Thread: 12 more hrs till I'm fly fishing for pike :)

Default 12 more hrs till I'm fly fishing for pike :)

I'm pretty excited 12 more hrs till I'm on a plane to Minto flats for some pike fishing!! Bought 10 more flies today so I don't run out. Taking my Dad, my fishing bud(my son) and a good friend. I'll be the only one using a fly . Any bets on the biggest Pike and who catches it .... Hint I guarantee its me , even if I have to remove every barb but mine LOL!!

PS if you have a secret spot plz PM me

PWA

Awesome man!!! Post some pics if possible!!!
    Fish ON!!!

You guys should have one heluva time!! Don't for get the sunblock....tomorrow is gonna be a scorcher out there..

Got my camera and 3 batt's charged, some 30spf packed I hope it a nice day like today was may even try for a video of a monster Then you guys can see how horrible I cast...LoL

PWA

Topwater Pike is always good fun, take bug spray and have a great time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrddSLb-5_M
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by PWA View Post
    PS if you have a secret spot plz PM me
    PWA
    No secret spots out there. Work the edges of the weeds, and look for deep points and dropoffs once the sun gets way up in the sky. I was out there the other day and the bite basically turned off at 10 am - until I went deeper and found them again. The water is way up in the grass so remember to fish out from the "bank" a little ways.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Excellent advice, Skinny. Best time for pike is early and late in the day.Vary your retrieve and continue to expect a strike right up next to you. Pike stalk their prey and often seem indecisive. Wire leaders are nice. Good luck!Jim

Very disappointed with the fishing. caught 4 fish total : ( Everyone but my son have fished for pike at different place around Alaska(including Minto), it was my first time using a fly rod, and first time at Minto. Rick (of Marina Air) told us when he picked us up that he was worried about the fishing since a storm front moved in. Which did happen we had 30mph winds for over half the day then rain. But we still had fun and I Did catch the biggest pike at 26"... was great on a fly rod... need to get more of them and larger.

My fishing buddie ^^^ my son : ) wish he would have caught something. May buy a lift for my Zodiac and try running up there.

PWA