Thread: How often check impeller?

Default How often check impeller?

How often do you check the water pump impeller in a outboard?Any signs from the tattle tail water tube?

They say they should be replaced every 3-5 years.
    I do mine every 5 years. It only takes an hour or so and is pretty inexpensive.
    Depending on the size of the engine you might need a little help reinstalling the lower unit as they can be quite heavy on the larger engines. I can do it by myself on my 90 hp Merc but is a little bit of a chore.
    You might want to get a repair manual to walk you through the removall and reinstallation process as well.

It is a Yamaha 50hp,I replaced it last year.The tattle tale looks like it wasn't putting out as much pressure.It is a full stream, maybe something in the hose?

Replacement depends on the water you are running in and after care. If the water has alot of silt consider no more then 2 years, saltwater 3 years, freshwater 5 years. On reassembly use vasoline on the pump housing and impeller this will help the 1st time you turn it over and set the impeller vanes the right direction and not run on a dry surface.

Save your back use a floor jack to push the lower unit back up in place. If limited on space drop you trailer tongue on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by coues32 View Post
    It is a Yamaha 50hp,I replaced it last year.The tattle tale looks like it wasn't putting out as much pressure.It is a full stream, maybe something in the hose?
    Run a piece of mig wire in the tell tale to clear any debris in the line.
    I had mine partially plug up once and this trick fixed it right up.

A 18" length of 100lb hard Mono cut at an angle can really get in there to help break out a clog

I change mine every other year. I run some pretty silty water. I have a spare on board too.
    Back-flushing the tell tale with water is the best to clear any obstructions is the best as far as I'm concerned. I carry a piece of fuel line with the pumper ball to pump water back through the system. Works great.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa