Thread: dippin food

Default dippin food

I don;t know if this should go on the "pantry" section or on here. but here goes.

What do you guys pack when you go dipnetting? last year was my first year ( I went with long time dippers to learn the ropes) and I didn't eat near as much as I thought I would, I took ham and creamcheese samwiches and a bag of chips and tinfoil. all 3 days I only ate 3 samwiches and 1 red fillet and I didn't even notice that I didn't eat anything

But this year I don't have any fat to loose(I reckon thats what farming with out equipment does lol) so I'm lookin at what I should pack. I'm planing on eating some of the reds I catch (or maybe a flounder) and taking some of moms homemade granola. but is there anything else not messy or a pain to cook that you guys take? I'd prefer if it weren't "junk" food. what do you guys think about a couple cans of a couple cans of chilli or pork n beans or something? I'm limited on what I can bring and I don't need to eat like a king, but I will be there for 4 days or so or till the limit is filled.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I do the same thing every year. Seems I just do not eat much while out dipping. We pack all kinds of food and end up bringing most of it home. But when we do eat, here are some of the things we have:

Campfire food- Hot dogs, beans, etc.. always a winner. Don't forget the smores fixings!

We also make spagetti when we go out. Either buy the premade sauce or make your own ahead of time. All you have to do is boil the pasta and you are set.

For breakfast, we usually go with easy foods like granola bars or pop tarts. Just something quick and easy before heading to the water.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

kenai has some fine cuisine

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    I do the same thing every year. Seems I just do not eat much while out dipping. We pack all kinds of food and end up bringing most of it home. But when we do eat, here are some of the things we have:

Campfire food- Hot dogs, beans, etc.. always a winner. Don't forget the smores fixings!

We also make spagetti when we go out. Either buy the premade sauce or make your own ahead of time. All you have to do is boil the pasta and you are set.

For breakfast, we usually go with easy foods like granola bars or pop tarts. Just something quick and easy before heading to the water.
    Yup, same thing happens to me. I don't eat much once the fishin' starts. This is how it went with us on this last trip:

Pack WAY too much stuff in general, including food.

Fish all day, from sun-up.

Unload gear, fish, etc. Get completely exhausted. Whine about having to make dinner. Realize we need to go get ice, which gives us a GREAT excuse to skip making anything and go straight to McDonald's. Eat. Fishing partner passes out in passenger seat while I drive back to camp.

Go to sleep.

Awaken refreshed, and eat a freeze-dried breakfast with renewed vigor.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    ...go straight to McDonald's...
    Other than your Mango Smoothie, I'd say this was a disappointment...

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    An even better method (IMO) is to make your spaghetti at home, mix the sauce in. Put it in a vacuum bag in serving sizes. DO NOT SEAL IT YET. Roll the open end and clip it with a clothespin to keep it from leaking. Lay it flat in the freezer and freeze it. Then seal the bag. When you are at your campsite, just boil water, drop in the bags and voila you will soon have a meal, no mess to clean up (other than bags and eating utensils) and it can be done on the beach without getting sand in your food. I do this with several meals that freeze well and use it to pack for hunting trips as well. The frozen meals also serve as your "ice" for keeping some drinks cold for a while.

AK Chappy

I was thinking for ice I would fill up some milk jugs with water and freeze them, cause then once they thawed out I could drink them
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

My dipping partner brings the same stuff every year...couple boxes of doughnuts and red bull.

I usually pack a couple sandwiches and a couple of pop tarts. I take a jet boil for coffee.

If the fishing is good I'm not taking time out to eat much and if the fishing is too slow I go home.

That said after a couple days dipping we usually stop at the Caribou in Glenallen and eat like Vikings...

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I was thinking for ice I would fill up some milk jugs with water and freeze them, cause then once they thawed out I could drink them
    I do just that all year every year, I have 4, 1 gallon jugs I keep frozen, 2 go in the fish cooler and 2 in the food cooler and they are good (still have ice) for about 4 days. I like the milk jugs from wally world cus they have the screw on tops, as for pouring milk they suck I always drip some.

Fill them 3/4 full and like you said you have fresh water if you need it in a pinch.
    The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH