Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Horrible dipnetters!

Default Horrible dipnetters!

Look at the photo taken on Tuesday. See the piles of trash, the mounds of fish carcasses everywhere, the wasted fish that have been caught and then thrown on the bank to rot. All the human feces all over the place and the rowdy rednecks from Anchorage destroying the place.

Yes, it is horrible. Just as the anti-dip netters have claimed...........NOT!!

2011-07-19 09.21.01.jpg
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    Look at the photo taken on Tuesday. See the piles of trash, the mounds of fish carcasses everywhere, the wasted fish that have been caught and then thrown on the bank to rot. All the human feces all over the place and the rowdy rednecks from Anchorage destroying the place.

2011-07-19 09.21.01.jpg
    Don't ruin their bias with the truth....

One picture from the Kasilof proves nothing except that you fond a good angle to take a picture of.
    Try a different angle or try rhe Kenai you will get a different picture.
    I have talked to landowners living next to the kasilof and they are fed up with the trash the human sh*t on their property and all the other tresspassing and atuff they have to deal with.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Come on man, you can take pictures from any "angle" and see the same civilized scene throughout the fishery.

I can't figure it out, but I talk to folks around town and people just have this vile, anti-dipnetting view that's been pushed on them to the point where they believe it without any personal experience. Ask them if they've actually been to the river and witnessed any of these imaginary "problems" that people speak of. Nope, they haven't, but they know this guy who heard from a self-proclaimed land owner next to the fishery. Bah! Check the borough land owner maps. Nobody has any private property next to either of the big-K dipnet zones except for the former state boat launch that was stolen by the native group and now serves the commerical fishery. And that's such a wonderfully maintained bit of commercial property right there, lmao.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Come on man, you can take pictures from any "angle" and see the same civilized scene throughout the fishery.

I can't figure it out, but I talk to folks around town and people just have this vile, anti-dipnetting view that's been pushed on them to the point where they believe it without any personal experience. Ask them if they've actually been to the river and witnessed any of these imaginary "problems" that people speak of. Nope, they haven't, but they know this guy who heard from a self-proclaimed land owner next to the fishery. Bah! Check the borough land owner maps. Nobody has any private property next to either of the big-K dipnet zones except for the former state boat launch that was stolen by the native group and now serves the commerical fishery. And that's such a wonderfully maintained bit of commercial property right there, lmao.
    Last year I actually talked to one of the landowners next to the Kasilof who was waiting for the same plane as I was headed to the slope.
    His story was he heard some commotion on the beach in front of his house and went to investigate.
    He apparently has large bundles of beetle kill cabled off to shore at the bottom of the bluff to protect his property from erosion.
    He looked down the bluff and a couple of dipnetters had apparently started cutting up his protective trees with a chainsaw. He asked them to stop and they told him to ***** off. He pulled back the edge of his coat revealing a large caliber handgun and they left grumbling. First hand story from a landowner in Kasilof!
    Here is one for you yeah it's from 2009 but it is still relavant.
    http://redoubtreporter.wordpress.com...ory-confusion/

There's no bluff adjacent to the fishery. So you'd have to go a mile up the beach to find any bluff front private property. If they were dipnetting a mile up the beach, then they were illegal. So, maybe these 2 slobs had gone dipnetting before, but they were outside of the fishery and acting illegally at the time that they were destroying someone's personal property. How does he know they were dipnetters? Anyhow, he should have called the troopers. Brandishing a firearm is illegal, too. In fact, his act was a little more illegal than theirs.

Hmm, I wonder how many of the dipnetters didn't participate in illegal activities?

I know of a case where a commerical fisherman illegally shot and killed a seal. If I use the anti-dipnetter prejudice, that means that all commerical fishermen are seal killers and we ought to shut down commerical fishing to stop that other illegal activity.

I know of a commercial river guide who broke a whole list of fishing rules. Same thing, let's shut down all guiding so that doesn't happen.

I know a sport fisherman who snagged a red, but kept it anyway. Well, we better shut down all sport fishing to punish the masses for that one guy.

Where would you like to draw this line?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    One picture from the Kasilof proves nothing except that you fond a good angle to take a picture of.
    Try a different angle or try rhe Kenai you will get a different picture.
    I have talked to landowners living next to the kasilof and they are fed up with the trash the human sh*t on their property and all the other tresspassing and atuff they have to deal with.
    You will find the same scene all over the beach down there. No special angle was required. The nearest home to the dipnetting area is probably a mile away and it is not on the bluff. The bluff is even farther away than that.

Attachment 51026

You will find the same scene all over the beach down there. No special angle was required. The nearest home to the dipnetting area is probably a mile away and it is not on the bluff. The bluff is even farther away than that.
    I dipnet the South side of Kasilof every year. While it may not be "private property," we don't go out into the dunes or grass PERIOD. Not because of any rules, but because of the piles of feces and toilet paper all over the place. The wind shifted when I was down there and OMG, you would have thought there was an open sewer back there. We bring a 5 gallon bucket with a seat on it and a tent. We pack out more than we pack in. I make sure our fire is OUT before I leave. I don't party hardy, get lit, burn 5 pallets at once and then wonder why the plastic crate that was 15ft from the fire melted, because it was unattended while someone was firing off fireworks. I don't run over peoples nets or run into full coolers with a four wheeler.

My point being, there is some credence to the complaints. Is it a TOTAL disaster area, no. But, it sure isn't far from it at times.

AK Chappy

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Chappy View Post

My point being, there is some credence to the complaints. Is it a TOTAL disaster area, no. But, it sure isn't far from it at times.

AK Chappy
    I would agree. There are some goons out there that give dippers a bad rap, but I would argue that they are the exception rather than the rule.

We hear the same thing every year about Ship Creek in Anchorage. People talk about trash, drunks, and other stuff, but when you go down there you are hard pressed to see such things. I am sure there are things that happen, but they are the exception rather than the rule. It is the continued reporting of one or two incidents that give folks the image that it is common place.

2011-07-19 09.21.01.jpg
    Too many people for me! God please give us another Alaska and let me get there first.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Too many people for me! God please give us another Alaska and let me get there first.
    Plenty of room up here still, just need to get off the road system.

I am not drawing any lines. I just wish some people could man up and admit there are issues with dipnetters and it isn't just 1 or 2 of them .
    There is some illegal dipnetting going on and they catch some every year. There are some areas that get trashed every year and usually someone like the kids in the newspaper clean it up.
    There is some waste going on and it isn't just a fillet or two from 3 or 4 people.
    Dipnetting is not some utopian fishery.
    My first year up here my boss at the cannery would go out and pick up all kinds of good stuff people left behind including tents sleeping bags and other forgotten gear let alone the trash.
    It seems the beaches have gotten cleaner in the last few years but I am not sure if the dippers are being more responsible or if the locals are getting together to clean it up.
    As for the guy on the bluff he claimed they rode 4 wheelers down the beach to get to his place and started cutting his logs up.
    Yeah they could have come from anywhere but he was positive they were dipnetters cruising the beach for firewood probably based on witch direction they came from etc.. I am sure near the end of dipnet season there isn't much driftwood anywhere near the river mouth and they get to scrounging farther and farther away.
    It didn't sound like he even pulled his gun just made it visible in the holster from under his coat. I guess a gust of wind may have done the same thing.
    I guess since the campfire was neccessary for their survival he should have let them cut up his logs and gotten new ones cause we all know those with bluff property owners are rich and dippers are poor. Are you really saying it is justifiable to cut up bluff protection logs off of the edge of someones private property? Maybe I should take my boat down the Kenai cutting the logs cabled off to shore for firewood and see where that gets me?
    There are multiple reports every year from landowners in Kasilof with property anywhere near the beach.This is the only first hand story I have from a landowner personally talking to me.
    Maybe they arent crapping on the edge of peoples lawns anymore or leaving junk behind or setting their tents up behind locked gates and fences. I don't know it might have changed this year for the better.Let us hope so.

So your land owner who lives "next" to the Kasilof actually lives well over a mile away, probably two seeing as how the bluffs are no where near the mouth of the river.

He dealt with two guys on wheelers out of the thousands who fish the Kasilof every year. What is the percentage we are talking about?

And you admit that you have not been down there this season. When was the last time you were down there? Last year? The year before? Or was it when you first got here and worked at the cannery?

Default An easy solution to all the dipnetting problems!

There is an easy solution to the dipnetting issue - simply "tax" the boats for a part of their catch and give it away to the urban residents that want and/or need the fish. The dipnetting could than be a limited lotttery system like hunting and everyone who wants fish would get fish. Urban residents have a history of eating fish also - it would be a customary and historical use.

Of course the comm guys would scream but why should they be exempt from having the rewards of their efforts taken from them and given to other less fortunate and less sucessfull in life? The urban residents are forced to substidize the rural residents - it is time someone gives up a break and allows us to share in the wealth of Alaska.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

So your land owner who lives "next" to the Kasilof actually lives well over a mile away, probably two seeing as how the bluffs are no where near the mouth of the river.

He dealt with two guys on wheelers out of the thousands who fish the Kasilof every year. What is the percentage we are talking about?

And you admit that you have not been down there this season. When was the last time you were down there? Last year? The year before? Or was it when you first got here and worked at the cannery?
    I just got back from N.Kasilof beach. It wasn't too bad. Some trash, on the beach (don't mean people), the trash cans were overflowing. Didn't check the porta-johns. I think the message is finally getting through that people can't just trash and leave, and they are picking up after themselves. Way cleaner than last year or previous years IMO.

I never dip Kenai from the shore, so don't know about those beaches. Might be better or worse or the same.

And yes, there are residents who live right next to N. Kasilof beach. If you haven't seen the no trespassing signs in the driveways right before you get down to where the old watchman's cabin used to be, then you must have blinders on.

Sayak, you're refering to people who live on the N access road. They are still well over a mile from the dipnetting area. The actual areas where dipnetting occurs at both K-rivers is on public lands.

Peer pressure from those of us who dipnet AND care about the impact is getting many people to clean up their act. I'm sure that a small group of dipnetters will get together after the season closes and have a full-fledged beach clean-up day like there was last year. By the 2nd weekend of August, no one will be able to tell that hundreds of thousands of people were tramping all over the beaches for a 3-week period in July.

KC, if you'll re-read my post, I clearly stated that the 2 knuckleheads who were cutting up the guy's personal property were breaking the law. I suggested the property owner should have called the Troopers. Not sure how you can possibly take that to mean that I endorse having you run down the Kenai river cutting all the logs cabled to the banks. That's the most illogical argument I've ever seen on these forums.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I just got back from N.Kasilof beach. It wasn't too bad. Some trash, on the beach (don't mean people), the trash cans were overflowing. Didn't check the porta-johns. I think the message is finally getting through that people can't just trash and leave, and they are picking up after themselves. Way cleaner than last year or previous years IMO.

I never dip Kenai from the shore, so don't know about those beaches. Might be better or worse or the same.

And yes, there are residents who live right next to N. Kasilof beach. If you haven't seen the no trespassing signs in the driveways right before you get down to where the old watchman's cabin used to be, then you must have blinders on.
    Glad to hear things are improving on the Kasilof beach.
    I used to go there every year for dipping but now we do the Kenai by boat and it is much more enjoyable being in the boat and not shoulder to shoulder on the shore.
    I usually get down there every year just to enjoy the view or just watch the action on the shore for a few minutes. I drive past there fairly regularly so it is easy to drive in for a few minutes and see whats going on.

If you think DipNetting can result in unpleasant sights, I suggest you never work in a Colonoscopy Clinic, or, for that matter, a Sausage factory.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

What does it matter how far away he lives? Property damage is property damage and if it was indeed dipnetters as he claimed then that's who it was a couple of dipnetters on atv's with a chainsaw and a bad attitude.
    I believe he said he lives about 1 mile away. The impression I got from him was that they were ignorant and didn't care that it was his property it sounded like had he waited for the troopers they would have gathered the wood they wanted and left before a trooper ever showed up. Then he would be stuck fixing his property again.
    I forget his name or I would look him up and he could tell you some stories about dipnetters I am sure.
    I work in a camp of over 1,200 people so forgive me if I I can't remember everyone whom I have met and talked to.
    A lot of local landowners have had issues of some kind with the dipnetters as referenced here: http://redoubtreporter.wordpress.com...ory-confusion/
    It might just be the traffic or parking isues but some have had them tresspass,crap in their yards etc. etc..
    Who knows what the percentage is you would have to talk to all dippers and then get them to answer honestly.
    All I know is problems from dippers definetly occur.
    Maybe I could hang a sign up with my phone number so they can call me when they tresspass and crap on a landowners property.
    I hope as Sayak mentioned that things are looking better there this year than in the past.
    I used to go there every year for dipping but now we do the Kenai by boat and it is much more enjoyable being in the boat and not shoulder to shoulder on the shore.
    I usually get down there every year just to enjoy the view or just watch the action on the shore for a few minutes. I drive past there fairly regularly so it is easy to drive in for a few minutes and see whats going on.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    What does it matter how far away he lives? Property damage is property damage
    Right, so let's say there's a guy who has dipnetted this week and then he breaks into a house up in Delta. That should be blamed on the dipnetting community as a whole as well, right? Cuz it doesn't matter how far away he goes to commit a crime, it's the fact that he participated in dipnetting at some point that counts.

Now I get it. Thanks for the clarification.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast