Thread: Anchor Point Launching ?

Default Anchor Point Launching ?

Rumor has it the natives will not be launching this year. State has it up for bid. Any one know anything on this?

No but our family has already booked our reservations at Kyllonen's

Marine Services will not be operating the Anchor Point launch this year, just the Deep Creek launch like they have for years. Whether they're a native owned company or not, I have no idea.

From DNR's web page:

Anchor River Tractor Launch- Notice of Intent to Award - Competitive Permit for Commercial Activities

Alaska State Parks gives notice of the State's intent to award a Permit for Tractor Launch Services at Anchor River State Recreation Area near Anchor Point to Paul Warner.

Default New to the tractor launch, any advice

Anyone have any advice on how to launch/recover from the tractors at deep creek?

Charterboat Operator

Default launching

Quote Originally Posted by alaskariverguy View Post
    Anyone have any advice on how to launch/recover from the tractors at deep creek?
    make sure your motor will start, the tractors will do the rest on the depart. when returning, drive her onto the trailer then pull the power. the tides and the waves mess with many, just remember the throttle is your friend.

Also, Anchor point WILL be up and running this season guys, we will probably even see some real familiar faces

I want to give it a try, but the price is out of control.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Watch the waves lapping over the back seat of your Suburban one time and it'll look cheap!

Thumbs down

I agree with Alaska Grey, the price for us small guys is way out of control. Frankly, I am glad the people from Ninilchik has not returned to Anchor Point! They are rip off artist and only interested in serving the charters. When I complained about the price $45 in and out one time their response was kiss our a## you will be back because we are the only game in town! That's why I now go to PWS.

As far as launching. You can launch down near the end where everyone camps into the river, then go out to the inlet. You can launch 2 hours before high tide and then return on the next high tide, but no later than 11/2 to 2 hours after slack. Water runs out very quickly. Don't risk trying to launch from the beach because you will get stuck and your truck will become whale bait!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

$45 seems steep but the up keep on those tractors and has to be high, not to mention the ease of putting in an taking out. I will pay it and be glad to do it. Those guys aren't getting rich, thats for sure. The have always been very helpful to me and put up with a guy that only does it 2 or 3 times a year. That being said I will be glad to have a new operation down there, hopefully the guys that did it before the Deep Creek guy moved in. The charter guys had trouble with him not launching even when the weather was good.
    Right now, I just can't wait to get on any water!!!

There is a difference between a far price and being ripped off. I have operated tractors and the $45 plus $5 to the state for parking is more than just operational costs, its called "gouging!" The tractors were reasonable in 2002, then they jacked their prices up for the charters. I love fishing off of anchor point, but with the land dispute and the price of launching, No thanks, I will take my hard-earned money to someone who is "honest" and willing to give the little guy a break.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Gouging

Having lived on a farm, I know the upkeep on a tractor is big and running one through the salt every day has to make it even worse. Without knowing the operating costs they have I'm not sure I would call it gouging. But they have to figure out what the public can stand and charge that price. I agree it seems steep and I can only afford to do it a couple of times a year but that is what the free market system is all about.

Maybe we should get together on the forum and buy our own launch site that we can operate.....I'll supply the beer.

Hey I am with Duece. And I will be the first to volunteer to help run that equipment(the beer that is)

C.F.

Default I know this is an old thread but

I found this thread reading back through the list.

It seemed to have 2 questions first how to go about it (tractor launching) and the cost.

This season it cost $65 for one launch and take out. That's pretty steep. I've only used this launch a few times because our cabin, where we leave our boat for much of the season, is literally 3 minutes from the launch. Towing to the Homer Small Boat Harbor takes about 40 minutes plus launch time. Then it's another 1 + hr to motor back up into the Anchor Point / Deep Creek vicinity. Then of course reverse all those times to get back to the cabin so easily 4 hours total. Also the fuel to tow to the HSBH, say 2 gal each way, then another 6 + gal each way by boat. Depending on the cost of fuel it's probaly cost effective to use the tractors. Ultimately the tipping factor is the time required to go from our cabin to about 5 miles out in front of it and back again (not counting fishing time which would be the same either way). Obviously if our destination is anywhere other than out in that area we just tow to Homer because the time and cost of using the tractor to get down into the Katchemak area works against us.

As for using the launch, as one guy said the throttle is your friend. As long as your motor is trust worthy getting launched is no big deal even if it's a little rough. You'll be getting off the trailer in about 5' of water or so. As soon as you start entering the water start lowering your motor and start it (even if it's not all the way down as long as your intake is underwater). Power back and if there are waves get turned as quickly as you can, then you're on your way. You may have to go a little ways with your motor not down as far as usual but that will only be a minute or so. Getting back in is the trick.

Your trailer has to have good, high, sturdy, side rails at least. This gives you a visible chute to shoot for. Actually if you don't have side rails they wont launch you. If it's calm you power onto the trailer the guy grabs your strap, connects and winches up tight and out you go. If it's rough then it takes experience to time it so that you arrive on the trailer on a wave. The water will drop from under you and hopefully the trailer is moving before the next wave shoves the boat around. Wind and angle of tide can be buggars as it can (as it did to me once) lift you at the last second and put you on top of your trailer's side rail. Which left a gouge in my chine, easily fixed but just the same its a drag. After a couple trips I decided I won't do it anymore until I get some of those big roller posts welded at the end of my trailer. These will hopefully prevent us from being pushed over the top of the side rail. I haven't got around to that yet.