys,

I am jsut curious as to what leaders you use/construct while fishing the magical beads.

What I have been doing is just using a furled leader made my JONI (on North Amercian Fly Fishing Forum, {3 leaders for 12.00}) along with a 6 foot piece of straight 8 or 10;b peice of flouro...

I was wondering those of you who employ beads, what leader you use or reccomend as well as leaders/sets up you would stay away from.

Thanks guys! Tight lines!!!

I've been doing just fine on a regular 9' 4X non florocarbon leader.

10-12 feet of Maxima ultragreen or fluorocarbon in 10 lb test seems pretty popular with many. Comes in 25 yard spools and is affordable and readily available. I am sure there are more complicated set ups, but this is a pretty popular leader for beads.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

i like to make my own /c it's cheaper and i can customize it
    to keep my split shot where i want it, i always tie blood knot about 12-18" (depending on water flow and clarity) above the bead
    i think 9 feet total is fine for small stream but i bump it up to 10-12 on the kenai
    10# flouro tippet is a good bet

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    10-12 feet of Maxima ultragreen or fluorocarbon in 10 lb test seems pretty popular with many. Comes in 25 yard spools and is affordable and readily available. I am sure there are more complicated set ups, but this is a pretty popular leader for beads.
    Are you putting a fluoro tippet on the end or just straight?

Thanks guys!

Are you using any butt material or just straight mono/flouro off the fly line?

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Are you putting a fluoro tippet on the end or just straight?

I have used the Maxima green and fluorocarbon and prefer the fluoro. Namely, it sinks faster so the bead is in the "zone" longer. Well, in theory at least. Can't say I have tested the sink rates, but fluoro is known to sink better than mono.

To answer you question, I have used one or the other, never combined.

I am not a good bead fisherman yet. Honestly, I don't enjoy fishing beads. However, a challenge is a challenge and I intend to learn more about it for the situations that dictate it's utility. You should follow the advice of others on this one.

I am just trying different rigs, knots, etc.. in an effort to find what works best. A work in progress if you will. 10' tapered leaders, fluoro, Maxima green, #6-10 hooks, hand made 7mm clay beads, plastic beads in 6-10mm, 7.2mm pink coral beads (seriously), fly rods, centerpin (float) rods, etc... I will try anything and everything to find what works best for me. I do tend to think outside the box. A double edged sword of sorts.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

not to highjack but how much weight do you guys use on say parks highway type waters. i've been keeping it to a min but i am wondering if i could not use any and get better results from a more natural drift?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    not to highjack but how much weight do you guys use on say parks highway type waters. i've been keeping it to a min but i am wondering if i could not use any and get better results from a more natural drift?
    The only time I have used zero weight is when the drift is slow and shallow and even one small splitshot stops the drift or barely moves it. The amount of weight I use depends on the water. Fast and deep water may require 2 or 3 BB size splitshot. Slow and shallow may require one or none. I'm constantly adjusting. For the OP, I taper my own leaders with different sizes of tippet and always use 8-10 lb. flourocarbon as the terminal section.

I use about 4 feet of mono. And If the current is fast, I will tie on a splitshot weight. Strike indicators work well too about 2 feet up the leader depending on how deep the water is etc.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

I dont even mess with leaders anymore. I go strait 8-9 foot section of mono tied to fly line. I usually carry some 8 lb test and 12 pound test. v I used to fish light but don't see the point when the fish typically dont care ( I know we are spoiled up here).

I just started using flourocarbon. It is supple enough and comes in a small 110 yard spool for around 10 bucks. Not sure if its the best but i have found it sinks good and has great abrasion resistance and inexpensive to boot.

Prior to this year i carried Maxima leader reels that I would refill from larger spools of maxima ultragreen at home.

TTT boys!

Anyone else out there have any leader set ups they would like to share? thanks!!!

Right now im just using a 5' furled leader with a 5-6foot peice of floro off that...Is that ok?

I use about 8 -10 feet of 10-12 lb. mono, with about 4-5 feet of 7-9 lb flouro and call it good. Maybe a little long, but a little less for the fish to see in the water, and it is easy to fish deeper if necessary

I use a furled leader with about 3 ft of flouro tippet

I'm new to the bead fishing as well. On the parks streams I have had success with 5-7' of 15lb p-line halo and 12-18" of 0X 12 lb or 8lb tippet. I put my bb split shot(s) above the tippet and use a 4size hook. Like I said I've had great success, only missed a couple strikes. I debarb my hook also. Any comments on my setup or ways to improve would be greatly appreciated....after reading all the prior comments I want to try florocarbon tippet.

Great replies guys!!!!!!

2-3ft of 30 lb mono, 2ft of 20lb mono, 3-5ft of 15lb Maxima ultragreen, 12-18in of 10 or 12lb p-line fluoro. I adjust what I need depending on where I am fishing. But thats basically what I do. Anywhere from 7ft-10ft over all length.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

~6' of 15-20# butt section, ~4' of 10-12# connected via uni/blood knot, micro swivel, then 18-22" of 6-8# flouro to bead rig... just enough BB or 3/0 above swivel to tick bottom... snags/reds tend to break off at tippet/swivel connection. adjust indicator to 1.5-2x depth of water. fish on!

Quote Originally Posted by jockomontana View Post
    ~6' of 15-20# butt section, ~4' of 10-12# connected via uni/blood knot, micro swivel, then 18-22" of 6-8# flouro to bead rig... just enough BB or 3/0 above swivel to tick bottom... snags/reds tend to break off at tippet/swivel connection. adjust indicator to 1.5-2x depth of water. fish on!

Been screwing around with rigging ideas for three years. Your advice mirrors closely to what I now use. Very sound system from what I can see. You can also snell hooks ahead of time and store the 2' 8lb flouro with snelled hooks in a Mack's Pip Box. Another thought (from Gsmolt) is to use a lefty loop on the ends of leader and tippet (hand shaked) rather than a micro swivel. Still playing around with that one, but in either case, changing beads and tippet is pretty fast. For the 8 lb flouro, I just picked up some FC Sniper after hearing from many folks that use it. 200 yards for $25 is pretty affordable for flouro.

-Dan

Sniper is amazing stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast