Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reports from the Kenai

Default Reports from the Kenai

Any new Dipnetting reports from the Kenai or Kasilof...since Friday? I am heading down for Sunday (7/24) through Tuesday (7/26) and am wondering if folks are having success and where. Any replies are appreciated!

Just talked to my fishin' bro who got back this am to Wasilla. Fished the mouth on the North shore yesterday. Caught 70. Said the best he's ever done.

~tr

Fished Friday from 1:30-8:30 PM; the wife and I got 30. That's enough for us, so we headed home. The afternoon dropping tide was decent, but the evening rising tide was very slow. We left at 9. I thought there wasn't a commercial opener Friday, but saw a lot of drifters coming in at 7:30 PM.

The road shut down had us pinned at Skilak overnight; very sorry to hear of the fatal consequences of rushing to pass.

Fishing was hot yesterday! I don't think I've ever seen fishing like this during my lifetime. We took four limits from the boat. Return trip last night was a nightmare. Had planned to be home by 12:00AM but ended up camping at Hidden Lake due to highway closure. God bless their souls. Got home at 9:30 this morning.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I'm heading down tomorrow (Sunday), too, to depart for home on Tuesday morning. We will be camping on the beach. Arriving around 5:00PM (hoping to avoid the bulk of the traffic), should we be looking for a spot on the South shore or North Shore. It's been a couple years since I was down for dipnetting.

Sitting on the beach on the kenai. Fished the last 30 hours of and on with about 50 fish. I don't get back into service after a fish as fast as some so I'm just grinding out the numbers I need.

I'm fishing just after the coming 1:51 am high tide. The hours after high tide have been hopping. Still good fishing down here.

Talked to the Whop.

Last night 50. This morning 40. Running out of cooler space. Please assist.

~tr

Fished the north beach last night from 8 to 1130. 2 nets. 42 fish. Pretty steady.

Default unbelievable

Was there friday till saturday early morning. Came home with 356 fish. Between 7 guys i was dipping with we manage to fill up 3 pickup trucks. I would say its pretty hot out there!

So it's still going on on the North side of the mouth? How far are folks having to walk, or are they letting everyone drive on the beach?

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by hunter530 View Post
    Was there friday till saturday early morning. Came home with 356 fish. Between 7 guys i was dipping with we manage to fill up 3 pickup trucks. I would say its pretty hot out there!
    Holy smokes...I thought 55 was a lot of work to haul, clean, and process......

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    So it's still going on on the North side of the mouth? How far are folks having to walk, or are they letting everyone drive on the beach?

Mountaintrekker
    When you drive down Spruce Street and hit the pay shack, you may drive straight out onto the beach and drive down the beach to the RIGHT only, headed north, away from the mouth of the river. There is an access road to the LEFT, just before you drive right onto the beach, where you can drive down and drop of people and/or gear, and then come back and park. I would guess that there will be one more big push of Anchorage and Valle Pukers coming down this weekend, and when it's really busy, Kenai's Finest sit down there and keep peopel moving in and out pretty good. Just be patient and courteous with others. There's plenty of fish for everyone. (Minus the 115 already in my freezer, jars, and belly.)

Default Get a few fish

With a lot of hard work most dippers should get a few fish if their luck is good.

Even with the apparent high numbers dippers should realize that very few dippers don't go down to the beach and return with truck loades of fish for a few hours work. Fishermen are know to eggagerate just a tiny little bit and a lot of the big catches were from boats. (I also question the fish count this year but that is another subject.) The ADN always plays the sucess up - just like other fishing- for the benefit of their advertisers but that is well known.

I went down Wed. night last week and couldn't find anyone that had caught a single fish that afternoon. I fished the next morning and saw perhaps a dozen fish caught amoung all the people on the north beach. I left that morning; my buddy - a hard core dip netter - stayed all day and caught a total of 4! He stayed over and fished Fri. and got did get 20 dipping all day.

Went back down this Wed. afternoon and again caught nothing that afternoon. I fished the outgoing tide yesterday and managed to get 16 reds plus 2 flounder. Fishing most of the the incoming tide yesterday got me another red (my buddy got 5) and fishing the outgoing tide got me 3 more red although another friend and his son got 9.

Even with my sucess I saw people standing around me that got nothing - I haven't a clue why as they didn't net anything since they were using the proper nets etc.

Bottom line - plan on staying a few days and work really hard and you should get some fish. If you are planning on shooting down for the day fishing the beach and coming back with your limit you will most likely be disappointed -regardless of what the ADN and some on this forum would lead you to believe.

If you really want fish - buy a boat.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    With a lot of hard work most dippers should get a few fish if their luck is good.

Even with the apparent high numbers dippers should realize that very few dippers don't go down to the beach and return with truck loades of fish for a few hours work. Fishermen are know to eggagerate just a tiny little bit and a lot of the big catches were from boats. (I also question the fish count this year but that is another subject.) The ADN always plays the sucess up - just like other fishing- for the benefit of their advertisers but that is well known.

I went down Wed. night last week and couldn't find anyone that had caught a single fish that afternoon. I fished the next morning and saw perhaps a dozen fish caught amoung all the people on the north beach. I left that morning; my buddy - a hard core dip netter - stayed all day and caught a total of 4! He stayed over and fished Fri. and got did get 20 dipping all day.

Went back down this Wed. afternoon and again caught nothing that afternoon. I fished the outgoing tide yesterday and managed to get 16 reds plus 2 flounder. Fishing most of the the incoming tide yesterday got me another red (my buddy got 5) and fishing the outgoing tide got me 3 more red although another friend and his son got 9.

Even with my sucess I saw people standing around me that got nothing - I haven't a clue why as they didn't net anything since they were using the proper nets etc.

Bottom line - plan on staying a few days and work really hard and you should get some fish. If you are planning on shooting down for the day fishing the beach and coming back with your limit you will most likely be disappointed -regardless of what the ADN and some on this forum would lead you to believe.

If you really want fish - buy a boat.
    Had friends go down and fish Monday night-Tuesday morning. Using one net, borrowed from me, they got 31 fish.

The bottom line is that the commercial boys have been at it hard, the run IS tapering off, and there is a good bit of luck involved on hitting big-number tides.

I'll agree that a boat helps improve chances a lot, though. This was my first year on a boat and we hit one of the best single tides. Less than a day of fishing and we got 165 fish, about a third of which came in a 1 1/2 hour period where fishing was phenomenal.

Default Let's hear from the people who don't have their freezers full

Stumbled across this article in the Anchorage daily propoganda: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ed-salmon-runs

Towards the end it reflects on one woman's observation and experience - seems like others saw some of the same catch rates that I have seen and experience.

Since the catch is so good this year and the comm guys are taking fish while ordinary citizens don't have the opprotunity to catch any - how about a special windfall tax on the comm guys payable in fish to be distributed at cut-rate prices to the unsucessfull, poor and unfortuante? If we can tax the oil compnaies when they get a lucky break with prices we should be able to tax the comm fishermen also.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Stumbled across this article in the Anchorage.... If we can tax the oil compnaies when they get a lucky break with prices we should be able to tax the comm fishermen also.
    As one who sees first hand the effects of the windfall tax on the oil companies I hope that was made "tongue in cheek". I can promise the negative effects from such a tax would far outweigh the positives. Not wanting really to start a debate about it but ADN does a pretty good job at only seeing the effects they want to see.

Fished south beach side last night and today (7-30, Saturday) for a quick run. Friday night outgoing tide in the evening we landed 2 between 8:30-10pm, otherwise it was quiet. On Saturday, fishing was decent from around 7am to 9 am on the outgoing tide and landed about 3-4 per hour (2 of us got 8 fish from 7-9 am). After about 10 am it was dead till noon and we bailed out to get back in town and to our hand with a rod and reel on the way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Not wanting really to start a debate about it but ADN does a pretty good job at only seeing the effects they want to see.
    WHo said anything about the ADN?

Stumbled across this article in the Anchorage daily propoganda: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ed-salmon-runs

Towards the end it reflects on one woman's observation and experience - seems like others saw some of the same catch rates that I have seen and experience.

Since the catch is so good this year and the comm guys are taking fish while ordinary citizens don't have the opprotunity to catch any - how about a special windfall tax on the comm guys payable in fish to be distributed at cut-rate prices to the unsucessfull, poor and unfortuante? If we can tax the oil compnaies when they get a lucky break with prices we should be able to tax the comm fishermen also.
    I may have to put you on my very special list of whiners to ignore. Congratulations! I moved one of the lesser whiners that doesn't annoy me so bad to make room for you at the top. Next time you snivel about not having a full freezer boohoo check out this thread
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...on-the-Kasilof These guys didn't have a problem catching. Any idiot that couldn't get their fill of sockeyes this year need to change there diets cause they don't deserve em. You've lost all credibility on here pal, only you and nancy pellossi want to raise taxes on people. Hey BTW before I officially ignore you why is it you're so jealous of gillnetters praytell? Was there some infidelities issues w/ your spouse? Thats usually what it is..

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Default Lightened up!

Lightened up and bit and don't be so serious!

My thing on the taxes was meant to be sarcastic - reflecting on the current mood in Washington and Juneau. I'd cut all the txes to be bone if I had my way and let people work if they wanted to eat. The oil companies are being taxed out of existance in Alaska - if you think your fule prices are high now wait until they have to import fuel.

At the same time I do get a bit irrated at all the news play about easy it is to dipnet and catch fish this year. Five people from our office went down at various times and the most anyone got was 18 - and that was me. I think the news media does a great dis-service in overstating the chances of catching fish so there advertisers can sell various things. But that is the news media - it isn't your fault.

And I don't worry about my wife running off with gillnetter - she will hardly have anything to do with me when I've been fishing

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I may have to put you on my very special list of whiners to ignore. Congratulations! I moved one of the lesser whiners that doesn't annoy me so bad to make room for you at the top. Next time you snivel about not having a full freezer boohoo check out this thread
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...on-the-Kasilof These guys didn't have a problem catching. Any idiot that couldn't get their fill of sockeyes this year need to change there diets cause they don't deserve em. You've lost all credibility on here pal, only you and nancy pellossi want to raise taxes on people. Hey BTW before I officially ignore you why is it you're so jealous of gillnetters praytell? Was there some infidelities issues w/ your spouse? Thats usually what it is..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast