Thread: "Bad" leaders?

Default "Bad" leaders?

Today I was out fishing, and every bite and/or hangup I had, the line broke at the knot. Normally, I don't have many problems with my knots--usually a clinch or improved clinch. Today, broke off at the slightest tension--all day.

My question: Is it possible I got a "bad" leader? Or have I all of a sudden lost the abililty to tie a knot that will hold?

Has anyone ever had a leader that gave them problems with knot strength? I am hoping I did not all of a sudden lose the ability to tie a knot that will hold.

If you are using fluorocarbon then that is your problem. Sounds like you can tie a knot, but I'll go back to the sixth grade and remind you to wet the line before you pull it tight.

I had a bad spool of 8lb maxima once. Could snap it off much easier than 4lb. Had the right thickness of 8, so I don't think it was mislabled. Just a bad spool.

I am assuming ou utilizing a pre-made packaged leader? If you are visit our local fly shop and check out a Bear-Tooth braided loop leader or and go to www.orvis.com and check out their Braid-butt Loop Leader. Works great for fish up to about 10-12 lbs or from Grayling to Pinks however for larger fish I find they fraggggggg to often i.e. rip at the loop. Then just purchase some 2,4,6,8, and 10 lbs Tippet material and use 2-6 ft and loop it to the loop. That or make your own leaders by tying a butt section of 12 -14 Lbs Test skip all the xxxx terms we are in AK. Taper each section down till you have the required lbs you wish to fish with. If you're fishing Salmon and just high sticking or swinging the fly 4-8ft strait whatever lbs test your fihsing for your water depth attached directly to your fly line also works.

http://www.ehow.com/video_5361489_ma...ng-leader.html

http://www.flydealflies.com/leaderdesign.html

On a side note most if not all line goes bad eventually even sitting on the store shelf.

Best wishes

BMR

Leader breaks down with UV and heat. If you've had it a while or if it was sitting in a sunny window in the fly shop, dump it. Wetting is good for knot strength, but not all knots retain 100% of line strength. Assuming you're using the same knot as always, it's got to be old/damaged leader or failure to wet, when you used to do so.

BTW- Clinch and improved clinch are only around 60-65% knots. I switch back and forth between Palomar and Uni Knot, which are both 100% when tied right. My pick of the litter is the Uni because you can leave it "open" as a loop if you want more action in streamers and things.

Thanks, all!

I do wet the knot before tightening. I use the palomar when I use braided line but never have tried it on mono of any kind. I will have to learn the uni knot.

I know clinch and improved clinch are not the most efficient, but have not had the fail rate I had yesterday. I am glad to hear that it (maybe) was not all me!!

Quote Originally Posted by toby.davis1 View Post
    I am glad to hear that it (maybe) was not all me!!
    Not even a little bit, it sounds like. I'd suspect the leader material, whatever the cause.

sounds like old leader to me
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.