Thread: All 5 salmon

Default All 5 salmon

Is there a time of year were you have a decent chance at getting all five species of pacific salmon in a two week window? Trying to plan a trip for next year. I'm really torn on when to plan. I have always wanted to catch a big King, but my family is coming, so I figure the reds and pinks would be good action for the wife and kids. I figured right around now would be best for all 5. You have the tail end of kings, the peak of reds, and the start of chums and pinks? Maybe a few silvers showing up early?

thanks

changed my mind
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Last two weeks of July would be the most likely time.

Yep, late July it is. Target silvers in the saltwater for a nearly sure thing. Kings would have to be in the Kenai or in the saltwater for feeder (migratory, non-spawning kings). The reds, pinks, and chums should be relatively easy. I did it once in one day, though the king was accidentally hooked and was not allowed to be retained.

I have managed 4 in a day, but don't fish for kings much so that is probably the best I will ever manage.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Here is what I would do. Start the process on July 25th. I would hit the kenai for reds 1st. Then Kings while Im there with the Klutina as my back up. Then I'd swing through bird creek where I would fish silvers on every tide till I caught. Then while im there during the low tide I would target the very easy to see pinks. Walking up and down the creek you will find chums too. So really you can do it only visiting 2 rivers that are an hour and a half apart. You could actually do this in a day, maybe two.
    Some other options are; - Hope for pinks (and chums).
    - Little Sue for silvers, pinks, and Chums.

No I have never done this and probly never will. This is what I would do however if there were prize money for first to get all 5 or something like that.

Late July in Kodiak. I've done it twice with all five, though I wasn't seeking to do it...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL
    http://www.alaskanauthor.com
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I did it two summers ago. Hit bird and got silvers, pinks, and a chum. Then ran down the road to the Russian and got a couple reds. After that I drifted the kasilof and got my king. I believe it was on July 29 th.

Thanks guys. Is there a good book or dvd for roadside fishing?