Thread: Your first shot distance, again

Smile Your first shot distance, again

For about 3 or 4 years I have asked you what your distance from the animal was when you fired your first shot. The average distance has been about 160 to 180 yards. Now a few of these shots were "way out there" and a bunch were under 100 yards, I'm just going by the average distance posters provided. Since most of Alaska's big game animals are large by North American standards it does reveal some interesting facts, based on the info the posters provided. A small sized light weight 4 power scope will easily handle the shots and a 200 yard zero is very practical and reasonable for Alaska. It also shows why a caliber like the 30-06 is so popular and effective. I doubt this will change any ones thoughts though. Some will continue to carry big scopes on their rifles and zero the rifle for the possible "way out there shot", in an effort to use the "maximum point blank range". Many will still want the "flattest shooting", hard hitting calibers available", just in case. Many of us will continue to shoot a caliber and bullet weight that we feel offers the best balance for what we may have to do instead of what we usually do. When I came to Alaska in 1965 most of the rifles I saw being used were chambered in .270 Win. or 30-06 caliber. Some of the old guides hunting the coastal brown bears also had the .375 H&H with a receiver sight and most of the .270's and 30-06's wore a 4 power Weaver or Redfield or similar scope. No, I'm not ready to hang up my Mod. 70 .338 Win. Mag. with the 2.5 x 8 Leupold on it. I may need it, just in case, but it does make me wonder why my old Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 sits in the gun safe so often.

I'm like you .338, I have a Win Model 70 in .30-06 with a Leupold 3.5-10x scope on it, bagged several caribou with it before getting a Ruger Model 77 in .338 Win Mag with a Bushnell 1.5-6x scope on it. Now I always bring the .338 and the 06 stays at home, partly because I love the .338 and partly because even tho its a factory rifle, it feels like it was built for me.

So far with my .338 the first shot distances have been wolf 125 yards, moose 225 yards, and caribou 300 yards. I like to get close when I can, but the moose wouldn't come closer and the caribou was leaving the area, so I dropped them at those distances.

I usually set my zero at 1 1/2 in hight at 100yds puts me right on just past 300 yds with a .300 win mag shootin 150grn. but that keeps it pretty practical for the shorter shots whiele keeping me set up for the longer shots that I know I am prepared to take. there are alot of changing factors though. Like when I go for Grizz I will probably look at a 200grn bullet and then see where I want it to keep it practical for short range and longer ranges
    last three kills whitetail-150yds, antelope-375yds, caribou-250yds
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

longest shot on a animal with my 32 special was a squirrel at125 yards. I've gotten to be quite a hand at "barking" animals such as squirrels and grouse with it. Just gotta know your gun. First moose was 22 long steps. dad shot a bear at 34 long steps and grandpa shot a butt ton of deer at 15-150 yards.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Caribou last winter at about 300 give or take a couple steps, one shot with my custom Ruger 77 in 35Whelen pushing a 180 Speer at 2800 and change. Black bear this spring at exactly 300 lasered yds. One poke right through the noggin with a borrowed 300 WSM shooting 180 Speer Grandslams. I agree with the normal calibered rifle and medium to low powered scope idea for up here. I've actually been hunting with a receiver sight equipped rifle a lot this spring. My Whelen wears a Leupold M8 fixed 2.5 and out of 3'animals from 125 to 300 yds I've felt perfectly comfortable so far.

When I first started hunting in Alaska, I carried a .308 with a 4X weaver scope. I shot everything from 20 to 50 yards. Then I got my first 30-06. I shot Moose and Caribou every year. All the Moose were 80 yards or less. The Caribou were 120 yards or less. Then I went to a .338 Win Mag. Nothing changed for Moose still 80 yards or less, Caribou I made longer shots, out to 300 yards.

Today I am an old man with heart problems. I can no longer walk through the woods, climb hills, wade streams, or run to head off an animal I spooked. I still carry a 30-06, but I also take a Weatherby in .338/378wby. The Weatherby has a 3.5X15X50 Night Force scope on it. We set up blinds and range the area with lazer range finders. I'm not going to mention our longest shots, but we are sighted in for 400 yards. Out to 600 yards we don't bother with dialing our scopes. One shot kills on everything except Grizzlies. Even tho the first shot is a killing shot, Grizzlies tend to not go right down. Sometimes one shot and they are down, but usually they turn and run. I keep shooting them till they go down. I don't like going into the willows after them.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Moose with 270 = 65 yards
    Moose with 338= 120 yards
    caribou with 338 = 225 yards
    Moose with 338 = 100 yards
    Moose with bow = 15 yards (if I was rifle hunting, I had a good crack at 80 yards)

270 and 338 both wore a 1.5x5 burris.

Nice post 338 mag...
    I think most of the "big game" hunters I knew in the 60's and 70's fit your "one gun" description well, and yes they did so mostly with low powered fixed scopes.
    For the most part it was the best they could afford, or was available them at that time. Next came a wage/job boom and a technology explosion that brought all kinds of new guns, calibers, and scopes to the marketplace, and as humans we seem to be easy prey for a new toy. Sure we added some range to our hunts, and we can turn the power settings up to glass, or ID an animal better. However, in the end, the old '06 with a 4X scope will still go toe to toe with about anything more modern with a skilled and ethical shooter at the trigger....
    I know if I had stuck with the "one gun" mindset I sure could have afforded a lot more trips when I think of all the guns that have lived in my gun safes!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My last two animals were with a 300 WM and 190gr bergers
    Deer-about 8 steps (hunting from a blind)
    Antelope - 312 yds (lasered)

moose, 340 wby.-200yds
    kodiak blacktail, 264 wm-about 250yds
    caribou, 7mm08-325yds
    wild pig,7mm08-90yds
    sheep, will find out in 2 weeks!...

Dad has a BIG chart that says all the balistics for most popular rifle calibers and bullet weights. I looked up my 30-06 in 180 grain for moose... and it said "maximum range" 5 yards, no joke. It was printed in the 60s or 70s lol.

Killed a ton of big game at 25 to 100 yards... first moose this year i hope