Thread: King numbers

Default King numbers

If you did not know Fish and game has done their counts on valley streams for spawning kings. Most were not even close to the minimum escapement. Little Su was short 12 fish and closed early. The rest were at about half the minimum. Lake Creek, Little Willow and the Deshka were the only three to make it.

Bill

Well, it's a good thing they left all of them open this year then.....
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Do you know what the actual numbers were?

Quote Originally Posted by wbooth View Post
    Little Su was short 12 fish and closed early. Bill
    How do they determine the count was 12 short before they shut it down?
    Do they use the counts on the lil su board?

I thought they just did the aerial count last week....

I'm thinking that conventional wisdom is losing out to voodoo science.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

It was the numbers from the aerial count that I was talking about. The king numbers for all streams but the 3 that made it were very bad. I guess you could say the Little Su was not bad just a bit short, they did close it very early though. Call Sam Ivey at Palmer FnG and he can give you all the numbers by stream. I would plan to king fish early next summer. How many years in a row can they keep these rivers open then say "wow, we should have done somthing sooner." I guess when they are all gone real change will take place.

Bill Booth

I would plan to king fish early next summer. How many years in a row can they keep these rivers open then say "wow, we should have done somthing sooner." I guess when they are all gone real change will take place.
    See, I just totally do not understand this mentality. Sport fishers know there is a problem, they tell everyone there is a problem, and then they say the solution is to stop fishing. But then the next breath is, "I'm going to get out there early next year to get my fishing in before they shut it down." Really? Why don't all the sport fishers take their own advice and stop fishing right now? Why do you need to wait for the government to come in and tell you that you can't fish? Take some initiative folks. I've known there is a king problem for many years. By choice, I've not fished for kings for those many years. Maybe that's how the sport fishermen can bring some attention to this matter... sign a no-fishing for kings pact amonst yourselves on a voluntary basis. With enough media attention, you might just bring the point home. Think outside the box and stop waiting for the government to come in and save you.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I never said stop fishing. Like everyone I have ideas to help. One would be use tags like a moose tag so people do not simply print a new lic. once they have killed 5. Stop with the proxy system. Limit guide days and comm fish some as well. You sound as if you are so proactive you also take no tax breaks to help the government fix the debt problem because they can not do that as well.

They should shut down the lil su for a few years, during king season, suspend proxies all together, and restrict the commercial nets in the UCI.
    With the weir not being used, as it should be, there is no real count on the lil su.

I never said stop fishing. Like everyone I have ideas to help. One would be use tags like a moose tag so people do not simply print a new lic. once they have killed 5. Stop with the proxy system. Limit guide days and comm fish some as well. You sound as if you are so proactive you also take no tax breaks to help the government fix the debt problem because they can not do that as well.
    Bill,

Considering this recommendation comes from a guide (you of course) builds a LOT of merrit. I feel like the Little Su is abused and not appreciated. The regs should be more stingent in all areas to protect one of the nicest salmon rivers in the whole state. And that includes getting the 2 strokes off the water that impact the water quality. Thanks for your ideas and input.

TR