Thread: End of the Year Pics

Default End of the Year Pics

Ok, here is the last of my fur that will be sold as soon as I box it up. I still have my lynx sets out, but if I catch one, it will be staying with me.

Here is my shed. I bought this last year from a friend and had it moved to the back of my lot. It was worth every dime.

Here are some rats on the stretcher, a few that need to be skinned and my last fox.

Here is the last of the catch including a couple of beaver.

It was a great season. I thank everyone on here that has helped me out in my second year of trapping.

1 otter
    7 beaver
    5 marten
    49 red fox
    54 muskrats
    1 backpack with 12 Budweisers

Default Great furs

Hey Kusko, those are great furs. I am curious as to what part of Alaska you are in. I will be moving to Homer in the summer of 08 and would like to meet some trappers in the area to learn some of the local methods. Its been several yearssince I have ran a trap line(the furs in southern Az are a bit thin if you know what I mean).

ANyway, I will retired for the most part and would like to hunt and trap in the winter, fish and dredge in the warmer months. If you are not in the Homer area I would love to pick your brain over the phone or email.

Again congrats on a great season!!

Default Kusko

Great pics and beautiful furs. What kind of set did you catch the otter in?

By the way, I think you found my beers. I can identify. The cans are white with red lettering. Please return. HEHE

All right kusko looks like you got that fox trapping down , what kind of sets were you using for those reds? Good luck on those lynx setsand keep us posted.

Todd
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Dredger, send me a pm and we can talk. I know a good trapper from the Homer area.

For the fox, I just use snares on trail sets. I have caught a few using bait piles, but the trail sets are pretty productive. If we have decent snow, I usually set my snares on the trails that seem to get the most use early in the season. It seems they will come back and use them again as if in a pattern. As the season progresses, I continue to set these trails as they are used over and over by other fox. I will also set "secondary" trails that they might take if they get educated.

This year I flirted with setting snares after making a "trail" with my snowmachine. I only caught one, but I didn't put in a monumental effort.

BTW, all of my fox were snared.

Good job Kusko!Lets bump up that marten total next year and make some money!!When are you comming to town??Ice fishing has been great lately up at the cabin.I'm heading out tomarrow to cut in some more line for next year and check on a bear den to see if she's awake yet.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Good job Kusko!Lets bump up that marten total next year and make some money!!When are you comming to town??Ice fishing has been great lately up at the cabin.I'm heading out tomarrow to cut in some more line for next year and check on a bear den to see if she's awake yet.
    Steve,
    I was just there for a little layover two Saturday's ago. I found out we have a mutual taxidermist. I 've been using him since we moved up here (9 years ago).

I hope to bump up those marten. I'd be happy to double my catch. I don't think I'll be in very soon, but if something comes up, I'll give you a ring.

Kusko, congrats. Nice pics too. Marten took a nosedive at auction this year, glad I sold early. You eating those muskrats? Man that is some good meat and brings back memories.
    Best,

Nice furs!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Talking Fur machine?

Trying to figure out what kind of a hand-cranked machine you've got going under your fox furs...?

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Kusko, congrats. Nice pics too. Marten took a nosedive at auction this year, glad I sold early. You eating those muskrats? Man that is some good meat and brings back memories.
    Best,

Yes they did take a nosedive, but in reality, the prices were about normal, eh?

I don't eat the muskrats, but have been tempted to try them.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Trying to figure out what kind of a hand-cranked machine you've got going under your fox furs...?
    That's a fuel pump for tanks and 55 gallon drums.