Thread: Want Halibut + Lings but there's just 2 of us. Options?

Default Want Halibut + Lings but there's just 2 of us. Options?

Hi guys,

So my girlfriend and I are filling our freezer fast with salmon.

We'd really like to get some halibut and some Ling cod but since there is only 2 of us, I do not know exactly how to go about this. I havent seen per person prices for halibut+ling charters anywhere.

I know they have decent deals out of the deep creek area for Halibut but would really like to get lings as well.

What are my options other than renting a full charter for only the 2 of us?
    Anybody want to join us to make a full charter?

Also, where should we go out of? Seward? Homer?

thanks!
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Soda,

I hear your pain. I don't know of anyone who targets lings specifcally, as they appear to me to be the opportunistic by-catch when the primary quarry is halibut. Also, I am years out of touch with mainland Alakska chartering, so I'm in the dark, (ask me that after this September's assignment in Homer and the Kenai) and I should certainly be more in the know. I hope the locals can help you on this.

If you were in Kodiak I would put you on Runnamuck Carters with Kenny. He targets plenty, and pulls ling along with halibut anywhere from Monoshka Bay to Whale Pass.

I am lingless as well; plenty of white flesh from halibut and Pacific Cod, but not a single ling...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL
    http://www.alaskanauthor.com
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Soda,

I just got back from fishing out of Homer. The wife and I went out with Silver Fox charters on a couple Ling/Halibut combo trips. They do book per person prices ours were 325 a person since we booked mutiple days. We wanted to do the same and fill the freezer and we did that on two trips. The size of the lings were amazing and limits of butts and lings both days. The trips were about 10 hours start to finish. We ended up with 78 pounds of fish the first day and 74 the second. Check thier website out I think you will be as pleased as we are with there service if you decide to go with them. There are many others to chose from in that are aswell that do the per person combo trips.

Tight lines and good fishing

If your just after meat, the over night trips out of homer, Alaska Coastal Marine, allow 2 limits of halibut for only about 20 bucks more than a standard 'butt charter. Won't generally run into any lings though. If lings are more of a priority the combo's with saltwater safari, 42' Delta's, out of seward do pretty well on lings. It was several years ago I got 2 over 40#. Also Alaska northern do combo's with a 42' Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sloka View Post
    If lings are more of a priority the combo's with saltwater safari, 42' Delta's, out of seward do pretty well on lings.
    Yep. can get halibut and lings ... and don't be afraid to be one of the first to volunteer to fish one of the jig lines off the back of the boat.

Happy fishing!