Thread: Need help with Granite Tors trail...???

Default Need help with Granite Tors trail...???

I went out there a few weeks ago for the first time and hiked a few miles down what I thought was the trail. I followed the river from the parking area along a well defined trail that had trail markers, however, the trail was insanely swampy (there were no foot bridges like I've seen in pictures) and it did not look like it had been well maintained. I've read that the trail is supposed to fork off into an East trail and West trail at mile 0.3, but I walked at least three to four miles and did not see a fork anywhere. I eventually stopped when the trail abruptly ended at an 8 foot stream that flowed into the Chena without any way to cross it.

Where did I go wrong?

It should have funnelled you right down the trail? If you park in the parking lot on the north side of the road, you should walk south to the road/bridge, then cross the river on the bridge. Then cross the road and step over the gaurd rail onto the trail. From there the trail should just take you on the loop...unless something has changed recently. The fork occurrs right at the sighn about a half a mile down the trail.

Good luck

So after you park in the overnight lot, you have to walk across Chena Hotsprings Road to get to the trail? That would explain it. I was on the wrong side of the river. Thanks a bunch!