Thread: Kiwi wanting advice on what flys to tie for next salmon sea

Default Kiwi wanting advice on what flys to tie for next salmon sea

Hey guys wondering if someone could advise on the flys needed to catch salmon in alaska next year.
    I live in New Zealand and a friend and I are coming to Alaska next year and are about to tie some flys, we are going to try and cover all of the breeds.
    Be good to catch a king on a fly whats the best set up for them also patterns would be great
    All advice welcomed
    Thanks Gary

aren't there kings in new zealand?

check out intruders
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The easiest way is to hit up alaskaflyfishinggoods.com and peruse their flys. Find a bunch you like, use them as a baseline for how you like to tie and what you like to tie. You can get a good general idea of flys there. Tie some up, and post up some pictures on here.

We all like looking at flys, and enjoy giving feedback. Also, this winter (summer for you?), when the fishing slows down, maybe try and get in on a fly swap or two on this forum. Good way to see what other people are tying and how they are tying it. You could get some Alaska flys, and bunch of us would enjoy using your NZ ties up here.

I agree with both replies. Intruders work great on king's, i especially like black and green intruders.

When going for pinks and chums I use flies with alot of flash. Your just trying to piss them off.

For silvers I prefer clouser minnows in various colors.

A fly swap would be great icb12. we should do an Alaskan / New Zealand fly swap. Just in case any of us have the opportunity to make the trip.

Thanks guys will tie a couple and put some pictures up, Im not a profesional tier but I find the flashest flies dont actually catch more fish.
    Just woundering has the flies with the trialing hook got two hooks or one tyed to something alse we dont use anything like that here
    Mainly streamer flys in yellow or black will take a picture of them as well they are slightly weighted

Just dont bring Flies for Salmon, bring stuff for Rainbows,Char, and Grayling. Can be pretty Awesome in the fall. Not to steal your thread but ant Suggestions for down there ? Going to N.Z. for a snowboard comp on the S. island in 2 weeks. Will also be around National Park on the N. Island. Going to bring my fly gear even though its Winter. Have a fun trip next year !!

Hey there pegleg your timing is just right for the snow we didnt have any on the ski fields till about two weeks ago but now have heaps.I live in the south Island in a place called Temuka which in the middle of the south island as for fishing in the north island you can catch trout at tuiragi on the south end of taupo in the tongararo you will find the locals there friendly and helpfull.
    Down here ther are a few places open to fishing but not to many you could always try the cannel system in central south canterbury inland from me were there are trout, rainbows and browns up to 40 lb and a few salmon that have escaped from the farm