Thread: New atv owner in anchorage

Default New atv owner in anchorage

So I left florida and sold my foreman and wanted another ever since so today I bought one. 09 foreman 500 with meat hauler(small aluminum utility trailer?) and utility trailer to carry it all on. ATV has 500 miles on it newish itp mud lites( i prefer 589's) and a warn winch.

three of my favorite toys together the other is taking the photo.
    truckdogatv.jpg

SO now that I own this thing where can I ride it? any one want to ride? Id prefer to take it easy at first to make sure this this thing is as solid as i think it is before I go back to beating it.

wow what a busy place

Maybe in china where the other 2 (minus the picture taker) were made.

Quote Originally Posted by ggoodman View Post

SO now that I own this thing where can I ride it? any one want to ride? Id prefer to take it easy at first to make sure this this thing is as solid as i think it is before I go back to beating it.
    There are many places to ride. A lot of people do trip reports right here on this forum, but if you are looking for trails check out the Alaska ATV clubs website- they have a list of most of the ATV trails in our area with GPS coordinates to the parking lot and trail reports. The Alaska ATV club also does group outings which might be a good way to meet like-minded folks. Additionally, many people here can tell you more on specific trails and would probably be willing to meet up for a ride. Just off the top of my head, I can think of these trails North of Anchorage all open to ATV's - all of the below trails are within a 2 hour drive with many being closer. The difficulty assessments are my own and other people will probably disagree on some of them:
    -Ekutna Lake- easy- open only on some days to ATV's (not sure which days, check their web site)
    -KRPUA/Jim Creek- easy to moderate depending on trail
    -B29 Trail (I haven't done this one, not sure on conditions)
    -Shirleytowne Road in Hatchers Pass- moderate difficulty due to swampy conditions
    -Purches Creek Trail in Hatchers Pass- moderate difficulty due to some steep hills/rocks/swamps but most of the trail is easy
    -Craggy Creek trail in Hatchers Pass- Easy to moderate, trail is rocky but nothing too steep.
    -Petersville Road -(haven't done this one)
    -Buffalo Mine - Easy
    -Jonesville Mine - Easy to difficult depending on trail
    -Kings River - Moderate
    -Permanente Trail - Mostly easy with one section of off camber trail and some boulders
    -Purinton/Boulder Creek Trail - Technically easy to moderate, but the terrain is hard on the body.
    -Pinochle/Hicks Creek Trail - Technically moderate to difficult, terrain very hard on the body.
    -Beringer Pass - Easy to moderate
    -Eureka - Easy to difficult depending on trail chosen

Check out the Alaska ATV Clubs website: http://alaskaatvclub.org/smfforum/index.php
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thanks for the information,
    Honda is made in Japan, thanks for the input Don.

Hey, Dee. Are you an atv club member? Do they do group rides, etc... like the snowmachine club? Where do you park to ride at Buffalo Mine Road? When I went there it was heinously steep and hard to get up the trail. I parked close to the end where there was a gate.

ggoodman, too bad I just saw your post. I was out and about riding by myself from July 27-Aug. 3 between Eureka and the Denali Highway. I'm new to atvs having upgraded from a '84 Big Red to a 6x6. Didn't ride the Big Red much as the only suspension it had was my knees and back.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Hey, Dee. Are you an atv club member? Do they do group rides, etc... like the snowmachine club? Where do you park to ride at Buffalo Mine Road? When I went there it was heinously steep and hard to get up the trail. I parked close to the end where there was a gate.
    I must sheepishly admit I am not an ATV club member. I am registered at their web site, and I've always had good intentions of joining but haven't gotten around to it. We've got a pretty broad circle of riding partners and never lack for people to ride with. But I wish I'd known about them back when we started and knew no one else that liked to ride. They do group rides, yes. We've seen them out on the rides we've done several times.

For Buffalo Mine, we park at Jonesville Mine's parking lot and take a trail that cuts over to the west right out the parking lot. That takes you straight to the Buffalo Mine trail system.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Doesn't sound like I was in the right area. I went to the end of Buffalo Mine Road and it was just a nasty steep hill. How far from the highway is the Jonesville road parking lot? I think I know where Jonesville Road is in Sutton.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ggoodman View Post
    Thanks for the information,
    Honda is made in Japan, thanks for the input Don.
    Hmm might want to read
    thishttp://www.motorcycle-usa.com/814/9968/Motorcycle-Article/Timmonsville-Honda-ATV-Plant-Tour.aspx
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Doesn't sound like I was in the right area. I went to the end of Buffalo Mine Road and it was just a nasty steep hill. How far from the highway is the Jonesville road parking lot? I think I know where Jonesville Road is in Sutton.

Tim
    I know there is another, small parking lot just to access Buffalo Mine, but it's not the only way to access it. In Sutton, you turn just past Eska Creek onto Jonesville Mine Road (across the street from the volunteer fire department, next to the little grocery store). Not sure how far up it is, but not far- there are two left turns that will both take you to the very large parking area for Jonesville mine, so if you miss the first one take the second one. If you pass both turnoffs the road will narrow considerably and you get up into the private property residential area and there's only a couple spots you could park back there and they are usually taken. Once parked, you sort of poke your way around to the west, you'll see a trail that heads to the west that passes a small pond (man-made) and then some sand dunes - the trail is wide and in good condition. It'll head west for a while and then there are turns to the North that access the Buffalo mine trails. If you make it to the road, you went too far.