Thread: caribou sausage pointers

Default caribou sausage pointers

hoping to get a caribou next time i get home from the slope. I dont want to bring anything to a butcher/processor if I can avoid it. so...... anybody got a good recipe for making caribou sausage (without adding beef fat) and a recommendation for casing. Also I could use some idea of how much meat I could expect to end up with for sausage after all the cuts have been removed, hopefully from a nice bull.

You pretty much need to add ground pork or some kind of fat to make a good sausage with game meat. I like using hog casings. They are easy to use and make good sausage casing. Buy a good book on making sausage or get the receipes online. I like smoked keilbasa the best. If you dont add fat to caribou the sausage will be very dry. Good Luck.

+1 for adding some kind of fat. I recently made summer sausage, brats, italian, chorizo and smoked a portion of all of them, ran about 1/3 ground pork shoulder into the mix. It definitely makes a difference. I have some from a buddy without any added fat, and when cooked, even the dog can't swallow them. (I've tried it in the past as well, you have to cook them to perfection to be safe AND tasty...and I ain't perfikt!)

Don't grind the stuff too fine for these sausages either, a single grind leaves some texture to the brats and italian, and leaves the summer sausage and chorizo more appealing looking as it's not all grey, but instead looks like....sausage.

There are lots of spice mixes available online, in the end they are cheaper than trying to mix your own since you won't end up having bulk spices sitting around in your house forever. And it's just more convenient. OTher than that, making sausage is great, I mean truly enjoyable and generally clean and easy to get a really good product that looks and tastes good. I've made most of mine with hog casings, but have tried sheep for breakfast links....sheep are kind of a pain, so I just make patties when I make breakfast sausage.

again, add some kind of fat, that's what sausage is made of....trimmings, so as to waste not want not....unfortunatley, I don't think fatty bits of caribou would do the trick, so you'll have to borrow from their domesticated cousins. Have fun.

A quick fix is using bacon. This adds a subtle flavor as well as adding the fat. I used a scale when I first started, trying to get the right percentage. About 12 to 20 percent is usually recommended. Now I grind the meats separately the first time- using a 1/2" grind plate. Then I mix the two types of meat with my spices till it feels right- then grind that through together using a 3/8 or 1/4" plate. Cook a little in a skillet, taste and adjust or stuff. Remember, some spices will grow in flavor while in the freezer. I like the synthic casings, they last forever and don't need long soaking and rinsing to use. For dinner sausages, itailen and such, I use about 14 percent fat. For breakfast style sausages, I up it to 18 to 22 percent. Just like the flavor when frying, and gives you something to cook eggs or flatcakes in too.

Chris

Butcherpacker.com has good supplies and recipes. Synthetic casings are a lot faster and more user friendly - I use real and synthetic, but after a long day of processing meat the synthetics get the vote by all involved.

Sausage isn't sausage unless you put 1/3 pork/pork fat in it. It is all in the texture. Grind once - mixing the two meats together in chunks that your grinder likes. Mix the spices and ice into it then re-grind it. (The ice adds water for cooking - make sure that your grinder can handle it).

For b-fast and hot spicy italian sausages (mmmm, pizza) I push the second grinding into plastic 1.5 pound bags and seal with a taper -it is fast and works great.

You can get smoking grade cheese from butcherpacker - it doesn't melt in the smoker like regular cheese.

I make my burger much leaner than I do the sausages......but sausage isn't sausage without the fat in it.

For summer sausage I use the 2" synthetic and 1.5" real casings. For beer sticks I prefer the synthetic in about 5/8" od.