Thread: Firearms on Ft. Rich/Elmendorf

Default Firearms on Ft. Rich/Elmendorf

I'm planning to meet some friends at the cabins on Otter Lake on Ft. Rich/Elmendorf. I was considering bringing a firearm since we're planning to do a bit of fishing and hiking around Southcentral. Does anyone know what the rules are for bringing guns on base or could you direct me to a website that has the rules? This is kind of a last minute thought so I won't be able to call anyone to inquire. Thanks!...Louis
    Louis Knapp

To the best of my knowledge, you will be required to register your firearm(s) at the MP/Provost marshal's office when you enter the base. Things will go badly if you don't tell them at the gate that you have a firearm and then they find it in a random search. Handcuffs, lawyers,blah blah blah....But someone will probably pipe up and tell me I'm wrong.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

You're right. It can be done at the welcome center desk at the front gate. You'll need to stop there anyway to get a pass if you're not military. DON'T carry it in with you, just have the info they need (model, make, caliber and ser. number)

Call the Provost Marshall Office at 907-552-3421.

I was told before that I wasn't even allowed to bring my shotgun on base unless you were going to the skeet range or hunting out where your allowed to. I told them I just needed to stop by the BX to pick up some ammo, and it was a no-go....had to go to Freddies.

I live on Elmendorf and unless you register the firearm it is not allowed on base. You can go to ft rich main gate to register for ft rich or boniface gate for Elmo. Elmo doesn't allow firearms anywhere but the skeet range as far as I know. I know you cannot carry or have one on Elmo unless it's in the armory or at your house. Ft rich does allow them in the recreation areas but you would have to talk to the mp at the main ft rich gate for details. I can provide you with the number if you pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaTRD4x4 View Post
    I live on Elmendorf and unless you register the firearm it is not allowed on base. You can go to ft rich main gate to register for ft rich or boniface gate for Elmo. Elmo doesn't allow firearms anywhere but the skeet range as far as I know. I know you cannot carry or have one on Elmo unless it's in the armory or at your house. Ft rich does allow them in the recreation areas but you would have to talk to the mp at the main ft rich gate for details. I can provide you with the number if you pm me.
    This is incorrect information. Under BRAC, Ft. Rich and Elmendorf are now Joint Base Elmendorf/Richardson also known as JBER. Command structure under this architecture places the jurisdiction of the garrison activites under the 673d Airbase Wing and the garrison regulation is not seperated between the two services under any such circumstance. If you bring a firearm on post you need to register that firearm and there are places that you can bring it or have it for short periods of time. Don't listen to some "I think you can..."outhouse BS and risk it. Call the Provost Marshall Office, 907-552-3421. I sit across the **** table from the PMO himself at least once a week. Call his office and some SP/MP will give you the real deal.