Thread: Switch Rods

Default Switch Rods

I'm thinking about going to a switch rod, any recommendations on the best ones.

if you got the coin get a meiser there aren't sweeter rods out there
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Just recieved my new one

I broke down and ordered an Orvis Hydros 4wt the had $100.00 off. I can't wait to use it in the the very near future. The rod is so light it almost feels weightless. I ordered a large arbor Battenkill to put on it.

Sage, Beulah, Echo, TFO

Quote Originally Posted by jim - alaska View Post
    I'm thinking about going to a switch rod, any recommendations on the best ones.
    "Best" is a very subjective term.

Best Value? Best feel? Best overall fishability? Best performance for a beginner? Best performance for an advanced caster? Best fit and finish?

There are a pile of switchrods on the market right now, including (but not limited to, and in no specific order) Sage, Beulah, Scierra, Winston, Orvis, Zpey, St. Croix, TFO, Redington, Anderson, Loomis, Vision, Greys, Scott, Guideline, Meiser, Loop, T&T, RedTruck (in proto right now), Hardy...the list goes on.

I have cast pretty much every switchrod on the market right now (and some that aren't on the market yet), and I can tell you that there aren't many clunkers out there - most are pretty good at one thing or another. Some are better for single-hand overhead casting, some excel at spey family casts, some are good (but not great) at both, and the rare few are awesome at both.

For a better answer to your question of "what is the best?", I would encourage you to think about how you will be using the rod for the bulk of your fishing time - Overhead, singlehand? Speycasting? Two-hand overhead? Indicator fishing from a boat? - and what you want to spend - and then we might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Lets lay it on the line here, I'm an idiot but I want the good gear. now then, what in sam hill is a switch rod and why is that better than a normal flyrod? After you explain that wth is a centerpinrod and why what and how????? Do I need both of these and what do I do w/ my normal flyrods?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Centerpin set up uses a float rod, often 11-15' long and a reel that while looking like a large fly reel, is just a perfectly balanced reel that has no drag. You fight the fish by palming the reel. They are used to get drag free drifts, you cast the line out, the float goes with the current. Very effective way to fish moving water. The centerpin setup uses mono, not a fly line.

Pic of one of my centerpin setups...

As for switch rods, don't know myself, but they seem to be gaining in popularity.

And do you "need" all of them?

Of course you do
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Switch rod is a rod designed so that it can be cast single handed, or two handed(either spey or overhead)

Longer than your average single hand fly rod, shorter than your average spey rod.

In my opinion the most versatile and useful tool available to the modern fly angler. Maintains all the advantages and disadvantages of a longer rod.

That's the nutshell answer.

Dan- You should look into a switch rod. It will do what your float rods will... only you can still call it fly fishing.
    Seriously. Long casts, Long drifts, great mending.

Thanx fellas! Guess i'm shopping for a switch rod now. The center pin w/ the mono is mighty cool but may be above my technical level

I'm taking a poll

Fullbush,

The rod I had on our fishing trip this spring was a 10'8" 5 wt switch. In my experience lining the rod is most crucial and that in itself is and effort to get it right for how you will fish. For my zaxis 6wt I lined with RIO Switch line and it cast awesome with bead and strike indicator. I haven't tried it with a sink tip yet. Line it right for what you fish, but getting it figured out can be frustrating and costly.

My 5wt is an awesome lake rod from my single cat or belly boat.

George

George, we're going shopping! I need more tutelage on that roll cast too BTW the timothy hay growing along the bank of the little su has been working me over! 0h yeah, 5 dollies and about 8 of those sperm shootin little jack kings yesterday on the bead

I'm taking a poll

If you have a bad casting shoulder, the switch rod seems to put less strain on it.

Fred

Fullbush,
    Wish I had a few more days before I head back. Too much to do to little time.. See you this fall.

George

If you wanna bat for both teams, buy a switch rod. I personally, I went with single handers and two handers. I figure that way I all ways know what I'm doing!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

best ones

This land is your land, this land is my land