Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Creek Numbers are way too slow!!

Default Fish Creek Numbers are way too slow!!

At this time last year, we had 68,000 fish counted at Fish Creek and the opening number was 70,000.
    This years number on the same date is @ 4000 fish counted. So.... unless 44,000 fish return before July 31st, there will be no dipping on the Creek this year. Even thought the threshhold was dropped to 50,000 before dipping would be allowed.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I would not be surprised either way. Most years fish creek does not open up anyhow. The last two years have just been a windfall in my mind. However, the Kenai only had 2000+ fish the day before the big rush, and then WHAM, 230,000 in one day. That is amazing. So nothing surprises me. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens at fish creek.

Keeping our "collective fingers crossed!!!"
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Gonna piss some people off but..... Since the the Kenai has been forcasted way under what is actually to arrive, Sockeye wise, I'm sure the EO's of the commercials will just offset any gain the in-river fisheries might see. We are talking about a creek, compared to a river. The Kenai/Kasilof will offset any gains the Northern fishery might see. Just watch what commfish does with the EO's!!! The tail wagging the Dog

I'd have to agree. If any of those massive OTF numbers were going to make they would have been here by now.I'm now worried all the extra com fish hours are going to pick up silvers too. That would suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    I'd have to agree. If any of those massive OTF numbers were going to make they would have been here by now.I'm now worried all the extra com fish hours are going to pick up silvers too. That would suck!
    why would you worry about the gill netters catching silvers now? I mean we've been targeting them for the last 100 plus years where have you been? Oh wait you just moved here I forgot, never mind

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

And hopefully not a Cali transpant...

What FB is saying is you are taking fish from him that he used to be able to sell on the open Market. Now that other Alaskans are wanting their fair share, he sees this as competition. A small group of Comfishers used to control the whole market but now they don't. Now they complain and bellyache. its tough having total control of a resource and then being told you have to share. Why else would FB be posting on a dipnetting thread? Except to complain????

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to thewhop2000 again.

Default Losing control never looked so good!

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    What FB is saying is you are taking fish from him that he used to be able to sell on the open Market.
    Oh I still sell silvers on the open market, don't kid yourself. I like to provide about 65,000lbs of quality gill net caught silvers to the fine Americans of the midwest each year. You guys should get into the food market its red hot these days. You're so worried about filling your freezers to feed yourselves when you should concentrate on feeding others You guys should quit your bellyaching and get into the food business its wide open we're getting rich but the smart people are driving the price up by demand. People are offering $190,000 for PWS drift permits. You should see the price of a farm

I'm taking a poll

How can you not like Fullbush, with a response like that???? Rep points coming your way if I'm allowed!!!

Apparentely not still allowed, who wants some rep points???
    Last edited by thewhop2000; 07-24-2011 at 21:34. Reason: cause I can!!!

How can you not like Fullbush,
    I got it. If we catch fish that have already swum past his nets, to feed ourselves and our families, we're bad.

And if we go get a commercial permit and catch fish in the salt water before they've had a chance to swim into his net, we're good.

Check!

Familyman, now you see the BIG PICTURE!!!!!!

The whop-you hijacked your own thread. You went from talking about Fish Creek to dogging a comm fisherman. WTH? And what is up with your signature, is it to leave us all questioning you follwing the regs? LMAO! Good One!

In all seriousness, that CREEK should never be opened to netters. I've said it previously, it would be a great place for kids to learn how to catch sockeye. Instead of EO it to dipnetters, do it for the kiddos.

FIsh On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    . However, the Kenai only had 2000+ fish the day before the big rush, and then WHAM, 230,000 in one day.
    Not even close dummy. Before it went to 230k in one day, they were over 60K, and there had been several days over 2k each.

How can you not like Fullbush, with a response like that???? Rep points coming your way if I'm allowed!!!

Apparentely not still allowed, who wants some rep points???
    Me!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    Not even close dummy. Before it went to 230k in one day, they were over 60K, and there had been several days over 2k each.
    Hey watch your mouth pal. I meant the daily count was 2000+, not the cumulative count. Go check the fish counts.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    why would you worry about the gill netters catching silvers now? I mean we've been targeting them for the last 100 plus years where have you been? Oh wait you just moved here I forgot, never mind
    Hey don't get your panties in a twist its just a forum post after all.

I'm in the minority opinion that think Fish & Game do a pretty good job at managing the fish for everyone. I have no complaints and honestly not terribly worried about silvers. It would be nice to have easy fishing in the Knik streams for silvers but from the look of things they need every comm. boat hour possible to control whats comming this summer.

I'll be perfectly honest and admit that you guys do the fishing thing far more efficiently than I do, take all costs into accout its likely cheaper to just buy Salmon from you guys than it is to get it on my own. but it's not nearly as much fun. Best of luck to you.

p.s. Matt. my home town is a hell of alot closer than California, and honestly? take away brand names and store labels you'd have a hard time telling the difference between where I come from and Wasilla! Not that it really matters I'm here to stay as long as I can support my family here.

p.s.s Oh and one last little note.... the revenue the government gets because I do my job right pretty much pays for everything up here so remember that we all contribute to our community in our own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Hey don't get your panties in a twist its just a forum post after all.

I'm in the minority opinion that think Fish & Game do a pretty good job at managing the fish for everyone. I have no complaints and honestly not terribly worried about silvers. It would be nice to have easy fishing in the Knik streams for silvers but from the look of things they need every comm. boat hour possible to control whats comming this summer.

I'll be perfectly honest and admit that you guys do the fishing thing far more efficiently than I do, take all costs into accout its likely cheaper to just buy Salmon from you guys than it is to get it on my own. but it's not nearly as much fun. Best of luck to you.

p.s. Matt. my home town is a hell of alot closer than California, and honestly? take away brand names and store labels you'd have a hard time telling the difference between where I come from and Wasilla! Not that it really matters I'm here to stay as long as I can support my family here.

p.s.s Oh and one last little note.... the revenue the government gets because I do my job right pretty much pays for everything up here so remember that we all contribute to our community in our own way.
    Good post, I wish I could rep ya but I already met my rep quota for this 24 hrs (i even stroked the whop w/ a rep) I'll make it up to you tomorrow so remind me.

I'm taking a poll

Default There are fish there

Back to the OP's topic. I ran by there today to look at the fish. Here is a shot from the bridge, looking down. There are fish stacked up in there, although they look pretty spawned out. I hiked back a ways and it seems like a continuous line of fish (not this thick, but pretty much single or double file the whole creek).

I never saw the creek during this time of year so I have no reference point. Sure wish it was like this during silver season in August

fishcreek.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast