Thread: First Coho of the Year and First for my new Outback!

Default First Coho of the Year and First for my new Outback!

Ok, so last week I jigged up a few herring and undersize rockfish. That doesn't count.

So I launch out of Seward near Miller's landing and make it almost to Caines Head. I manage to pick up my first coho of the year and the christening real fish for my new outback! WOOHOO! Nothing huge. Maybe 6 pounds and 22.5 inches.

Caught it on 5.0 coyote spoon right off Tonsina Creek. I had one other one on but lost it at the same place but when I was headed back in. I thought I might hook a chum but I am pretty sure the fish I lost was a coho too by the way it fought. This outback sure is worth its money when it comes to trolling and letting out flashers and such without tangling.

I spent about half the day jigging with not much to show for it. I did manage a small greenling I was going to send down for bait and then realized I should at least measure it and get points.

The wind and rain pick up and it gets cold so I decide to call it a day. the outback definitely gives me WAY more range!!! Too cool. After spending the first half of the summer getting my upper body in shape, now I need to get my legs in shape. After I stopped for a bit, I started to cramp up when I got cold and a tinge of panic as I was thinking I didn't want to paddle all the way back. Nothing some fluids and a snickers bar couldn't take care of though!

Going to try and hit the Kenai River Monday and see about upgrading my tiny king I entered into the AOTY. ;D

Too bad I didn't have my act together. I only got the back end of the battle on video.

Congrats on the silver and new ride. So tell me more about your new kayak. Model? size? What made you pick this one?

It's a Hobie Outback. 12ft kayak with a mirage pedal drive. I got it since my mini-x just didn't have enough range. My legs are way stronger than my upper body and the pedal drives allows me to troll or hold position with my feet and handle the rod. I am going to test it Monday on the Kenai to see how much effort is required. I fish the lower river and it seems like its always windy so I bought a small sail as well. This should allow me to not only backtroll but actual bottom bounce a few holes.

The outback is HEAVY at 60 pounds..nearly twice as heavy as my mini-x. It's 31 inches wide so its super stable. You sit fairly low in it so it seems very stable.

I am amazed at the efficiency of the mirage drives. Gets you up and cruising at hull speed in a just a few pedal strokes. The hobies aren't very fast hulled so I added the turbo fins and the cadence to cruise along at 3mph is very comfortable. On only the second time out, I had no problems peddling into a decent 10 to 15 mph wind and peddling from Millers'landing to Derby Cove right near Caines Head. That's about 3 miles one way. Would have been impossible in my mini-x against the wind and the current. If I had my mini-x, I would have had to fish right near Miller's landing. Paddle like crazy against the wind for a few minutes, and drift back while on break. I would have stayed in a quarter mile radius.

It's their SUV version so they have kayaks that travel faster and easier but I am a wimp so I opted for stability. I think my next kayak in a few years will be a Hobie Adventure, their 15 ft sea Kayak. But too skinny for my current skills and too long I think to use on rivers.

More testing to come!!!

Thanks Rudy! that sounds like a great new set up for you. I wonder on windy days if you will be able to sail back up river for another drift? What would really be cool is if you could pedal it and have a reverse so as to hold on the river. Look forward to read of more of your adventures.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Nice break-in there Mr. T
    Your new Outback looks pretty sweet.Congradulation on the up-grade...you really did need it.
    Ready to hit the lower Kenai tommorrow ?I've already contacted Jammer and he's hot to trot.Call and we'll co-ordinate plans.
    See you real soon.

By hte way--don't let my wife see your Outback--I know she'll want one....

Awesome stuff. I fish salmon out of my IK and it's a blast.

Quick question: You said you launched "near Miller's". Is there a place to launch other than their boat ramp? Last time I checked, Miller's charges something like $10 to put a kayak in. No problem there, but if there's a free alternative I'm always interested in hearing it. Thanks for any info.

South beach down the road 100 yards I launch then park at the trailhead which costs 5 bucks. Don't see launch fee signs there..... In fact millers landing folks didn't take money and pointed me to the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Thanks Rudy! that sounds like a great new set up for you. I wonder on windy days if you will be able to sail back up river for another drift? What would really be cool is if you could pedal it and have a reverse so as to hold on the river. Look forward to read of more of your adventures.
    Hmm..thought I had replied to this...sry. lol. Going senile I think...

I think between a little peddling the sail could in wind of 15 to 20 mph go up the Kenai in July in some holes. So little of the Kayak is in the water that its mainly just the surface tension more than drag I think. Not sure when I can test it. Current online tournament I am in only allows human power. I've tried it for like 10 minutes in Seward and it works great! Not sure I get the 180 deg they claim but it was close with my large rudder and mirage drive acting like a daggerboard.

I can flip the drive around and then it only has reverse. Takes ten seconds. I am going to try that next time but since the time on the Kenai River is my first time ever on any kayak on a river, I opted to keep things familiar and safe. It's really cool stuff.