Thread: No tomatoes yet - are they coming? Zuc question too.

At the end of the cul-de-sac

Default No tomatoes yet - are they coming? Zuc question too.

The wife and I planted several tomato plants of all different varieties. I think we probably have upwards of 15-20 plants in the greenhouse. The greenhouse has been plenty warm and we keep them watered pretty well, although not too much. The plants are huge (not leggy though) and have tons of yellow blossoms all over them. We've run a fan in there and shake them occasionally to aid in pollination. Despite all of the blossoms, we are not seeing any tomatoes on any of the plants. If they are not here yet, are we going to run out of time to actually have tomatoes? We planted them from seed back in May and they've been very strong plants. They showed lots of signs of promise, but we are starting to wonder if all we are going to get is a bunch of yellow blooms.

Any thoughts?

We've got a number of green zuchinni in and will probably pick those in a few days. Our yellow zuc plants, however, have several vegetables in, but they are all rotten. They are soft and mushy, with a couple near the bottom even haven completely molded over. This was when they were very small - they didn't grow to size and then mold away, they are just not making it. What could be the cause of this? My wife mentioned that one of the broccoli heads is also rotting away.

We have a lot of plants in the greenhouse. Is it possible to put too many in there, and cause problems for all of them?

Thanks in advance.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Alaska, Mat valley

I start my tomatoes from seeds in March (in the house/grow light/buy a window) so I can put them in the GH as good sized plants.
    You got a late start with seeds in May, better to buy from a nursery if starting seeds in March is not doable.
    You are right, if you don't have tomatoes thumb nail sized by now you may not get very many ripe ones.
    The leggy issue may be too high of nitrogen fertilizer, next year mix in some bone meal (lower in nitrogen & higher in phosphorus) in the soil before planting (around 4-15-0 NPK) to promote good root growth & blossoms when the plants are first planted in the GH. I use MG for tomatoes starting in June, add about every 2 weeks.

I only grow toms, cucs & peppers in the GH, everything else in the garden. My zucs are doing great so far, more than I can use for sure.
    Yellow squash, I grew outdoors but it didn't do well, a few years ago, but this years it was warmer & they may have done well.
    I can see them molding in a GH, they like dryer air & moist soil to do well (rainy years I have lots of zucs rot on the vine)
    Are you pollenating the female blooms? They will rot if not pollenated. You can use zuc pollen for the yellows, just don't save the seeds to plant. I'd pull the plant out of the GH if it's not producing, they take up lots of space & in a few weeks we'll cool down & the moisture inside the GH will be allot more & cause mold on everything it it's too crowded.

I pull the blooms & prune to thin out the crowded plants (starting about now), from tomatoes (not cherry toms) since they don't have enough time to grow & ripen & they stay small on top of the 6 ft plants. I remove many of the lower leaves & snip the tops. Mold is an issue I fight in the GH starting in August, so I learned to thin the foliage quit a bit so the nice sized green tomatoes get ripe (& don't mold)

Maybe we'll get a nice warm long fall, & some of your tomatoes will get a chance to ripen.
    Good luck.