Thread: Paddling Sixmile Creek

Default Paddling Sixmile Creek

I have a trip down Sixmile tomorrow (Saturday) if anyone is interested in joining. My 14' SB seems to be full with me rowing and 4 paddlers. There are two other cats going with, but we wouldn't mind sharing the creek with more boats. If you haven't been through there, the three canyon sections get progressively more difficult: class IV, Class IV+ and class V. The water is medium low, which makes it relatively safe, but also somewhat technical, so no novices please. But you can row the first canyon and see how you're doing before committing the the second one, and then the third, class V section.

I don't mind coaching people through it if they have some decent rowing experience. If you've always wanted to run Sixmile, but lacked opportunity, this might be it. More info here: http://paddling.jimstrutz.com/page6.html

We will meet at Carrs Huffman at 9am, and plan on being at the put in about 11am. Kayakers & expert canoers always welcome.

Jim Strutz
    748-4858

Dang I really hate to miss this trip! I am at work until Tuesday. If you do it again anytime in the near future I would be very interested in going! I have been several times with NOVA and always wanted to take my own boat through but so far have not.

Lots of fun! Three small-medium sized cats, three 14' self bailers, an IK and a 12' WW canoe did the first two canyon. The canoe dumped in canyon 1 & 2, but was quite an experienced paddler and rode in my raft for canon 3. A 14' SB and one cat also bailed after canyon 2. The IK had an unfortunate spill near the beginning of canyon three and swam most of the way from Staircase to Suckhole, so we rolled up his boat, stuffed it my raft and added him as a paddler. He really is a good IK paddler and will likely do it again without issue. One of the raft captains misplaced an oar against the wall in canyon one that slapped him from the boat, but otherwise no other issues from the rafts/cats.

Weather cooperated and was moderately warm until the final takeout when it started sprinkling a bit. Water was moderately low, flowing about 1000 cfs (9.5' on the internet gauge). I'd like to do it again in August, as I am tied up with work until then. Probably be considerably lower by then, unless this rain keeps up.

Sounds like a great day on the water! I could be in town August 3rd to the 9th (depending on which plans I commit to in the next couple days) and would love to go if you decide to do it again. Not sure how well my 18' leapard will fit. What is your opinion?

I drove a Leopard down the first two canyons once. At low water there are a couple of tight spots in canyons 1 & 2, but especially The Anvil in canyon 2 gets really tight with boats that are both long and wide. I trimmed about 8" from the frame width on my Cougar years ago just so it would fit better. It can be done though.

Count me in if I am not hunting when you run it! Depending on the flow I would use my 14'R or the Alpackas.
    -JR