Thread: MGD,golf balls brocc & zucs picture

Default MGD,golf balls brocc & zucs picture

Getting lots of zucs, went fishing & when i finally got time to check on the garden I had to pick a few.
    7" broccoli heads, big cauliflower, 2 kinds of zucs, regular & jade pearl (cross or some hybrid round ones)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Them's some good lookin' veggies ya got goin on there. What's that gold colored thing just to the left of the tape measure, and how exactly did ya grow it. We just got back from Soldotna a couple days ago, and I think we experienced the same thing you did, it seemed like the garden just exploded over the week that we were gone. We've been eating fresh picked brocc and cauli every night since being back.

LOL
    They hide under the broccoli on hot days. Usually show up around 4 PM. They grow wild in some places.

Good summer so far, Garden doing well;; we earned it after last summer!

Interesting. My broccoli are forming heads - about golf ball sized now - but nothing yet on my cauliflower. I'll be gone for the first week of August, and I imagine that that's when they'll come into their prime. As for my zucs, I had complete failure for my second year in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Getting lots of zucs, went fishing & when i finally got time to check on the garden I had to pick a few.
    7" broccoli heads, big cauliflower, 2 kinds of zucs, regular & jade pearl (cross or some hybrid round ones)
    MudBuddy
    do you grow your Zuc's in a raised bed or do you plant them in some of your inverted tires...??? I've never grown Zuc's but have been thinking I might give it a try... John

The 3 Jade pearl round ones are in an 8' raised bed, the 4 regular ones are in tires.
    They grow in about a 4' circle so they need lots of room.
    I planted 2 seeds in the 6" pots somewhere around the end of April in the GH, so most are
    double plants & seem to be doing fine.
    2 of each would lots of zucs, I just hate to not use the plants I start, so I planted to many in the garden & now have many more than I can use. This year has been a good one & they are producing like crazy.
    Stop by if you need some zucs, I may be composting some of them, neighbors are zucchini'd out too.
    But you have to pick them or you don't get new females.

The 3 Jade pearl round ones are in an 8' raised bed, the 4 regular ones are in tires.
    They grow in about a 4' circle so they need lots of room.
    I planted 2 seeds in the 6" pots somewhere around the end of April in the GH, so most are
    double plants & seem to be doing fine.
    2 of each would lots of zucs, I just hate to not use the plants I start, so I planted to many in the garden & now have many more than I can use. This year has been a good one & they are producing like crazy.
    Stop by if you need some zucs, I may be composting some of them, neighbors are zucchini'd out too.
    But you have to pick them or you don't get new females.
    Thanks... I'm going to re-organize my garden this fall and try to work in a spot for Zuc's...

mudbuddy, can I have some seeds for the gold ones?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    mudbuddy, can I have some seeds for the gold ones?
    I only had one seed, it grew 2 six packs. They were all males, no seeds. I'm gonna miss not growing them.

My 2 cucumber plants seem to be doing quite well... we are averaging 1 long cuc every other day.... but.... the cucmbers they are producing are long and skinny... At first I thought if I leave them on the vine a little longer they'd get fatter, but instead they just get longer... Today I picked a 13" cuc.... I wonder if I gave them too much Miracle Grow...??? Too much water...?? any ideas...???

What type of cucumber plant.
    My guess is, the type is a long one, after it gets to it's "genetic" length, it might start getting fatter.

What type of cucumber plant.
    My guess is, the type is a long one, after it gets to it's "genetic" length, it might start getting fatter.
    The cuc's are "Burpless" started by P&M... The little tab says they are ready for picking at 8 to 10 inches...
    The longest to date has been 13"... That one I thought to leave on the vine longer and let it fatten up, instead it just kept on growing longer... It's really no big deal, they are very good tasting.. We've been picking one or two a day..