Thread: Scott Fly Rods (Dan) Help

Default Scott Fly Rods (Dan) Help

Looking for a new fly rod this year or 2.

9'6 6wt

Any suggestions.

Debating on multiple rods but am curious about Scott. Warranty, service and of course performance.

My Scott rods are my favorite. All are made in Colorado unlike other big companies like Winston that are now having some rods made over seas. Sage, Winston, and St Croix all make good rods and I own several of each. But the Scott rods are a cut above. Customer service and warranty are top shelf. As for performance, very subjective thing. Someone will enjoy a $120 TFO more than a $300-600 Scott, Sage, or Winston. I wish to heck I was one of them, but that ain't the case. If you like med/fast, the A3 is most bang for the buck in Scott line up. S4 and saltwater models are faster and a good bit more expensive. G2 is med action and suited to more delicate presentations. Just depends on what you are using them for. Either way, do test out any rod before buying. One man's trash is another man's treasure. And vice versa.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Scott makes a wonderful fly rod in fact if I am not mistaken if the blanks are not 100% spot on they go in a shred machine and never see the open market. Winston / Scott are both top quality and both would be a great choice. On a side note I picked up a fair amount of BVK's from TFO and they are also a very nice rod of course not made in the USA as the rods stated above but a reasonable value.

Oh I have never had a need to return a Scott fly rod so can't speak about the warranty.

Tight lines.

BMR

Orvis Hydros is on sale right now if interested. It is the same blank as the Helios, just with less expensive hardware. I just picked up a 10wt for $425 and weights 4 5/8 oz, light as they come. On the 8wt could lift up about 40-45 ft of line and cast it right back out. Warranty is spot on.
    Also agree with the Scott & St Croix rods, can't beat them. Send back for warranty & back in 3 weeks.

I've always wondered if owners of several better fly rods noticed much difference between similar price, similar design rods from different companies... for instance maybe the Scott S4 vs Sage (all made on Bainbridge Island, WA from start to finish) Xi2 or Z-Axis maybe?&nbsp; Dan?&nbsp; <br><br>As a rule, I've always thought that most $300 (or any other price) rods with similar flex characteristics and factory warranties would be expected to have small, mostly subjective differences as you say.&nbsp;&nbsp; Sounds like whatever the difference is, you might could pick out your Scott rods over a similar weight and flex...say, Sage rod -blindfolded?&nbsp; There might be intangible but real differences I think.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    My Scott rods are my favorite. All are made in Colorado unlike other big companies like Winston that are now having some rods made over seas. Sage, Winston, and St Croix all make good rods and I own several of each. But the Scott rods are a cut above. Customer service and warranty are top shelf. As for performance, very subjective thing. Someone will enjoy a $120 TFO more than a $300-600 Scott, Sage, or Winston. I wish to heck I was one of them, but that ain't the case. If you like med/fast, the A3 is most bang for the buck in Scott line up. S4 and saltwater models are faster and a good bit more expensive. G2 is med action and suited to more delicate presentations. Just depends on what you are using them for. Either way, do test out any rod before buying. One man's trash is another man's treasure. And vice versa.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    -Dan

Good points Dwight. I have tried some premium rods that I hated, St Croix legend elite is one. Sage XP is another. Rods I wanted to like, but for some reason or another (me likely) just couldn't cast well. Timing, personal style, etc.. what ever it is, some rods feel right, some don't. One thing to keep in mind when picking out a premium rod is to compare apples to apples. Wouldn't be fair to compare a $180 china made Winston against a $500 Scott or Sage. Pick a price range you are comfortable with and then see what 4-5 manufacturers have to offer in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    Looking for a new fly rod this year or 2.

9'6 6wt

Any suggestions.

I would compare...

Scott S4-slick fast action work horse of the Scott line up. I have some S3 and S3s (saltwater version) and they are the nicest rods I own. The newer S4 is worth checking out and will give you a good representation of what better Scott rods cast like.

St Croix Bank Robber- just got one a few months back and while I have yet to fish it, this thing is impressive. Also, my St Croix Legend Ultra is one of my favorite rods. Something about it is just "right". Good value for the money.

RL Winston- what ever model it is that G-Smolt raves about. Tempted to get one myself just to see what the fuss is about. I have three RL Winstons, but they are all 9 and 10 wt BL5 (five piece) models I use for salt water fly fishing here in NC. Would be a good Kobuk sheefish rod as well. I have yet to cast any 5-8 wt RL Winston rods.

Sage-others could suggest better than I. I am not a big fan of Sage rods aside from my custom made Dave McNeese 10 wt Xi2. The XP 10 wt I got as a back up lacks backbone for it's intended purpose (kings in AK and false albacore in Outer Banks of NC). I will be getting another Scott X2s (I have a 7 wt) and using it along with the Xi2 10 wt. Nothing wrong with Sage rods. Chuck and John have some new Sage rods they are enjoying. They have a great reputation and all. I just don't like the few I have used. Remember, one mans trash...

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan,

What are you using up here on the Kenai for Rainbows?

Right now I am using a Orvis Helios 10ft 7wt and really do like it. Need a couple more to the collection and my wife wants one now as well.

Two pronged attack, centerpin and fly rod

The fly rods are Scott A3 9.5' 7 wts with Lamson Velocity reels. I like the medium/fast action for fishing beads. Faster action doesn't add much when fishing beads in my opinion. I like to cast slower and smoother with the cumbersome indicator, split shot, bead, and 10+ foot of leader. I also have Scott X2s and St Croix Bankrobber (both in 9' 7 wt) that I will use for swinging leeches and casting flies. More backbone for longer cast, fast action, and such. Mostly bringing them this Sept because they are new and I want to fish them. I actually bought those two rods for remote floats in SW. They will be great for fishing mouse patterns and swinging big leeches with type III sink tips (my favorite fly fishing technique).

The Centerpin (float rods) are custom made 12.5' four piece Batson Rainshadow spey rod conversions with Islander Steelheader reels. Ken of K Kustom Rods in Anchorage made my wife a sweet float rod recently and I got a Kingpin reel for it at World Wide Angler a few months back. While some folks loathe float rods, I must admit they are far more effective for fishing beads. However, I enjoy fly fishing more so I will use my 7 wts a good bit this Sept. Especially from the raft. The float rods rule on land. Guess that is also a reflection of my mending skills with a fly rod.

Pic of the float rod Ken made my wife a few months back. Amazing stuff and I will have him making me some fly or float rods in the future.

http://www.k-kustomrods.com/

-Dan

All are very valid points D and D! Oh I like that :-) You know I have casted /fished Ash, Custom made Tokin Cane, Production Heddon cane, Production Southbend Cane, Eagle Claw with Garrison Tapers, Cortland, Sage, Scott, Loomis, Lamiglass, Winston,St Croix, Orvis, Sage, TFO, Eagle Claw Glass from the 70's even Diawia glass from the early 80's, as well as Fenwick, and some more off brand stuff such as Damon. I have built and fished rods with Batson, Damon, PacBay, St. Croix, and Forcast blanks.

Believe it or not my most favorite to fish with as always been a 8' 6" Cortland GFR1000 Medium Action 6W. Fished from King Salmon up through the Haul Rd. Nope won't hold a King or a big Silver on the Kenia but it lends to me casting style.

I am of the opinion it all comes down to personnel preference and of course casting styles. It is not to say one brand is far better than any other each have a plus / minus ratio.

Dan and Dwight provided you sound advise I can only state is don't become to much of a gear head like most of us K.I.S.S. is the best advise.

Have fun and best wishes with your quest.

Dan your officially a Fly Junkie! Enjoy the day!

Agree, 375ultramag, enjoy your quest.
    Tagging off of what Dan said, it seems trying a rod out your own self can be useful. And for the high dollar rods, the more time the better perhaps. Maybe it's more about finding one that matches your casting motion/mechanics. When I watch the casting motion of other fly fishers, the mechanics and tempo can be quite different. Beginning with lifting the line off the water, I have learned on fast action rods and find slower rods don't suit my tempo. I could change, but I like a quick pickup and laydown to redirect sometimes. Dan the Man aptly said, "Rods I wanted to like, but for some reason or another (me likely) just couldn't cast well".

I have two higher end rods - both gifts. One I'd tried several years ago and wondered, "what's the big deal?" compared to the TFOs I was fishing. When the "new, improved" version came out, and on the advice of 2 fly shop owners, I got one-(gift rod#2). When I took this rod out fishing back in June, I confess wondering, "What's the big deal?"

Like Moose's thought too - that we can make too much of gear. Good rods are probably good rods, with subtle differences that make them more or less a good fit with the way we each cast. Real enough, but subtle. I expect to find gift rod#2 works fine when I spend more time with it. That's how I learned to love the TFOs, working them to find fish when I had more days and all of them long - to figure stuff out.

Best of luck with your "quest".
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 07-24-2011 at 06:47. Reason: syntax

I'm one of those Sage guys.
    I have two old RPL's a 9' 4wt and a 10' 5wt that are great trout rods. They both have lotsof power for their line ratings (I use my 9' 4wt for bows on the Kenai and haven't felt out gunned at all). I also have 2 Xi series saltwater rods a 7wt and 9wt. I use my 7wt in AK for Kenai silvers and it casts heavy dolly's with ease and has plenty of power to bring in big chrome silvers. It could be a good dolly/rainbow/red stick as well. In fact I would say it would be fine for all but the fastest water and kings. As close to an all around stick as you could get. IMO.

FYI,

Scott A3 6 wt 9 ft rod (Brand new) is on sale for $234 ($100 off) on Ebay from an authorized Scott dealer. This is the most affordable new Scott rod you will find. Thought I would share here in case anyone is interested. The same shop has many other rod weights as well for same price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scott-A3-906-4-F...item43a880b81b
    Seller info

Item number: 290589816859

Scott A3 906/4 Fly Rod NEW! 30% OFF

Member id silvercreekoutfitterssunvalley ( Feedback Score Of 1277)

From Scott Fly Rods site (dealer search for Idaho)....

Silver Creek Outfitters 500 N. Main St.
    Ketchum,ID
    208 726 5282
    info@silver-creek.com
    http://www.silver-creek.com/

Definately no expert, but I got a Sage VT2 last year in 8wt. and that thing feels like it casts itself. I also picked up a Scott A3 10' in 6 weight, and it casts great too. The main difference is that with the Scott, I have to cast it like I am mad at it. Just the way it feels to me--have to be a bit more aggressive with that rod. It is a great stick do far, just a slight change to my cast.

Of course, I come from the Pat McManus school of casting "little old lady trying to swat a bee with a broomstick" is my look.