Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chitina dipnetting reports?

Default Chitina dipnetting reports?

Has anyone been dipnetting this week in the copper river that wouldn't mind sharing their success or lack of? Went on an ill timed trip out there last week and returned with 2 reds after 6 hours. Fish and game said it's picking up and the numbers suggest it but if anyone has any input it would be appreciated. Just have no interest in the madness of kenai.

Default Resources

Welcome to the ODD Forums..

http://aksalmondipnetting.com/copper/index.htm

This link will give you tons of info from many ADFG and NOAA websites.

Call Hems hotline - 907-823-2200. He gives a report daily on how the dipnetting was and the current water levels.

Good luck!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I did an overnighter using hem's service on friday evening. Fished from 7pm to 1am and 5am to 1pm. 90 fish between 3 people. Fishing is not excellent. Be prepared to work for them.

Water is very high. Friends just got back from a fish wheel for a couple of days and they got 4 fish.

Not good fishing right now.

I'd wait for the water to drop, personally.

My buddy and I got his 30 and my 15 on Saturday. We used wheelers to get down the trail. We fished from 2 a.m til noon and 7 p.m til midnight to get our fish. As mentioned, the water is high and fishing was kind of slow and steady. Good luck.

Yea, seems like everybody were limiting out when I was there (fri-sat). but they had put in at least 12 hours of fishing.

Think about it. You drive 4-6 hours one-way to go fishing once a year. You don't want it to be too hot and catch all your fish at once. There is a greater sense of enjoyment and accomplishment when you have to work for them a bit.

Plus, do you really want to have just turn around and go home after slaying your limit in a few hours?

~tr

I agree to that. I kinda wanted it steady and slow as long as I get my limit

Slayed 'em on Sunday and Monday. People from the shore weren't doing as well, but dredging in the boat was very good. Finished my limit of 48 (+proxy -12 fish from earlier trip) on Sunday. First 5 hours were from a slow eddy where I caught 18, then I caught the remaining 30 in about 2 hours from the boat. All 5 of us were limited by 7pm and back in camp with all the fish on ice. Monday morning I caught my 20 supp's in about an 3 hours (some driving the boat) of dredging. Other two guys got their 20 as well. We all limited, about 215 total in a day and a half.

I also caught the largest king I've every seen in Chitina. Only other kings I've seen this size was from the Kenai. We are estimating he weighed in at 60-65 pounds. It was an absolute monster, and was painful to have to let go. I caught 5 kings on Sunday.

We slammed too - AVG 20/hr.... Just got done cutting a few min ago...

Which boat were you in? Not many out there on Sunday and Monday. We had the 20' Camo Predator.

I sure hope it holds out until this weekend. Friday can't get here soon enough.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Slayed 'em...about 215 total in a day and a half.
    The Je(ro)di Knight strikes against the Red Forces once again...

~tr

I'd rather slay my limitin a few hours, head back to my camping hole and have a dozen beers or so around the fire and listen to Hems boats rock the canyon.

We got two limits (60) in 10 hours on Monday from shore in the Canyon. We'd call it slow, but we're spoiled. Did limit so can't complain. Didn't fish for the supplemental, but probably could have since fishing was consistent - sometimes it just takes time.

-hiker

it took us 14 hours on Friday night/Saturday to get 60 from shore in the canyon. Then we stayed for the supplemental. Had nets in the water by midnight and got our 20 fish in 45 minutes, so pretty good fishing on the particular hole we found.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Which boat were you in? Not many out there on Sunday and Monday. We had the 20' Camo Predator.
    Black 21' Alaskan XL w/ 175 E-Tec...

Hey Jerod, I think we talked to you while waiting for a pilot care on the way home Monday, we had a trailer and ATV. We caught 55 for 3 of us which is all we wanted. Caught most of them from about 7pm to midnight Sunday night. Should get better as August rolls around and the river drops. IMHO We fished out the ATV trail past the tunnel.

Steve

Steve, if you are the one with the buddy that decided to wait until the pilot truck was coming to finally run into the woods to pee, yup, that was us.

I think you're right, with the river coming down, the dipping should get easier and the numbers are there to have a solid few weeks.

Good talking to you along the road. It makes those pilot car waits more bearable to shoot the stuff with folks.

That was us, and yeah, my friend said "to hell with it, gotta go now" Small world up here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast