Thread: Another Kenai Dipnet Question!!!

Default Another Kenai Dipnet Question!!!

I'm THINKING about heading to the Kenai, but I live in Wasilla and it's a heck of a drive. I could leave work tomorrow at about 2pm, be home by 3pm, loaded up and on the road by 3:30pm and in Kenai by 7:30pm. It seems that it's a 24 hour fishery right now so we COULD dip net Saturday night and definitely Sunday morning. I'd need to find a cabin or hotel for the family and I, but is it worth it? Part of me says roll the dice and wait to see if Fish Creek opens, but part of me wants to get out of the house this weekend and partake in some of this record breaking fish run.

Is it worth a one night run? With the commercial fishery running on Saturday is it even worth it (I don't fully understand all of the OTF, Commercial fishery, etc terminology)? I don't have a boat, are people doing well from shore? Need some serious advice here and need it quick if I want to get reservations somewhere to stay

As always, thank you in advance for the help!

Why not hedge your bets and split the difference. There is decent lodging in Cooper Landing and the sockeye should be moving into the Upper Kenai by now. With the bag limit being upped to 6, depending on how many are in your family you could do quite well, save the extra drive time, still get outta the house, etc.

Just sayin'.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Why not hedge your bets and split the difference. There is decent lodging in Cooper Landing and the sockeye should be moving into the Upper Kenai by now. With the bag limit being upped to 6, depending on how many are in your family you could do quite well, save the extra drive time, still get outta the house, etc.

Just sayin'.
    If he is gonna split the difference I got one better. Save the $500.00 on lodging and gas and drive to New Sagaya in Anchorage, they have CI red salmon for 4.99 a lb! He could get 100lbs filleted or steaked for free which will provide him 200 6oz red salmon meals, that will take him right in to next salmon season ( I might add its sand and beach feces free). He'll have time to get the family down to Burma and catch your limit of silvers. Its a win win cause he avoids the gridlock of dippers

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

LOL! I agree with all of the above. If you just need meat in the freezer, you can't beat FB's suggestion and it's the cheapest route of them all. If you just wanna get out and enjoy the outdoors, I'd recommend AH's suggestion (there's plenty of fish rolling in the Russian area, you could probably limit out in an hour or two if you have your flossing technique down). Or, if you really want to deal with the weekend dipnetting circus, head down to Kenai. Expect to walk quite some distance to get to the beach. Last minute reservations might be close to impossible. The commercial opener doesn't really matter as there are more than enough fish for everyone to have some. It's the luck of having your net in the water when a school passes by. That's it. Just blind luck. Don't buy into all that OTF hogwash.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!